Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Larry of the Lawn

My brother was telling me that he was watching a news report out of Los Angeles about Costco changing it’s policy on returns.

One thing people love about Costco is their excellent return policy. They have announced (in the LA area anyway) that they will not accept returns of toilet paper, paper towels, sacks of rice, Lysol and sanitizing wipes, items that have been frantically purchased in the last few weeks. Oh, and water.

I don’t know if those people will have had the last laugh if it turns out that we all end up quarantined for the biblical 40 days, or if charities will end up with two years worth of supplies and run out of storage room in their warehouses.

I think more people in the UK are getting the message, which is good, but it has been disheartening seeing otherwise intelligent people I know insisting on going to the pub for "one last pint" last night and still going around families' houses and so on because "well, we don't have symptoms." You point out that someone can have the virus for a week to two weeks without symptoms and they respond as if you're barking mad.

I think we do have a big problem with people not being educated enough about these things, or being educated about them so long ago that they've forgotten and they're refusing to take on board the information out there now. Also lots of, "I'm avoiding the news, it's too depressing" which I get, but it's also cutting off potentially important information (I've switched my standby channel from BBC News 24 to the Bob Ross YouTube channel, and am trying to get back into the old habit of only watching the news at 1pm and 9pm to get the latest updates).

18 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Now I'm having vague, flu/cold-like symptoms, and maybe an elevated temperature. Is it possible that I've been experiencing symptoms for weeks and they're just now worsening? 

I also know for a fact that this individual has not self-reported to anyone at that office about their travel during that time. Do I have a duty to report?

That sounds like it would be an outlier case. Experiencing mild symptoms before the full onset for a day or two is common, but not weeks of mild symptoms. The overwhelming majority of cases manifest symptoms 2-5 days after exposure to the virus, and 14 days is usually considered enough to be clear but not quite (the longest recorded case is 27 days in China, for a family member of someone with the virus IIRC, but there seem to be debates over whether the original test was a false positive and they weren't infected yet).

Italy has a relatively old population and not the strongest Health System

Italy has a pretty reasonable health system, especially the in the north. It's simply been overwhelmed by the sheer numbers showing up.

The age thing is more telling: Italy and Spain have the oldest populations in Europe (followed by Sweden, which is much less densely populated and then France) and are the two worst-affected countries in Europe, with France getting there.

Doesn't everyone get paid per month? I wasnt aware of people getting paid fortnightly. The full detail was still being released and I was just getting off the train.

Plenty of low-paid jobs, gig economy jobs, part time and agency jobs etc pay weekly or fortnightly. There are some jobs where you can request being paid on a different schedule if it helps you out.

Heck, right now I have a tab open to Lando Norris' twitch stream open who apparently lacking a Formula 1 series to drive in, became a Youtuber instead. XD

Lando is a funny guy, even if a lot of his comments are people asking what Carlos is up to :D 

just got back from a trip to Mum's and back - she wants me to have the car so that I can get there in an emergency whilst she's in isolation; just her and the dog.

Made it feel way more like "goodbye" than "see you 3 months" - gave me a copy of her will, made sure I knew where the safe is, and what the code is; "let it slip" that she's got enough tramadol to last 6 months. She's a social animal, pillar of the community type, who's never home of an evening; and she and I both know that having a 6 month supply means she's got 3 months + a lethal dose; and that it will have taken her quite a while to build that supply.

Having a wobble right now.

10 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Yes the more testing is going to mean more cases.  Louisiana’s testing has been pathetically small, early on almost half our cases were coming back positive. Which was creeping me out.   At least now that the testing has ramped up the percentages of those positive are going down somewhat.

The percentage of tests coming back positive is going to be larger in places that have low testing capacity because they prioritize giving the test to people who are already hospitalized with COVID-19-like symptoms. Once there are enough tests to start testing people who just know they've been exposed to a carrier, the % of positives will go down.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I think we do have a big problem with people not being educated enough about these things,

I've been intrigued by the notion that because everyone is somewhat educated in the West, it gives the average person the confidence to say they're just as smart as the highest educated among us. Tom Nichols probably won't have many fans here, but his work The Death of Expertise does raise some interesting questions worth pondering. I'll leave a link to a recent NPR interview.

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2020/03/17/distrust-experts-expertise-coronavirus

Had a pretty bleak conversation with my favorite step-brother yesterday. He works in Hollyweird in the industry, and the mass layoffs are about to kick in over the next six weeks. There are no plans as to when filming will restart. So many great projects are going to die. Lots of people have no clue how they're going to find work in an expensive city to live in. 

Expect a lot of studios and intellectual properties to be bought up and/or merged as a means of survival. 

Peoples reaction to pubs and gyms closing has been annoying here in the UK. People going to the pub for ‘one last pint’ is moronic in the extreme.

