Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Larry of the Lawn

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

After my morning workout I went on a quick supply run. Liquor store is looking bleak and co-owner thinks they'll be forced to close one way or another in the next few days. Decided to get a double load even though I didn't need much.

Was hoping for a sense of normalcy, so I went to Burger King despite not having had fast food in a while. It said it was open, but nobody was there.

Parking lots for all these huge stores at a mall were empty. Only the grocery store had cars at it.

Empty as fuck. 

Way different experience in the west burbs. Target parking lot was about 3/4 full and except for TP, paper towels, and some canned goods, shelves were relatively stocked. Drove up to maple grove and the malls looked about as full as any normal Saturday. Lowe’s was about the same yesterday and today. Only thing I can visibly see hurting are the closed restaurants.

I’m more concerned that people aren’t taking this seriously enough out here. That and if this goes on for an extended period, that we won’t be able to get food for our son who is allergic to peanuts, dairy, eggs, and sesame. Probably will drive an hour or two west just to be sure we have beans, rice, tomatoes, etc... later this week

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Way different experience in the west burbs. Target parking lot was about 3/4 full and except for TP, paper towels, and some canned goods, shelves were relatively stocked. Drove up to maple grove and the malls looked about as full as any normal Saturday. Lowe’s was about the same yesterday and today. Only thing I can visibly see hurting are the closed restaurants.

I’m more concerned that people aren’t taking this seriously enough out here. That and if this goes on for an extended period, that we won’t be able to get food for our son who is allergic to peanuts, dairy, eggs, and sesame. Probably will drive an hour or two west just to be sure we have beans, rice, tomatoes, etc... later this week

MG is more outer ring, but that place could be so hit or miss on any damn thing. Avoid Minnetonka. There's nothing there from what I can tell. You'll probably have some luck in EP, Channy and Chaska though. If things get desperate.

New York is testing at a level far beyond other states, or even most other countries. They aren't at South Korea levels per capita, not even close (no one is; except maybe Singapore and Tawain), but they're closer than anywhere else in the US. So it makes sense that they are seeing so many positive cases. The more relevant numbers are for hospitalizations and deaths. And those'll go up for sure. But right now, the latest I've seen is 15,168 cases, 1,974 hospitalizations, and 114 deaths. That's a 13% hospitalization rate and a 0.7% fatality rate, which are both quite a bit better than worldwide averages. What remains to be seen is how much is it because the cases are still new versus New York being able to test people beyond just the very sickest.

And that's with testing still far below South Korean levels; the hospitalization and fatalities rates would be pushed much lower still with all the additional positive tests that would pop up with even more expanded testing. Which is why is so fucking bad that testing is likely to slow down again soon due to lack of supplies.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Only 651 deaths in italy today compared with nearly 800 yesterday. And the smallest daily % increase in overall cases. They needed some positive news. Hope it's not just an anomaly. 

They were hoping to see effects from their lockdown after 2-3 weeks which is the next week and a bit. Hopefully the reduction in the rate of new cases might be the start of it but we'll probably need to see a few more days data before being confident about it.

The number of new cases today was down in Spain as well (3107 vs 3925, 3494 and 3308 in the previous three days), although deaths were up there.

The UK figures are better than yesterday as well, which is possibly a bit more suspicious given that we started shutting things down so much later so might not be seeing the effects yet.

Across Europe it seems to be a mix, some countries are showing reductions in the the rate of new cases but in others the increase in continuing.

The totals in the East Asian countries seem to be holding steady with China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan reporting new cases in double figures and deaths in single figures, but they're going to have to remain vigilant for a long time to come to keep things that way.

It looks like the US are on track to have the most official infections soon, I suspect they might already have most actual infections (admittedly spread over a huge population).

Of course, one complication with looking at these number is that they depend both on the number of infections and the effectiveness of the testing. If the testing becomes less effective then the number of cases would look better. The death count might be more reliable but even that can have errors and we might expect improvements it to lag behind improvements in the number of new cases.

Here in rural northern Wisconsin our county hasn't yet reported a positive case.

Aldis is rationing T.Paper to one 12 pack per customer. We do make the stuff at nearby mills so I'm hoping those guys stay operational !

