Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Larry of the Lawn

Early this morning the city of Windsor & Essex County, which is directly across the river from Detroit and has a population of just under 300,000, announced it had it's first confirmed case, a man in his 60s who returned last week from a cruise. He's confined at home. He self isolated immediately upon return, as was suggested at the airport on his return. They've tested about 350 people, iirc. 

I suspect they are very happy the border is basically closed now. Detroit has 521 cases. A lot of medical personnel, doctors and nurses, work in Michigan, as well as people in the auto industry and other professions. I'm sure they are all pretty nervous.

Just read the latest news about the field hospital they are constructing inside a Berlin exhibition hall. At first I thought this is just some kind of a publicity stunt for the city, trying to pull off the mindboggling shit China did in Wuhan, while at the same time thinking that in the city of BER it will be finished the day Covid-19 has been eradicated. But... I must admit, I am impressed that they apparently have finished the planning phase and start with the construction on Tuesday, expecting it to be finished in three weeks. I will dip my hat if they pull it off.

Of course on the other hand so far they only got around 50 volunteers to staff it, so... eh...

I'm dreading Italy's figure for today. Spain just had 300. Unfortunately by the time the figures get high enough for idiots over here to begin to realise it's more than 'just a flu' it will be too late to change their behavior. 

15 minutes ago, Toth said:

Just read the latest news about the field hospital they are constructing inside a Berlin exhibition hall. At first I thought this is just some kind of a publicity stunt for the city, trying to pull off the mindboggling shit China did in Wuhan, while at the same time thinking that in the city of BER it will be finished the day Covid-19 has been eradicated. But... I must admit, I am impressed that they apparently have finished the planning phase and start with the construction on Tuesday, expecting it to be finished in three weeks. I will dip my hat if they pull it off.

Of course on the other hand so far they only got around 50 volunteers to staff it, so... eh...

A lot of that going around. Stockholm is fairly badly hit and they're rushing to prepare an intensive care ward in our largest exhibition hall, Stockholmsmässan, which is the largest in the Nordic countries. Our own region is the second worst hit right now, but nothing like Stockholm. Even so, our leading university hospital wants more ICU beds because they are presently predicting that the epidemic in Sweden will peak around April 1st and they currently don't have enough to meet that.

The bit that makes me hopeful is that if they think the peak in Sweden, or at least Västra Götaland (our region), is around April 1st based on all the data they have... that's not as bad as some feared. 

I expect that Canada will see another jump up, since apparently Sunwing, a tour package operator, brought back 44,000 Canadians from various parts of the world in the past week. And the people wintering in the southern states are making their way home as well, and that could be 300,000 people, as I have previously mentioned.

A CNN reporter in Madrid says 9 hotels are being used to house patients because there are no hospital rooms. Spain has not ordered any company to manufacture supplies because, they say, the market is responding with supplies.

Probably an easy prediction to make: Generation Z's last birth year has been arbitrarily named as 2010 or so, with Gen Alpha after that. I think Gen Z's time will be extended to 2019, and the post-Pandemic generation will begin this year.  This (naming generations) is one of those cultural things no one cares about but we'll keep on doing it because we're cultural zombies.

2 hours ago, Sophelia said:

Hugs. 

I visited my 80-year old mother (who is 250 miles away) three weeks ago and she also showed me the drawer where her documents are and the names of her solicitors, said she'd send me her computer password. She did say she felt hale and healthy, and she has no intention of dying if she can help it (but she has asthma, and had pneumonia a year and a half ago, which took her 6 months to recover from - but it is some consolation they gave her the vaccine for it, though it's not 100% effective or anything).  

She was very matter-of-fact about it, whereas it made me very emo.  But maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe we'll be like that when we're that age, pragmatic, stoical and not afraid to think of death as just another of those things (you know, like death and taxes).

Sophie

Mum's  healthy enough - but with some mild comorbidities (borderline diabetic, underweight, and arthritic), but more important, has a history of (very) dodgy mental health, which she relies on being around friends to maintain.

I doubt she has the resolve to do 12 weeks solitary. Damn sure she can't go longer now she's psyched herself up for that. I genuinely don't know if she'd use the pills, or just break quarantine and take the risks, most likely, break quarantine, and use the tablets if she gets ill.

I advised her to self-isolate with other single, older friends, but it fell on deaf ears. I'm sure she intends to see this out, but she obviously has her back-up plan. I'm also sure she wanted me to have the car so that I could collect the dog, and potentially start doing executor stuff.

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Mum's  healthy enough - but with some mild comorbidities (borderline diabetic, underweight, and arthritic), but more important, has a history of (very) dodgy mental health, which she relies on being around friends to maintain.