I think there is probably an element of people not seeing the virus up close, it hasn’t affected anyone they know, so no way are they gonna let someone spoil their fun!

While I think most people are being sensible, there is definitely an element where people don’t really see how big a problem the virus is. 

Younger people are the worst I think, knowing it doesn’t really affect them so much, plus the fact they probably don’t watch the news or even care that much , makes it much harder to get the message across to them 

I’m going to go and stock up on some things for my gran and drop them to her tomorrow, it will be really sad just leaving the stuff on the doorstep for her but I don’t want to risk going in to see her :(.

11 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

I’m going to go and stock up on some things for my gran and drop them to her tomorrow, it will be really sad just leaving the stuff on the doorstep for her but I don’t want to risk going in to see her :(.

Just have her open the door and talk a bit away from one another.

And you do realize that if you have it, everything you touched in the bag you're giving her has it on its surface for three days, right?

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just have her open the door and talk a bit away from one another.

And you do realize that if you have it, everything you touched in the bag you're giving her has it on its surface for three days, right?

Yeah, I’m going to wear gloves, obviously won’t do much good if anyone else has touched the items,it’s all I can really think of to do, I’m also going to leave the shopping in my car for an hour and turn bioweapon defence mode on as it apparently cleans/removes the car of pollutants,bacteria’s and viruses, I don’t know if  it’s only effective for the air coming into your car or if it scrubs the ambient atmosphere but worth a try!.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Italy has a pretty reasonable health system, especially the in the north. It's simply been overwhelmed by the sheer numbers showing up.

It's reasonable, but not top tier (compared to the Northern countries), with a lot of cuts over the years. And I said in the second paragraph, that the troubling bit is, that Northern Italy had been struggling to deal with it, and if this thing moves into the more rural South, things will get even worse.

23 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

I'll potentially be doing the same soon. At the moment, the cafe where she goes for her main meal daily is still open, and her attitude is that she's old enough that if this virus doesn't get her then something else will soon enough, so fuck it she'll just keep to her regular routine even if it means risking infection. But if the cafes around her close then I'll need to start dropping off microwave meals in the conservatory.

1 minute ago, Liffguard said:

I'll potentially be doing the same soon. At the moment, the cafe where she goes for her main meal daily is still open, and her attitude is that she's old enough that if this virus doesn't get her then something else will soon enough, so fuck it she'll just keep to her regular routine even if it means risking infection. But if the cafes around her close then I'll need to start dropping off microwave meals in the conservatory.

I hope she’s ok :), mine is very active and healthy but worryingly she did suffer with pneumonia nearly 5 years ago now and had to go to hospital.

I’m going to try to get mostly packaged and frozen stuff for her too, she’s quite a good cook (sadly I didn’t inherit those skills) so eating ready meals won’t be her ideal choice but possibly the only sensible one, particularly as she wants to be around to see her great granddaughters grow up.

31 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Yeah, I’m going to wear gloves, obviously won’t do much good if anyone else has touched the items,it’s all I can really think of to do, I’m also going to leave the shopping in my car for an hour and turn bioweapon defence mode on as it apparently cleans/removes the car of pollutants,bacteria’s and viruses, I don’t know if  it’s only effective for the air coming into your car or if it scrubs the ambient atmosphere but worth a try!.

Sadly I don't think gloves matter much with this bastard. And I say that as I just had my chin in hand. 

36 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Tell her to have a pan of hot soapy water by the door, wash the grocery items, throw out the bag outside in the trash can and then scrub her hands. Soap and water kills the virus. She could also take stuff out of packaging, put the contents in storage conrainers and toss the packaging. And wash her hands.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

just got back from a trip to Mum's and back - she wants me to have the car so that I can get there in an emergency whilst she's in isolation; just her and the dog.

Made it feel way more like "goodbye" than "see you 3 months" - gave me a copy of her will, made sure I knew where the safe is, and what the code is; "let it slip" that she's got enough tramadol to last 6 months. She's a social animal, pillar of the community type, who's never home of an evening; and she and I both know that having a 6 month supply means she's got 3 months + a lethal dose; and that it will have taken her quite a while to build that supply.

Having a wobble right now.

Hugs. 

I visited my 80-year old mother (who is 250 miles away) three weeks ago and she also showed me the drawer where her documents are and the names of her solicitors, said she'd send me her computer password. She did say she felt hale and healthy, and she has no intention of dying if she can help it (but she has asthma, and had pneumonia a year and a half ago, which took her 6 months to recover from - but it is some consolation they gave her the vaccine for it, though it's not 100% effective or anything).  

She was very matter-of-fact about it, whereas it made me very emo.  But maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe we'll be like that when we're that age, pragmatic, stoical and not afraid to think of death as just another of those things (you know, like death and taxes).

Sophie

Archived