What is the healthiest relationship in ASOIAF?

Alyn Oakenfist

7 hours ago, Peach King said:

Ned could in fact shut Catelyn down whenever he wants and order her to do his will, which he did, when he told Catelyn to never speak of Jon Snow's origins to him, scaring her to such an extent she never brought it up again.

Yea that looks kinda healthy to me, in corona season!

When Ned went south they both knew Cats gonna go wild out more then Cinderellas stepma on young Snow. Their reasoning was sending a kid to jail is a kindness compared to living with his brothers. Healthy.

Plus that shit with Brandon Stark is type strange 

I like Yandry and Ysilla, his eye sometimes wanders, but fuck it.

Robb and Jeyen were nice, lots of drama outside the bliss though. Like Tyrion and Tysha. 

Red Viper and his girfriend seemed happy enough

10 hours ago, Peach King said:

Re: Gilly and Sam I mean that Gilly was so desperate to leave her abusive father that she is completely dependent upon Sam for protection and guidance.

Sam also had abusive daddy issues, and was very dependent on Gilly for affirmation and self-esteem, so is was more mutual than most other relationships we see.

That said, it's hard to say any relationship can be healthy when society at large is so messed up.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:34 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So given how messed up most sexual relationships are in the story having a lot of incest, dubious consent as well as pedophilia, my question is what do you think is the healthiest relationship in the story?

I would dispute there's any paedophilia in the story (barring post-combat atrocities) - technically that involves pre-pubescents. By our 21st century lights you could make the case for ephebophilia, but in-world puberty is regarded as majority in terms of marriage, but you are absolutely right that there is no worthwhile concept of consent in operation. But that's pretty much a given in a dynastically-driven social structure.

20 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

but in-world puberty is regarded as majority in terms of marriage, but you are absolutely right that there is no worthwhile concept of consent in operation. But that's pretty much a given in a dynastically-driven social structure.

I'm not sure. Sansa was technically a woman, but everybody could see just how messed up the age difference was, especially Tyrion. I'm not saying age should be the absolute in determining what is pedophilia, more maturity. Sansa may have been sexually (or biologically? not sure on the terms here) a woman, but mentally and emotionally she was still a child.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:04 PM, James Steller said:

Very good points about Westerosi marriage, but Aegon and his sisters don’t count under the original poster’s rules. Incest rules them out, no matter how compatible they are. And if it did count, Jaehaerys and Alysanne would have had the best relationship. They’re dragon riders, and they stood on equal footing. Jaehaerys was never unfaithful to her either, even when they were separated. I know technically he still had the marriage upper hand, as you say, but they still had a very healthy relationship and were able to argue and reconcile as equals because of their personalities. 

Jaeharys was a complete bastard to Alysanne more than once and they ended patching things up because why not, they were at the end of their lives anyway. In that sense Aegon and her sisters are completely  balanced, especially Visenya who could also fight.

5 hours ago, frenin said:

Jaeharys was a complete bastard to Alysanne more than once and they ended patching things up because why not, they were at the end of their lives anyway. In that sense Aegon and her sisters are completely  balanced, especially Visenya who could also fight.

Visenya and Aegon had a lot of unresolved issues, just look at how Visenya viewed her nephew and what she did to undermine her nephew’s family in favour of her own son. If she had really loved Aegon and Rhaenys, she would have supported her family and respected Aegon’s wishes. Instead, she put Maegor the Cruel on the Iron Throne and nearly destroyed her family through his actions as king.

5 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Visenya and Aegon had a lot of unresolved issues, just look at how Visenya viewed her nephew and what she did to undermine her nephew’s family in favour of her own son. If she had really loved Aegon and Rhaenys, she would have supported her family and respected Aegon’s wishes. Instead, she put Maegor the Cruel on the Iron Throne and nearly destroyed her family through his actions as king.

That tells us nothing about her relationship with Aegon. She put his kid first because she wanted her kid to be King, nothing else nothing more. Jaeharys loved Aemon but when he died he had no problems making Baelon the heir instead of Rhaenys. 

Aegon and Visenya grew to dislike each  other but for the most part they were on equal footing.

The healthiest relationship in the series was Naerys and Aemon the Dragonknight. Which is the real reason they couldn't marry. Because if they were married, they would have been happy and had lots of children, who'd also be happy. And we can't have that. Fight me on this.

• 10 months later...
On 4/4/2020 at 6:26 AM, Eternally_His said:

The healthiest relationship in the series was Naerys and Aemon the Dragonknight. Which is the real reason they couldn't marry. Because if they were married, they would have been happy and had lots of children, who'd also be happy. And we can't have that. Fight me on this.

Well, it apparently never crossed Viserys' mind to have them marry instead of Naerys and Aegon.

1 minute ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Their relationship seems to be the closest to perfect to me. Ser Garlan is either the century's actor or a hippie knight.

Mate, we're talking about Garlan Tyrell here, right? Brother to Loras and Marg, husband to Leonette Fossoway, right?

What the hell does he have anything to do with a Florent?

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Mate, we're talking about Garlan Tyrell here, right? Brother to Loras and Marg, husband to Leonette Fossoway, right?

What the hell does he have anything to do with a Florent?

Oh my, I fucked up so hard.B):o

Archived