I doubt she has the resolve to do 12 weeks solitary. Damn sure she can't go longer now she's psyched herself up for that. I genuinely don't know if she'd use the pills, or just break quarantine and take the risks, most likely, break quarantine, and use the tablets if she gets ill.

I advised her to self-isolate with other single, older friends, but it fell on deaf ears. I'm sure she intends to see this out, but she obviously has her back-up plan. I'm also sure she wanted me to have the car so that I could collect the dog, and potentially start doing executor stuff.

Aww - sounds like a different situation with the mental health issues - can you get her using Skype and stuff?  Your idea of finding another single older friend or two to isolate with sounds a good one, maybe she could be persuaded after a bit of time has passed.

I've just read that it's 793 people in Italy, in a day. :frown5: Frigging day. 

It's good that some people can afford to self-isolate. I live with my mother in one apartment (Yes, I know how that sounds in US and most of Western Europe :lol:) with one bathroom, which is typical for my country. I go to work (at least I don't have to use public transport), so if I get sick, she gets sick. and she has heart condition and type B diabetes. She wouldn't stay indoors in any case, nor do I think it's healthy not to do exercising in her age, it might be death sentence in itself. Wish I could convince her to just walk around without going to buy groceries, but I don't think it's humanly possible. 

2 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

Aww - sounds like a different situation with the mental health issues - can you get her using Skype and stuff?  Your idea of finding another single older friend or two to isolate with sounds a good one, maybe she could be persuaded after a bit of time has passed.

We've tried her on Skype before - but she can barely cope with email.

Implan tomoeep working on her in terms of the isolating with friends - fortunately, she and 2 others all have gardens that back onto the same field

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been intrigued by the notion that because everyone is somewhat educated in the West, it gives the average person the confidence to say they're just as smart as the highest educated among us.

I don't think the organized and concerted campaign against expertise from the right has much at all to do with aggregate education levels.  In fact I'd a bit that if you polled Americans' respect for expertise, the relationship would likely be fairly linear and positive based on increasing education levels.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think the organized and concerted campaign against expertise from the right has much at all to do with aggregate education levels.  In fact I'd a bit that if you polled Americans' respect for expertise, the relationship would likely be fairly linear and positive based on increasing education levels.

Hell, my own parents (both Trump supporters to my everlasting shame) buy into the dismissal of expert opinions.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hell, my own parents (both Trump supporters to my everlasting shame) buy into the dismissal of expert opinions.

Yeah, I think the degrading in respect for expertise aligns with the degrading trust in government - and many other institutions - for a reason.  As in the latter is the key explanatory variable for the former, not education levels.

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

It would, but I don't think that's the point. Look at the number of HS graduates today compared to 50 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It would, but I don't think that's the point. Look at the number of HS graduates today compared to 50 years ago. 

Just because more and more people are completing high school - as well as getting college educations - since, like, the 40s doesn't mean it has anything to do with the degrading respect for expertise.  That latter trend began significantly after the former trend.  I'd say the degrading respect for expertise started around mid-70s - right around the time trust in government tanked after Vietnam and Watergate.

4 hours ago, Liffguard said:

so fuck it she'll just keep to her regular routine even if it means risking infection

She hasn't gotten the message that this is about others, not her.  Just because she feels fine doesn't mean she's not spreading the infection.  People just don't seem to understand this.  Or don't want to. Or don't care.  It's hard to tell sometimes.

I brought some items back for the helpless person across the hall from me.  She doesn't have a clue as to how to shop, plan, cook -- anything. But her life force and determination to survive beat everybody's I know.  She's gay and elderly and alone on total disability; suffers severe mental illness for over 20 years; she's gone through 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy -- by herself.  Breast cancer and two mastectomies. Two hip replacements.  She washes her hands constantly.  Among what I brought her was a container of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, which is the best thing for hands chapped and sore from constantly washing, disinfecting and cleaning.  I know this because mine are the same and I had some here which worked very well. Others may find this useful too, at least those who live in multi-residence buildings with public stairs (or elevators), laundry, mail boxes, many doors to open and close, and so on.  We never stop washing our hands.

It's weird being inside most of the day and still washing all the time.  I stopped going out over two weeks ago, but P was out on the 6th.  Well, I was buying groceries and supplies, doing laundry -- but I've not seen anyone f2f since the 5th, I think, except the person with whom I live, and our quarters are very cramped.  We look at each other with the knowledge of "In sickness and in health."

O yeah, FEMA declares us a Disaster.

Archived