What are your favorite POV's?

Alyn Oakenfist

Jon in all books (my favourite character). Dany's, except ADWD, she's too stupid in there. Tyrion's, also except ADWD, he's too pessimistic in there, and drinks too much. Arya in ACOK. JonCon and Barristan, because they personally knew Rhaegar and Aerys, and were part of Targaryen court, should have been more of them in the books, to give readers more information about the past of Dany's family.

In the next book for me the most interesting are going to be Jon's POV; Dany among Dothraki; Sam in the Citadel, with a Faceless Man and Sarella Sand lurking nearby; and Bran, his escape from the Children.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So a while back I started a thread about which POV's were the worst to get through, so now to be more positive I wanted to know, which are you favorite POV's in all the books? Mine would be:

• Tyrion in ACOK and ASOS. Probably the best POV's in all the books, entertaining, meaningful and with a great character.
  • Theon/Reek in ADWD. Seeing just how a completely broken man thinks and how he manages to mentally escape Ramsay is one of the best parts of all the book.
  • Jon in ADWD. Jon is a really interesting character in ADWD, seeing how he deals with leadership as well as seeing all the wacky shit that happens at the Wall, makes these chapters really great
  • Cersei in AFFC and ADWD. Seeing her bumbling from one idiocy to the next is just great, plus the way her mind works in really great.
  • Sansa/Alayne in AFFC and ADWD. Kinda low key chapters but I really like seeing her intellect and savvy develop under Littlefinger.
  • Jaime in all his chapters. Besides being a really great character he is also probably the funniest one.

I'll give you a list of my favorites. Five of them.

1. Drogo's cremation, the birth of the Dany's dragons, and Dany walking out of the fire. The last chapter in Game of Thrones.  This chapter is the best of all.
  2. Qarth at the Palace of Dust, where most of our juicy prophecies come from. Dany and Drogon defeat the warlocks.
  3. The Unsullied liberation from their masters at Astapor.  I kinda liked Kraznys and his dialogue with Missandei was cute. Dany pulled off an amazing victory over the masters.
  4. Braavos. Samwell, Gilly, Dareon, and Aemon stuck in the city.  Aemon's fever dream of dragons.  Touching scene to me. The stranger waits outside the door. I even liked Gilly in this section.
  5. I'm repeating the others, Daznak's Pit. As perfect as a point of view chapter can be.

For me a POV must be entertaining, not aggrevate me towards the character of the POV, and give me valuable information about the plot. For this reason I exclude Eddard's POV from the list: while entertaining and I love the man, his POV only includes the plot of the first book.

1. Arya Stark
  2. Jon Snow
  3. Bran Stark
  4. Sansa Stark
  5. Jaime Lannister

Honorable mention: Theon's POV in aDwD, Cersei's POV in aFfC (doesn't aggrevate me... she makes me laugh), Barristan Selmy in aDwD, Dany's POV in aGoT and aSoS.

@Nagini's Neville Same goes for me. I mean I had some fondness for him initially by virtue of being a Stark and a child (dunno why but his brattiness in AGOT is so endearing to me) but my interest in him as a character started in his first ASOS chapter. The way he manipulated Mance I was like damn :o and then I read ADWD and I became Jon stan and never looked back. While I adore Sansa for her altruism I love Jon because he's morally grey. I just enjoy how cunning and ruthless he can be. Besides Sansa it's his story I am most excited for in TWOW. I want to see just how dark he will become post resurrection. 

Who are your favorite POV's? 

1.  Daenerys

2.  Tyrion

3.  Barristan

4.  Brienne

5.  Quentyn

6.  Victarion

7.  Samwell

In that order.  Most people don't like the ironborn but Vic is on his way to Slaver's Bay. The meeting between he and Tyrion will be almost as dramatic as his meeting with Jorah.  I started paying attention to Samwell as soon as he left the wall.  Things got interesting for the suitors on their way to pay homage to the Dragon Queen. 

I wish we had points of views from Missandei, Marwyn, and Moqorro.  The 3Ms. 

1. GOT - Daenerys. the eastern plot is an exotic distraction from Westeros
  2. COK - Tyrion. a pure political POV with much humour is nice to read
  3. SOS - Sansa. she gets much information
  4. FFC - Cersei. finally we see what's in her mind.
  5. DWD - Theon. this plot seems like a winter thriller.

Honorable mentions: Catelyn (GOT) , Sansa (COK), Daenerys (SOS), Arianne (FFC), Jaime (FFC), Bran (DWD), Davos (DWD)

5 hours ago, Annalee said:

1.  Daenerys

2.  Tyrion

3.  Barristan

4.  Brienne

5.  Quentyn

6.  Victarion

7.  Samwell

In that order.  Most people don't like the ironborn but Vic is on his way to Slaver's Bay. The meeting between he and Tyrion will be almost as dramatic as his meeting with Jorah.  I started paying attention to Samwell as soon as he left the wall.  Things got interesting for the suitors on their way to pay homage to the Dragon Queen. 

A POV from Marwyn would tip Martin's hand.  How about 4M, Missandei, Marwyn, Martin, Moquorro.  

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego said:

I find them all interesting, especially Theon, the POVs of Dorne, Cersei and Bran in the North. But my favorite is Dany's. Her POVs are FUCKING fascinating. There are a lot of spell, prophecies and dangerous games/conspiracies that in my opinion can be more interesting than the game of thrones in Westeros.

Her story line is the most complete.  My favorite as well.

• Daenerys Targaryen
  • Brienne of Tarth
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Arrianne

Plus 3 more to honor the 7.

Victarion Greyjoy, Eddard Stark, Qwentyn Martell

19 hours ago, Annalee said:

1.  Daenerys

2.  Tyrion

3.  Barristan

4.  Brienne

5.  Quentyn

6.  Victarion

7.  Samwell

Samwell was a bore for most of this time but he got my attention in Oldtown. I never cared for his time in the north and the wall. Those northern chapters were sleep-inducing pages.

Archived