Our company isn't going to shutter for now, but I'm extremely depressed at the thought of whether that will be sustainable as the virus count rises. Gas is $1.85 a gallon and dropping.

The mood at work is like I remembered after 9/11.

@HelenaExMachina I had that similar conversation with my gran earlier, really feel and relate even more right now because,fuck that was tough.

She's well and healthy and went out to do some gardening in the sunshine after I'd left, I held it together until I left but had a cry and a very reflective drive home :(.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

So, they started testing in jails and yes it's in there. The humane thing to do is probably to release all prisoners. And put the spring-breakers in there.

Um, I hope they're screening violent offenders before they think of letting them out.  At the very least, notify their victims.  I can't imagine being in a situation where some stalker or spouse abuser is set free and shows up at your door to extract a little vengeance.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Geez, 13,960 new cases in the US reported so far today. 38,167 total.

That sure blew past the 30,500 'warning light' RBC analysts came up with.

Interesting - Worldometer seem to have taken down their numbers, perhaps an entry error was made. Now it says 32,356 and only 8,149 new cases. Good news, I guess.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Interesting - Worldometer seem to have taken down their numbers, perhaps an entry error was made. Now it says 32,356 and only 8,149 new cases. Good news, I guess.

It’s a very well presented site, but they’ve been jumping the gun a little on some stats. It seems like some news sites cobble together the numbers based on regional additions and worldometer add those, they’ve had the wrong U.K. stats a few times now.

Second death in Slovenia today, and over 400 cases altogether. It may sound little compared to other countries, but this is a country with 2 million inhabitants altogether.

On top of this epidemic, there was a strong earthquake early today morning close to Zagreb, Croatia. Some buildings in central Zagreb were damaged and are unsafe - I don't know where they are going to isolate all the people who cannot return to their homes now.

Here in Slovenia, we felt the earthquake, but nothing was damaged. I barely felt it as I was half asleep at the time.

According to local news Poland and the Czech Republic intercepted PPE ordered by Italy. The Czech Republic claimed that the equipment was stolen but some of it was later discovered in Czech Hospitals. 

Germany stopped PPE ordered by Austria earlier this week. 

It seem every country for itself is how the EU member states are handling this.

China and Russia seem better partners for countries which need PPE right now. 

I would not be completely surprised if this crisis is the death blow that will kill the EU. 

Edit: Austria for example has hospitals that are mostly empty right now and in the meantime people across the border are dying.

So, there's been a lot of talk about Italy's numbers and how we all need to be careful not to go the same way coz they've been on lockdown for two weeks and still rising, right. And fair enough we do need to be careful but we were just told that as of today they'll be shutting open-air markets and all non-essential shops and businesses, and it's like, what the hell kind of lockdown was it that they weren't doing that already?

Well my State just issued a stay at home order.  I’m waiting to hear if I’m going to be considered “essential”.  My guess is I’m going to have to go to work at least for this week.  The good news in only 16 people have tested positive in my Parish with no deaths.  New Orleans however, their numbers are pretty high for their population.  Once again I worry about the future of the city I grew up in.

19 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I would not be completely surprised if this crisis is the death blow that will kill the EU. 

On the other hand I have seen many an opinion that everyone, including the Italian government, is totally aware that such a health crisis lies utterly outside the jurisdiction of the EU. The main problem is the complete helplessness in how von der Leyen responded to the kneejerk shutting down of borders.

3 minutes ago, Toth said:

The main problem is the complete helplessness in how von der Leyen responded to the kneejerk shutting down of borders.

How this woman is still in any sort of political position is a mystery to me. But then as a German, I have been wondering that for years in regards to most of our politicians.

Just now, Toth said:

On the other hand I have seen many an opinion that everyone, including the Italian government, is totally aware that such a health crisis lies utterly outside the jurisdiction of the EU. The main problem is the complete helplessness in how von der Leyen responded to the kneejerk shutting down of borders.

I always believed in the "spirit" of the EU. Solidarity and the protection of human rights.

I guess I should have stopped believing in that bullshit during the refugee crisis...  

Archived