US Politics: Mad Max Beyond Corona Dome

Tywin Manderly

8 minutes ago, davos said:

I would be managing my emotions a lot better through this crisis, if the behavior of our federal government, particularly the president was inducing spasms of rage several times a day.   

I can't even pay that much attention to it or I'll fly into paroxysms of rage. Washington has had a prion disease for decades.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Just one economist's prediction, but still... holy fuck...

I've thought for a while that the estimates from Goldman Sachs and others were too rosy, but I didn't think it'd be this rough either. Unless Congress can pass a much, much larger bill than even $2 trillion, I think we're at the point the pain and suffering from the economic collapse is getting worse than letting the virus run free.  Assuming this prediction holds true.

Never mind the Great Depression, that's a collapse that exceeds the effect of the break-up of the Soviet Union on the Russian economy.

25 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Maybe remind them of Obama's recovery act and how Republicans refused to vote for it no matter what was in it.

ETA:  Fauci just made an interesting point on CNN about this drug cloroquile (SP), the malaria drug that Trump keeps harping on.  He said this quickly, but I think his point was this:  we still do not know if this drug works for COVID, but now lots of people with minimal symptoms might ask their doctor for it.  Because it's already FDA approved it can be widely prescribed if people's doctor's are willing to do it.  But if it does work (still a huge if) then one would ideally want to use it only for those that are most sick, so everyone getting is mass-prescribed could lead to a shortage on that drug where those that need it most cannot bet it.  An unintended consequence.  

The other problem; lots of people with autoimmune disorders take those drugs. Shortages for them could be deadly.

17 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The other problem; lots of people with autoimmune disorders take those drugs. Shortages for them could be deadly.

A board friend went out and got two months of prescription (she has RA) so she doesn't run out.

1 hour ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Never mind the Great Depression, that's a collapse that exceeds the effect of the break-up of the Soviet Union on the Russian economy.

Yep.  Combined with greedy, incompetent leadership, it is a potential civilization ender - though, more likely, it means a real rough patch for the next couple decades as first world civilization is reshaped.  

One does have to wonder if Jace has an appropriate selection of Post Apocalyptic outfits, though....

I am starting to wonder - we have an awful lot of old right wing senators, don't we?  They start keeling over from the Corona Virus, will the rest have the guts to remain in session?  And what of replacing the ones that die?

This whole mess - this whole past year is sounding more and more like the prelude to one of these teenage dystonian novels....

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Except, joy, will probably happen all over the world at the same time.

It's not being widely said yet, either because we're all distracted or because it's deliberately being held because the experts don't want to cause another panic before we know for sure but it's pretty clear this is gonna be a completely unprecedented mauling of the world economy and how it works. I mean I'm not an economist by any measure whatsoever but I don't think you have to be one to put those dots together.

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's not being widely said yet, either because we're all distracted or because it's deliberately being held because the experts don't want to cause another panic before we know for sure but it's pretty clear this is gonna be a completely unprecedented mauling of the world economy and how it works. I mean I'm not an economist by any measure whatsoever but I don't think you have to be one to put those dots together.

This is unprecedented in modern times, but the one thing that holds from the Spanish flu pandemic or WWII is that there was no real long-term impact on tangible, material stuff -- it's not like an industry gets wiped out because transport and factories are physically wrecked or there's a labor shortage going forward because the working age cohorts have been decimated.

It's going to be massively disruptive fiscally, the shockwave will work its way through the system, and, I don't know, 3 years out we're going to be looking at this and seeing very little different from what we saw 6 months ago. Maybe you'll be dining at different restaurants or visiting different bars, maybe the mechanic's shop has changed ownership, etc., but the underlying factors that make a good economy and market are still there.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It actually gets worse the more you dig. The USA and the UK have their own currencies. Their Government can literally print themselves silly, so far as the money supply goes. Budget deficits? Nationalisation of major industries to save them? No worries.

The bigger worry is the Eurozone. Italy was profoundly dysfunctional as it was, and it doesn't have its own currency...

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

This is unprecedented in modern times, but the one thing that holds from the Spanish flu pandemic or WWII is that there was no real long-term impact on tangible, material stuff -- it's not like an industry gets wiped out because transport and factories are physically wrecked or there's a labor shortage going forward because the working age cohorts have been decimated.

There was no destruction of physical assets between 1929 and 1932 either.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's going to be massively disruptive fiscally, the shockwave will work its way through the system, and, I don't know, 3 years out we're going to be looking at this and seeing very little different from what we saw 6 months ago. Maybe you'll be dining at different restaurants or visiting different bars, maybe the mechanic's shop has changed ownership, etc.,

Yeah, pretty much agree. Besides central banks, etc have practically unlimited capability to inject liquidity to the markets. There are also other economic instruments including nationalization. 

However if this drags on, we will start to see disruption in the supply lines. When or how severe it's hard to say.

I wonder what the financial sharks are doing amid too many sinking boats.

Just now, The Marquis de Leech said:

There was no destruction of physical assets between 1929 and 1932 either.

33% of banks disappeared. Money was a physical asset at that time because it was pegged to gold. The biggest economies were still on the gold standard and didn't have means to increase money supply to weather the storm. The banking system and fiscal economy is very different. 

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

33% of banks disappeared. Money was a physical asset at that time because it was pegged to gold. The biggest economies were still on the gold standard and didn't have means to increase money supply to weather the storm. The banking system and fiscal economy is very different. 

My point was that the "real" economy (human labour, the land, the factories) was still very much intact, not that it did much good.

We also have a modern variant of the gold standard, in the form of the Euro.

23 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

My point was that the "real" economy (human labour, the land, the factories) was still very much intact, not that it did much good.

Because there was no money. That's not an issue this time. The Spanish Flu shows you what happens when neither the monetary system nor the physical inputs into the economy are wrecked by a global disaster.

We also have a modern variant of the gold standard, in the form of the Euro.

I think those arguments are overstated

Archived