What are your favorite POV's?

Alyn Oakenfist

So a while back I started a thread about which POV's were the worst to get through, so now to be more positive I wanted to know, which are you favorite POV's in all the books? Mine would be:

• Tyrion in ACOK and ASOS. Probably the best POV's in all the books, entertaining, meaningful and with a great character.
  • Theon/Reek in ADWD. Seeing just how a completely broken man thinks and how he manages to mentally escape Ramsay is one of the best parts of all the book.
  • Jon in ADWD. Jon is a really interesting character in ADWD, seeing how he deals with leadership as well as seeing all the wacky shit that happens at the Wall, makes these chapters really great
  • Cersei in AFFC and ADWD. Seeing her bumbling from one idiocy to the next is just great, plus the way her mind works in really great.
  • Sansa/Alayne in AFFC and ADWD. Kinda low key chapters but I really like seeing her intellect and savvy develop under Littlefinger.
  • Jaime in all his chapters. Besides being a really great character he is also probably the funniest one.

My favorite POVs throughout the books are Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister. Largely for the same reasons you wrote in the OP.

I like all of both of their POVs, but more specifically early Tyrion (before, during, and after he becomes Hand), while he in King's Landing, and Jon after he returns to the wall after escaping the Wildlings. I especially enjoyed his struggle as Lord Commander, where he tried balance keeping his vows, while also doing what he believed was the right/best thing to do. And the internal struggle he had of what life could have been like for him vs. resigning himself to a life-sentence at the wall, "condemned" to die there.

I also enjoyed Arya's chapters, specifically her time travelling with the Hound. I really wish we would have gotten at least one chapter from his POV.

Favorite is probably Theons adwd, quickly followed by Tyrions adwd. OP described why Theons such an amazing arc, plus also, Ramsay. Tyrion too goes through an extravagant arc while remaining dark and interesting .

After that is again Theon and Tyrion acok (Bran acok as well) Once again, Ramsay. Also watching the rise and fall of the Prince and Hand was an epic journey.

Next comes pretty much like half of asos. Dany, Jon, Sam and Jaime. On the same level would be affc's Sansa, Cersei and all Ironborn (Specifically Victarion). Also acok, asos, affc and adwd Arya. 

3 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Tyrion too goes through an extravagant arc while remaining dark and interesting

I dunno, Tyrion in ADWD is the most mixed bag of emotions for me. For one his constant ,,where do whores go" mopey-ness is just so bland, that it makes me want to claw my own eyes. Then again the actions he goes through are really great and he does have a fulfilling ark. The voyage on the Shy maiden for example is one of my favorite parts of the book. All in all really great potential, good execution in themes and action, just fairly bad and tedious writing.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I dunno, Tyrion in ADWD is the most mixed bag of emotions for me. For one his constant ,,where do whores go" mopey-ness is just so bland, that it makes me want to claw my own eyes. Then again the actions he goes through are really great and he does have a fulfilling ark. The voyage on the Shy maiden for example is one of my favorite parts of the book. All in all really great potential, good execution in themes and action, just fairly bad and tedious writing.

Where do whores go bothers you but you like Theons adwd?

Reek Reek, it rhymes with weak.

Idk, I think things that rhyme are almost always humorous, so while reading about the flayed once-a-man eating rats, well, humor shouldn't be part of that mix. So I shrug it off, after all, Theons fucking nuts.

But what of the Imp, how nuts is he?

The where do whores go appears alot, often around the sound of a crowsbow going off. I like our little friends descent into madness, and the final insult of his murdered father or the whereabouts of his violated wife is the best ticket there.

I like the writing. Its a little cringe worthy, but I think its supposed to be. Illyrio Haldon and Jorah are supposed to be uncomfortable when taking to the Imp, as we are when reading

3 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Reek Reek, it rhymes with weak

Yeah but in Theon's case it serves to show a key aspect of Ramsay's torture, his identity, with the whole remember your name part.

4 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

The where do whores go appears alot, often around the sound of a crowsbow going off. I like our little friends descent into madness, and the final insult of his murdered father or the whereabouts of his violated wife is the best ticket there.

I'm not sure about madness. Tyrion should be descending into nihilism, depression and PTSD not madness. His mind is still intact.

5 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I like the writing. Its a little cringe worthy, but I think its supposed to be. Illyrio Haldon and Jorah are supposed to be uncomfortable when taking to the Imp, as we are when reading

I could be intentional, but it's still pretty cringe, especially with Penny.

