Sign in to follow this  
larrytheimp

Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve been wondering what sports networks are going to do with, ya know, no sports. Seems like the early answer is the rock skipping championships and a 5 hour birthday special for Peyton Manning. :ack:

Last night, unless I hallucinated this, ESPN re-broadcast WrestleMania 30.

In Sweden, things are cautiously positive -- Stockholm's health care system expected a surge in cases this weekend which never materialized, and other regions have largely seen only a small to modest increase in confirmed cases (which are basically cases that need hospitalization or among health care workers, the only ones being tested right now). Deaths have reached either 25 or 27 -- a report of two deaths (so far all older people, FWIW) may have been part of the national update or it may be coming in after the national update and no one really knows -- but that means we're 25% or more off the expected doubling rate of deaths every 3 days that some have used as the most dependable metric for whether you're "Bending the curve" or not. And i ngeneral new cases is trending downward. Whether this is a statistical mirage or evidence that Sweden's measured approach (plus its geographic distribution, i.e. fairly low density outside of larger cities) is working, we don't know yet. Fingers crossed.

They do have a measure for what they believe the peak will be, and believe that Stockholm will need 250 ICU beds at the time. They're still converting the exhibition hall to help with that, and we have a field hospital that the Swedish military has set up somewhere or other.

Personally, life does not feel very different for us. Toilet paper supplies are starting to become more prevalent at stores, there was a brief run on yeast but that seems to have abated, and so on. With any luck, the worst will be behind us in the next few weeks.

Posted (edited)

I'm getting really worried about New Orleans.   New Orleans percentage of the populace testing positive is at .14%.  Higher than New York City's .12% and equal to King County's percentage of .14%.  

If this thing was around in February than New Orleans had the possibility of a mass community spread from Mardi Gras.

Edited by Frey family reunion

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fucking rock skipping, seriously? How is it judged, total number of skips, distance, aesthetically? I need to know. 

I have no idea, but they were talking about it on the radio. There was also competitive running up slippery stairs. It’s from ESPN’s The Ocho gag stolen from the movie Dodgeball. Pretty funny stuff actually.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

Thank you and bless you for taking care of your mom so diligently.  I hope all goes well for you and dear mom also. 

It’s my grandma I’m looking after, me and my mum don’t really talk or see each other. It’s a worry for all of us with elderly people we care about, I can’t believe some people can be so heartless to only think about the economy, of course it’s important too but people’s lives should always come first no matter what their age.

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The silly. You know things have not too gone well, when Cuba is sending doctors to help Italy deal with the Corona crisis.

What do you mean?? Cuba has stellar doctors and sends them all over the world all the fucking time. A very surprising percentage of doctors in Africa are Cuban. This is what Cuba does.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You know things have not too gone well, when Cuba is sending doctors to help Italy deal with the Corona crisis.

Which they damn well need themselves in Cuba.  If Fidel was still running the country, the country wouldn't have a virus epidemic.  He'd have locked down the airport to Italians at the first news -- it was Italians with it / positive that brought covid 19 to Cuba.

Cuba's got nothing to fight this with though, as trumpista has made it impossible for them to make money, get things, and all the rest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/world/asia/coronavirus-india-socia-distancing.html

We're about to see a repeat of Iran and Qom, this time in Uttar Predesh -- center of Moti's supporters.  The Hindus have scheduled the great opening of their new temple built on the site of a mosque these great supports of Modi destroyed a few years back, on great Hindu religious holiday.

41 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Restricting travel seems like a much better choice. While it'll hurt the airline travel a lot, it's otherwise a fairly contained part of the economy. 

That said, right now Trump is mulling @Free Northman Reborn's plan of just letting everyone get sick so that we don't hurt the economy too much, so that gives you a good idea of how great that plan is.

Yeah, restricting travel would be the logical thing to do if you can eliminate the disease in your country.  However, at this point, I don't see this pandemic being resolved across the world in the next 6 months.  After watching this unfold over the past several weeks, the West clearly doesn't have the will to do what is necessary to implement an effective mitigation strategy like what has been done in Asia.  We also might get waves of infection that last until there is an effective vaccine (which is not guaranteed).  If we can't get control of the disease in the next 3 months, I think there's a chance that we'll just accept it like the flu.

