Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Larry of the Lawn

2 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

I’ve been getting her about a weeks worth of things at once.

I think what you’re doing to help your elderly neighbour and others in your community is really great and I hope you,them and your brother are ok and stay safe :).

Thank you and bless you for taking care of your mom so diligently.  I hope all goes well for you and dear mom also. 

11 hours ago, Mudguard said:

We won't need a 6 month lockdown if we implement a strict, nationwide lockdown for about two months

The key here is "We" and "We" aren't.

Someone we know slightly flew into JFK last night from Mexico.  They filled out forms about contact and so on while away.  Deplaning, nobody asked to see them or collect them.  There was no testing.  They went through and into a taxi in record time flat.  Shyte, with this sort of leadership and organization Northman's "Cold Equations" rhetorical logic fallacy isn't even in play. 

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The key here is "We" and "We" aren't.

Someone we know slightly flew into JFK last night from Mexico.  They filled out forms about contact and so on while away.  Deplaning, nobody asked to see them or collect them.  There was no testing.  They went through and into a taxi in record time flat.  Shyte, with this sort of leadership and organization Northman's "Cold Equations" rhetorical logic fallacy isn't even in play. 

I was thinking some more on this yesterday and actually, we need a worldwide lockdown for 2 months.  Otherwise, even if the US gets rid of coronavirus, travelers will keep on bringing it back unless we automatically test and quarantine every person coming into the US.  China is seeing this problem now, where the vast majority of new cases are being brought into the country from outside, which means that they will need to screen and potentially quarantine all travelers until coronavirus is largely eliminated from the world.  Right now, that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.  We might need a vaccine to get this under control, which won't come for another 12 months or so, at best.

Restricting travel seems like a much better choice. While it'll hurt the airline travel a lot, it's otherwise a fairly contained part of the economy. 

That said, right now Trump is mulling @Free Northman Reborn's plan of just letting everyone get sick so that we don't hurt the economy too much, so that gives you a good idea of how great that plan is.

6 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

All that is good and well, but what if the outbreak continues after 1 month?

Honestly, if the US doesn't enact a national lockdown, really if the entire world doesn't enact a worldwide lockdown, the mitigation strategy is probably doomed to failure.  At best, we will see waves of infection until either a vaccine is developed or so many people are infected that there is herd immunity.  

With respect to a national US lockdown, I don't think we have the stomach to go past 1 to 2 months.  Trump needs to make a decision very soon, probably this week, if he wants to impose or recommend a national lockdown.  At the current rate of infection, we should pass 100,000 cases within a week.

Mixed personal news on my end.

The good: got my hands on a pack of TP, and also toast (this is like winning the tripple crown of shopping these days)

The bad: that nullifies Ty's plan of selling me overprized TP rolls (altho I am curious, would you have offered crapazon prime with overnight shipping?)

The ugly: I think I might have caught a cold. I am sneezing a bit, and my nose has started to run somewhere, anywhere. WIthout a sore throat or persistent cough, I assume it's just that, and not covid.

Continuing with the ugly on a more relevant/general level.

I dread to think of what will happen if this goes on for a few months. While the food supply chain is not in danger of getting interrupted atm, but if fruit pickers/farm hands were to stay in their Eastern European home countries (Poland and Romania), I can see that having an impact.

The silly. You know things have not too gone well, when Cuba is sending doctors to help Italy deal with the Corona crisis.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The silly. You know things have not too gone well, when Cuba is sending doctors to help Italy deal with the Corona crisis.

Why? Cuba has one of the best medical education systems in the world and had made it a habit to export doctors to major health disasters across though world, which is often overlooked because those happen mostly in the developing world. I guess it's more embarrassing that we aren't willing to help them this much (because we are expecting to be hit just as hard the next few weeks and frankly, at least in Germany have cut our personnel down too much anyway to have any to spare).

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve been wondering what sports networks are going to do with, ya know, no sports. Seems like the early answer is the rock skipping championships and a 5 hour birthday special for Peyton Manning. :ack:

Fucking rock skipping, seriously? How is it judged, total number of skips, distance, aesthetically? I need to know. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve been wondering what sports networks are going to do with, ya know, no sports. Seems like the early answer is the rock skipping championships and a 5 hour birthday special for Peyton Manning. :ack:

Last night, unless I hallucinated this, ESPN re-broadcast WrestleMania 30.