12 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So a while back I started a thread about which POV's were the worst to get through, so now to be more positive I wanted to know, which are you favorite POV's in all the books? Mine would be:

• Tyrion in ACOK and ASOS. Probably the best POV's in all the books, entertaining, meaningful and with a great character.
  • Theon/Reek in ADWD. Seeing just how a completely broken man thinks and how he manages to mentally escape Ramsay is one of the best parts of all the book.
  • Jon in ADWD. Jon is a really interesting character in ADWD, seeing how he deals with leadership as well as seeing all the wacky shit that happens at the Wall, makes these chapters really great
  • Cersei in AFFC and ADWD. Seeing her bumbling from one idiocy to the next is just great, plus the way her mind works in really great.
  • Sansa/Alayne in AFFC and ADWD. Kinda low key chapters but I really like seeing her intellect and savvy develop under Littlefinger.
  • Jaime in all his chapters. Besides being a really great character he is also probably the funniest one.

• AGOT - Daenerys Targaryen (Wedding and Dragon Hatching)
  • ACOK - Daenerys Targaryen (House of the Undying)
  • ASOS - Daenerys Targaryen (Astapor, Meereen), 
  • AFFC - That book was hard to get through TBH.
  • ADWD Daenerys Targaryen (Riding Drogon), Tyrion Lannister (Trip down the river), Ser Barristan (Arresting Hizdahr)

5 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:
  • AGOT - Daenerys Targaryen (Wedding and Dragon Hatching)
  • ACOK - Daenerys Targaryen (House of the Undying)
  • ASOS - Daenerys Targaryen (Astapor, Meereen), 
  • AFFC - That book was hard to get through TBH.
  • ADWD Daenerys Targaryen (Riding Drogon)

I'm starting to see a trend here, can't point it out for sure though....

Tyrion Lannister (Trip down the river), Ser Barristan (Arresting Hizdahr)

Yeah those were probably some of the best parts of ADWD.

ADWD Daenerys Targaryen (Riding Drogon)

Yes but you also have ,,their arousal was arousing".

Sometimes you like someone's chapters much, but in a rereading you don't like it, because you are not interested in them at that moment, I love Arya's chapters, but I've stopped my rereading for weeks in a chapter of her in ASOS, whenever I thought of reading, I remembered that I had stopped at her chapter and gave up. Also, if a character is your favorite, even reading the boring chapters where nothing serious is happening will not be so unpleasant.

I primarily like all of the Stark POVs but my favorite is Sansa. I love how her childish naivete transformed to mature resilience. She proves you can be brave, defiant, outspoken and inspiring by being kind and gentle. So she's my favorite from AGOT to AFFC and in ADWD it's Jon. 

It's impossible for me to choose. If I tried to respond to this as the OP has requested, there'd be so many if's and else's it'd resemble a piece of Javascript!

If I had to just pick and be damned, I'd say Arya. Every phase of her story fascinates me. It isn't that she's my favourite character (Jon). I just feel like her story is the best one. The relationship with the sister, her time in KL, the loss of her father, her time spent as a 'boy', time with the BWB, she got close to the hound, sails to Bravoss, wargs overseas, becomes no one (or tries to), completely and utterly pwns the kindly man. I tell people who can't take on the books to just read her chapters or at least listen her chapters by Dotrice. She's a great story all by herself. And I think that her aims are the most clear-cut. Just IMO. I know what she wants (or I think I do) and that helps me settle into her chapters more.

I really enjoy Jaime but I'm not sure what he really wants. He thinks to himself that the remainder of his page in the white book could be filled with whatever he chose. But I don't know what that is. I just enjoy the way he puts certain people in their place. And I like that he's trying to honour his promise to cat.

It's tricky with characters like Asha. I like where Asha's eye's have gone but she's not up there with Arya and Jaime and Jon. 

And Tyrion always cracks me up. Even his darker chapters. He has perfected the art of being a complete POS without actually becoming evil. 

So, Jon, Arya, Jaime, Tyrion. But wait, there's Bran! He's going to see and do so much cool shit. And Davos, I really like him. Seven save us. This topic is evil.  

1 hour ago, Elegant Woes said:

I primarily like all of the Stark POVs but my favorite is Sansa. I love how her childish naivete transformed to mature resilience. She proves you can be brave, defiant, outspoken and inspiring by being kind and gentle. So she's my favorite from AGOT to AFFC and in ADWD it's Jon. 

same.

wasn't a big fan of Jon's pov/needed a lot of time to get into his character, but in ADWD he became my favorite pov and I gained a whole lot appreciation and respect for him as a person and character. IMO he is an excellent leader and I admire him for being willing to do all the hard work and always trying to do the right thing - no matter how difficult it gets.

But I also love Brienne, Sam, Bran, Davos, Arya and Asha but my favorite is by far Sansa in all the books.

Jaime and Cersei are amusing and Tyrion a roller coaster of emotions- enjoy their pov as well, but don't like them as much as the povs/charcters above.

Archived