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Desperate times will make some strange bedfellows. I wonder where we’ll be in two months if this persists, which it probably will.

11 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm getting really worried about New Orleans.   New Orleans percentage of the populace testing positive is at .14%.  Higher than New York City's .12% and equal to King County's percentage of .14%.  

If this thing was around in February than New Orleans had the possibility of a mass community spread from Mardi Gras.

They would already be presenting though? 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They would already be presenting though? 

From what I gather some people (especially the young) present only mild symptoms which wouldn't cause any early sense of alarm.  And we haven't had testing until recently.  So a lot of doctors may have just shrugged it off if these cases started presenting in late February.  My wife got pretty sick late February, the doctor tested her for flu and the strep both negative.  She was never tested back then for this, so who knows?

The problem is, the earlier this thing gets rooted in and spread even among those who aren't at high risk for developing serious complications, then the exponential spread starts.  And by the time we got testing available, our initial tests started coming back positive at alarmingly high percentages.

Edited by Frey family reunion

30 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

i know people who had symptoms consistent with the disease in late january; we likely had lots of exposure before mardi gras.

12 minutes ago, sologdin said:

i know people who had symptoms consistent with the disease in late january; we likely had lots of exposure before mardi gras.

Was Mardi Gras well attended this year?  If so, yeah, it's going to be bad in New Orleans.  I assume that there's normally also a lot of visitors, but no idea if it was the case this year.  I'm pretty sure Trump was still claiming that everything was under control around the end of February, so I don't think a lot of people were taking it seriously.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

What do you mean?? Cuba has stellar doctors and sends them all over the world all the fucking time. A very surprising percentage of doctors in Africa are Cuban. This is what Cuba does.

I am firmly aware of that (I was aware of that even before Sicko). However, a G8 country and EU member having to rely on Cuba sending over Doctors, is not really a sign of things having gone too well, wouldn't you agree? And Italy actually is a G7 country.

Besides, Cuba will probably need all their MDs before too long themselves.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

Was Mardi Gras well attended this year?  If so, yeah, it's going to be bad in New Orleans.  I assume that there's normally also a lot of visitors, but no idea if it was the case this year.  I'm pretty sure Trump was still claiming that everything was under control around the end of February, so I don't think a lot of people were taking it seriously.

MG was as well attended as ever AFAIK. On a sample size of 1: I was there this year and haven't gotten sick in the nearly four weeks since :P. 

Man, this virus has now got me wondering if the hospital is watering down the soap, because something seems different about it today and it has an odd smell. Maybe it’s just a different brand or something, but it feels like when you get the last bit of shampoo out of the bottle by sticking in under the water.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I saw that too!  I was like WTF?

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I saw that too!  I was like WTF?

They have been doing that with all kinds of events. I think CBS showed a bunch of classic NCAA basket ball games yesterday. Something to fill the time

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jen'ari said:

It’s my grandma I’m looking after, me and my mum don’t really talk or see each other. It’s a worry for all of us with elderly people we care about, I can’t believe some people can be so heartless to only think about the economy, of course it’s important too but people’s lives should always come first no matter what their age.

Oh, your Nanna.  We must take responsibility for the elderly as well as ourselves.  That is the most we can do right now.  Thank goodness, your grandmother has you to help her.  Not everyone is so lucky.   It breaks my heart to see photos in the news showing elderly people standing in front of empty store shelves.  It's a tragedy.

Of course with so many people being out of work; the economy is big concern.  People will not be able to fend for themselves without government aid.     I'm sorry about your mum.  I can only say that now is the time to mend broken relationships, if at all possible.

Edited by LynnS

So today in Minnesota we have

-Sen Klobuchar’s husband is hospitalized with COVID-19

-lt Governor Flanagan’s brother dead of COVID-19

-Governor Walz’s bodyguard tested positive, Walz himself going into self quarantine.

what we don’t have (yet?)- closure of nonessential businesses, shelter in place order

I have CONCERNS