Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Larry of the Lawn

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

She hasn't gotten the message that this is about others, not her.  Just because she feels fine doesn't mean she's not spreading the infection.  People just don't seem to understand this.  Or don't want to. Or don't care.  It's hard to tell sometimes.

I know. We've all tried talking to her, but she's incredibly stubborn. Short of physically restraining her, we don't really know what to do.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just because more and more people are completing high school - as well as getting college educations - since, like, the 40s doesn't mean it has anything to do with the degrading respect for expertise.  That latter trend began significantly after the former trend.  I'd say the degrading respect for expertise started around mid-70s - right around the time trust in government tanked after Vietnam and Watergate.

Why not both? Think how those two factors could interact. An increase in low level knowledge combined with the experts fucking up left and right could cause the average person to be mistrustful and think they know just as well. 

I went on a two mile walk/run with my dog a bit ago. Normally the area would be busy on a sunny Saturday with no wind, despite the cold. I think I saw three other people with dogs and a few joggers. It's a good thing, but still, eerie. 

I hate to say this, because I've been through grim conversations with my parents (passed on 23 years ago and 10 years ago) but this virus will mean a lot of people need to have those conversations. And you may not be in control, because your parents or other loved one have their own lives and desires. And will make their own decisions. 

Try as much as you can to make sure they know how you feel, but be prepared for answers you don't like.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why not both? Think how those two factors could interact. An increase in low level knowledge combined with the experts fucking up left and right could cause the average person to be mistrustful and think they know just as well. 

Except trust in government has the opposite relationship with education levels - the least educated are likely to have the least trust in government - so the interaction would be the opposite of what you're proposing.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I went on a two mile walk/run with my dog a bit ago. Normally the area would be busy on a sunny Saturday with no wind, despite the cold. I think I saw three other people with dogs and a few joggers. It's a good thing, but still, eerie. 

I went into the woods with my dog today, some 20 km out of the city, and thought it would be completely empty. Instead it was packed with people. Could't find a place on a parking lot. Families, joggers, young and old alike. I had to go off the trail just to avoid having to pass someone every 30 seconds or so.

On another note, I have been thinking about these (not offically confirmed AFAIK) differences based on a blood type. I'm not an expert, obviously, but it seems kinda strange to me. When you touch a surface with the virus on and then touch your mouth or nose - you just get infected. When someone infected coughs straight at your face - you get infected. It really doesn't seem to matter much what blood type you are. Unless people with certain blood types (0 apparently in this case) might somehow not get infected even if directly exposed to the virus. But how is it even possible?

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Tell her to have a pan of hot soapy water by the door, wash the grocery items, throw out the bag outside in the trash can and then scrub her hands. Soap and water kills the virus. She could also take stuff out of packaging, put the contents in storage conrainers and toss the packaging. And wash her hands.

Thanks, I will tell her to do that, I was also thinking I could make spray a cloth and wipe down some items packaging with Dettol spray but it's probably easier to just throw out the packaging and store like you said.

The main thing will be managing to get stuff in the supermarket, I'm going to go tomorrow morning.

In experts being optimistic news: Peter Doherty, who won the Nobel for his work on the immune systems defense against viruses (so about as big an authority in the field as you could get), is on record for saying that 1) He thinks reinfection is very unlikely, at least in the short term and 2) A vaccine in 12 months is realistic given the amount of resources getting thrown at the problem.

Widespread reports in the UK today, normally the first day of the Easter Holiday, that people are still going on fucking holiday. Some rural villages and towns reporting hordes of people descending on them, emptying out the local tiny supermarket, campsites still being set up etc. No hard figures so difficult to tell if this is really as bad as it sounds, but that is completely and totally insane.

2 minutes ago, sologdin said:

school as the commencement of punitive govermental oppression for those who don't do well.

Right, black americans have an enduring reason to be distrustful of almost any institution.  Including because they still get fucked over from access to quality education by kindergarten.

OK secret insecurities: dos anyone know when they say hypertension is one of things that makes the outcome worse, whether that includes hypertension controlled by medication?

2 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I know. We've all tried talking to her, but she's incredibly stubborn. Short of physically restraining her, we don't really know what to do.