In Sweden, things are cautiously positive -- Stockholm's health care system expected a surge in cases this weekend which never materialized, and other regions have largely seen only a small to modest increase in confirmed cases (which are basically cases that need hospitalization or among health care workers, the only ones being tested right now). Deaths have reached either 25 or 27 -- a report of two deaths (so far all older people, FWIW) may have been part of the national update or it may be coming in after the national update and no one really knows -- but that means we're 25% or more off the expected doubling rate of deaths every 3 days that some have used as the most dependable metric for whether you're "Bending the curve" or not. And i ngeneral new cases is trending downward. Whether this is a statistical mirage or evidence that Sweden's measured approach (plus its geographic distribution, i.e. fairly low density outside of larger cities) is working, we don't know yet. Fingers crossed.

They do have a measure for what they believe the peak will be, and believe that Stockholm will need 250 ICU beds at the time. They're still converting the exhibition hall to help with that, and we have a field hospital that the Swedish military has set up somewhere or other.

Personally, life does not feel very different for us. Toilet paper supplies are starting to become more prevalent at stores, there was a brief run on yeast but that seems to have abated, and so on. With any luck, the worst will be behind us in the next few weeks.

I'm getting really worried about New Orleans.   New Orleans percentage of the populace testing positive is at .14%.  Higher than New York City's .12% and equal to King County's percentage of .14%.  

If this thing was around in February than New Orleans had the possibility of a mass community spread from Mardi Gras.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fucking rock skipping, seriously? How is it judged, total number of skips, distance, aesthetically? I need to know. 

I have no idea, but they were talking about it on the radio. There was also competitive running up slippery stairs. It’s from ESPN’s The Ocho gag stolen from the movie Dodgeball. Pretty funny stuff actually.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

Thank you and bless you for taking care of your mom so diligently.  I hope all goes well for you and dear mom also. 

It’s my grandma I’m looking after, me and my mum don’t really talk or see each other. It’s a worry for all of us with elderly people we care about, I can’t believe some people can be so heartless to only think about the economy, of course it’s important too but people’s lives should always come first no matter what their age.

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

What do you mean?? Cuba has stellar doctors and sends them all over the world all the fucking time. A very surprising percentage of doctors in Africa are Cuban. This is what Cuba does.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You know things have not too gone well, when Cuba is sending doctors to help Italy deal with the Corona crisis.

Which they damn well need themselves in Cuba.  If Fidel was still running the country, the country wouldn't have a virus epidemic.  He'd have locked down the airport to Italians at the first news -- it was Italians with it / positive that brought covid 19 to Cuba.

Cuba's got nothing to fight this with though, as trumpista has made it impossible for them to make money, get things, and all the rest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/world/asia/coronavirus-india-socia-distancing.html

We're about to see a repeat of Iran and Qom, this time in Uttar Predesh -- center of Moti's supporters.  The Hindus have scheduled the great opening of their new temple built on the site of a mosque these great supports of Modi destroyed a few years back, on great Hindu religious holiday.

41 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Restricting travel seems like a much better choice. While it'll hurt the airline travel a lot, it's otherwise a fairly contained part of the economy. 

That said, right now Trump is mulling @Free Northman Reborn's plan of just letting everyone get sick so that we don't hurt the economy too much, so that gives you a good idea of how great that plan is.

Yeah, restricting travel would be the logical thing to do if you can eliminate the disease in your country.  However, at this point, I don't see this pandemic being resolved across the world in the next 6 months.  After watching this unfold over the past several weeks, the West clearly doesn't have the will to do what is necessary to implement an effective mitigation strategy like what has been done in Asia.  We also might get waves of infection that last until there is an effective vaccine (which is not guaranteed).  If we can't get control of the disease in the next 3 months, I think there's a chance that we'll just accept it like the flu.

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Last night, unless I hallucinated this, ESPN re-broadcast WrestleMania 30.

Desperate times will make some strange bedfellows. I wonder where we’ll be in two months if this persists, which it probably will.

Archived