NFL 2020: Please Don't Be Fetch

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Copying @Kalbear's comment from the previous thread:

Here's my hot take: Brady is going to be entirely trash. 

His gift was that he was incredibly good at executing intelligent, interesting schemes that were tailored to his personnel and his talents. Tampa doesn't have anyone super amazing on offense to craft things, so he's going to do what they suggest and find out a lot of his limitations. 

You don't think that much of Bruce Arians as an offensive mastermind? I do think it's a little funny that Brady's OC is going to be Byron Leftwich, whose career as a quarterback basically took place between Brady's third and fourth Super Bowl victories.

Tom Brady does a number of things well, but his greatest strength is how quickly he gets rid of the bal (measured from the time the ball is snapped until the time the ball leaves his hand).  He's able to do that because of a number of other things he does well.

I've read entire articles about Brady's release time, and the numbers are absolutely stunning.  As a side benefit, it allows him to greatly minimize sacks and hits he takes, which is what has allowed him to stretch out his career the way he has.  It's also what makes Brady the best NFL QB of all time, and the same thing is what made Dan Marino the best NFL QB to never win a championship (Marino was far better than nearly every other QB who ever won a championship.  In fact, if I could choose any QB from NFL history for my team, Brady would be #1, and Marino would probably be #2.)

When a QB gets rid of the ball so quickly and commits so few turnovers, it takes enormous pressure off of everyone else around him. 

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Copying @Kalbear's comment from the previous thread:

You don't think that much of Bruce Arians as an offensive mastermind? I do think it's a little funny that Brady's OC is going to be Byron Leftwich, whose career as a quarterback basically took place between Brady's third and fourth Super Bowl victories.

I dont think of anyone on the same level as belichick. And I think it will be very apparent. 

Now the good news is that brady will likely learn whatever the scheme is fast and well. NE has done amazing different things along the years from season to season. He will adapt well. But it will be a scheme built around offensive principles and ideals, and not around Brady and the talent they have.

8 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You don't think that much of Bruce Arians as an offensive mastermind?

I hope Brady enjoys the typical Arians 17-step drop.  It is a source of constant amazement that Big Ben withstood his reign as the Steelers' OC without suffering death or dismemberment.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Triskele said:

Another fun little irony in all of that is that Leftwich had one of the longest windup releases ever.  At some point I swear that Brady will have to stop him mid-instruction and say something like "I don't have to do it that way.  I can get rid of the ball."

Hey, Brady just found someone he can beat in a foot race!

In a bit of sadder news, stud lineman Travis Frederick has retired due to his battle with an autoimmune disease. Big loss for the Cowboys. Hopefully he can live a long and healthy life. I can't imagine being a pro-athlete and having your strength and coordination stolen from you. 

Couple days late on this but Manny Sanders to the Saints makes sense for both. Sanders has been fortunate in the teams he winds up on. Will have a chance to grab another ring. For the Saints, the gap between Thomas and the next receiver (technically a TE) in catches is a difference of 106 :o. Kamara had 81 as an RB so obviously that helps, but a Robin to MT's Batman was necessary. 

I think that division will again have the Saints as the alphas and the other 3 fighting for a wildcard spot. Fortunate for them there'll be the 7th seed starting next year.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey, Brady just found someone he can beat in a foot race!

In a bit of sadder news, stud lineman Travis Frederick has retired due to his battle with an autoimmune disease. Big loss for the Cowboys. Hopefully he can live a long and healthy life. I can't imagine being a pro-athlete and having your strength and coordination stolen from you. 

Yeah i read this yesterday and read his goodbye letter and feel for the guy but know he is making the decision from a good place.

At least he made this decision well before the draft so the team can react and make plans and adjustments.

I wonder if any of the sports are going to organize a fundraiser similar to what NASCAR did? NASCAR used simulators and held an iRace with real drivers at the controls last weekend.

So, what  if Dallas played Philly in Madden and each team had a couple real players at the helm, no ringers only real NFL players. Stream it on twitch(?) if thats still a thing. Could generate a welcome distraction for people.  Losing team donates $$ to winning teams local hospital / Covid charity. Get some sponsors and even the team owners involved. 

Could do it across most sports and still practice social distancing. IDK anything to break the monotony that is coming soon.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I wonder if any of the sports are going to organize a fundraiser similar to what NASCAR did? NASCAR used simulators and held an iRace with real drivers at the controls last weekend.

So, what  if Dallas played Philly in Madden and each team had a couple real players at the helm, no ringers only real NFL players. Stream it on twitch(?) if thats still a thing. Could generate a welcome distraction for people.  Losing team donates $$ to winning teams local hospital / Covid charity. Get some sponsors and even the team owners involved. 

Could do it across most sports and still practice social distancing. IDK anything to break the monotony that is coming soon.

Esports should be capitalizing on the moment.  People are desperate for content and will sink pretty low to get it. It's like me listening to Will Cain's show and rationalizing that it's still better than listen to most of my coworkers speak. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-will-soon-be-moving-to-a-17-game-regular-season-schedule-and-heres-how-the-league-should-make-it-work/

This is almost exactly the solution to 17 games that I came up with the other day just noodling around.  Basically, play one more game interconference against the team that finished in the same place in the conference standings.  I like the idea that in alternating years each conference gets the home games so that schedules within a division have the same number of home games.

I went two steps further with the idea though.  We don't really need or want more international games, but each of these games could be neutral site.  Put a game at the Rose Bowl, or the Big House or where ever, with non local teams.

And up the stakes.  Make winning or losing the crossover game the first tie breaker for playoff seeding.  I think that's just right amount of bonkers.  Maybe not totally fair, but would have to be good for ratings.

Is anyone in touch with Manhole outside of the board? If we petition the mods to let him back, would he want to come back?

I realize it's not an NFL post but I figured people who read this thread might be most likely to still be in contact with him.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Is anyone in touch with Manhole outside of the board? If we petition the mods to let him back, would he want to come back?

I realize it's not an NFL post but I figured people who read this thread might be most likely to still be in contact with him.

I tried, and failed about a year and a half ago. But I may have asked the wrong mod.

@Ran

I read yesterday or today that Tua failed a part of his physical and it's rumored that while Miami was going to possibly trade up to secure him, that they may just let the cards fall where they may and might have a few draft options available w/out needing to do anything.

7 hours ago, mcbigski said:

As I ve said.  If Miami wants a quarterback, take Hebert or tua at 5.  If not, and someone take one of them before them, trade back since LAC is probably looking qb too.

Bobby Hebert was truly an underrated gem, but I think he’s getting long in the tooth.  But hey, if Brady and Brees can keep going... :dunno: 

Archived