This is so hard and frustrating for you all.  Would it help at all if you tell her that she cares even a little bit for her family she'll do that?  Little kids can sometimes get it too, it seems.  But then, I hasten to say, I have no more hard facts than you do, other than I do know physical distancing at this time is the only way to begin reversing the catastrophe, as we're without tests, gloves, masks, sanitizer, medications, medical care, leadership etc.

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Widespread reports in the UK today, normally the first day of the Easter Holiday, that people are still going on fucking holiday. Some rural villages and towns reporting hordes of people descending on them, emptying out the local tiny supermarket, campsites still being set up etc. No hard figures so difficult to tell if this is really as bad as it sounds, but that is completely and totally insane.

Lots of second home owners deciding to self isolate at their country place, it seems. The Scottish government has told people to stop going to the Highlands.

14 minutes ago, Castellan said:

OK secret insecurities: dos anyone know when they say hypertension is one of things that makes the outcome worse, whether that includes hypertension controlled by medication?

Yeah I have hypertension as well so that's something I've been worried about too. There's some hypothesises that certain hypertension medication (ARBs) which block the ACE2 receptor (which is the putative entry mechanism for the virus) may exacerbate the disease. Alternatively there's a case the medication may help and there's even some suggestion of trailing ARBs as a COVID-19 treatment. But the current reported stats just aren't giving the level of detail needed about the cases to form any conclusions. All that's known is there's a strong link between hypertension and severe cases.

So basically whether it's hypertension itself being out of control, the medication for the disease exacerbating the virus, or some other factor involved, at the moment we just don't know. So the advice is to continue any meds as normal for the time being.

Sorry that's probably not too reassuring.

1 hour ago, Jen'ari said:

Thanks, I will tell her to do that, I was also thinking I could make spray a cloth and wipe down some items packaging with Dettol spray but it's probably easier to just throw out the packaging and store like you said.

The main thing will be managing to get stuff in the supermarket, I'm going to go tomorrow morning.

Go first thing, for them opening - shelves are restocked overnight so anything they have in stock will be out in the morning. Was speaking to an attendant today about it, who said stuff has usually gone after 2-3 hours. That said, I noticed that while the shelves were sparse today when I called in (for shampoo, luckily, nothing there has been a rush on) they didn't look quite as bad as they have looked. 

*deep breath*

I also had that conversation with my nanna today. She was very ill from around October/November 2018-May 2019 with various stomach problems - ulcers, cancer scares, etc. She got over that but needed carers to come in and help her look after herself - this continued until it was reviewed a week and a half ago and decided she no longer needed them. We were actually relieved by this as it meant none of her carers could bring anything into her house. 

Today we went over for a final visit, me and my mam we sat in her back garden (accessed via a side alley, didn't go through the house) and spoke to her through her conservatory windows. She told us she was so very happy to have had another year of joy that she had never expected to have after her hospitalisation and she was so grateful for everything we had done for her. Told us how proud she was of us, and how she wished my granddad could have seen me graduate and get my job because he was always so proud of me too. She told us where her will was, told us all the arrangements that had to be made had been made, told us what they were. Said she didn't care much what happened for her funeral as long as we promised to sprinkle her ashes over her family grave plot "So I can be back with him" [my granddad, who was estranged from his family and so we sprinkled his ashes in her family plot])

Told us not to worry about her, to look after ourselves and take care of each other and she loved us all so much. 

Mam and I were both in tears, naturally. 

Will continue to ring her every day. But yeah, feeling very drained right now

24 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Lots of second home owners deciding to self isolate at their country place, it seems. The Scottish government has told people to stop going to the Highlands.

I saw someone on Facebook ranting about people trying to travel on the ferry to Islay and Jura off the west coast and Scotland and how they haven't thought about the nearest ICU being a long helicopter ride away. Given the potential difficulties of healthcare for severe cases of coronavirus I think there would be a good argument for only letting local residents and deliveries on the ferries to the islands.

NYC and LA are saying that they will begin testing only people for whom a positive diagnosis might change their treatment regimen. 

That's...bad, right? Like that means they're already being overwhelmed?

Or am I panicking because I'm sick?

17 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

NYC and LA are saying that they will begin testing only people for whom a positive diagnosis might change their treatment regimen. 

That's...bad, right? Like that means they're already being overwhelmed?

Or am I panicking because I'm sick?

Take care of yourself.  Heal well and quickly.

Archived