US Politics: Mad Max Beyond Corona Dome

Tywin Manderly

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

They're letting McConnell talk on the Senate floor again right now and I really wish there were some people shouting him down right now as he spews his words...

Oh? I have only had CNBC on and they have totally ignored the jackass.

Markets are up about 6% - 7% on hopes the deal has in fact been reached.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Speaking of Trump, why is his approval rating so high? He's done nothing but botch this response from beginning to end. No joke, it really makes me despair for the US,

Rally around the flag is in effect for now. The interesting question is how long it will last.

Also remember, those of us who pay attention to news and politics all the time are a tiny minority of weirdos in the U.S. Most people don't keep up with the news nearly as much as most posters on this thread. It takes time and effort for information to spread to them.

Ex-FBI Ali H.Soufan:

[ "I dealt with suicidal cults before. I encountered people who are willing to die for their faith, ideology, race, etc. But, I never encountered anyone who is willing to die for someone else’s 401k. This is a whole new level of craziness." ]

35 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Listen, things are bad enough right now without you forcing us all to think about this. 

You’re one bad post away from being Immortan Don’s personal ball washer.  

Picture that!

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ex-FBI Ali H.Soufan:

[ "I dealt with suicidal cults before. I encountered people who are willing to die for their faith, ideology, race, etc. But, I never encountered anyone who is willing to die for someone else’s 401k. This is a whole new level of craziness." ]

He was a guest speaker in one of my undergrad courses. He was very powerful and moving. He also made a kid quit the class when he broke him over his knee on the topic of torture.  

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Rally around the flag is in effect for now. The interesting question is how long it will last.

Also remember, those of us who pay attention to news and politics all the time are a tiny minority of weirdos in the U.S. Most people don't keep up with the news nearly as much as most posters on this thread. It takes time and effort for information to spread to them.

Not to mention this has mostly hit blue states the hardest so far, outside of perhaps Louisiana, Ohio and maybe Texas. I suspect for some of his fans, this is just another way to own the libs.

I doubt his approval rating stays the same when cases start spiking in red states, or when we start feeling the full-on economic effects.

Here in Minnesota, other tattooers have been asking me if we are going back to work on Saturday (the executive order ends then). We’ve all had to take first aid and bbp classes annually. How are any of them that naive. We’re not going to be poking holes in people for quite awhile boys, best get to work on those painting commissions.

There's plenty of work for everybody out of work if we'd organize for necessary actual work instead of the stock market.  It's not goldman sachs going out of business that is the problem it's all the little businesses and their employees.  Organize our willing work for PPE manufacture, scrubbing the buses, helping bring food to the sick and others, there's so much to do.  And when this is over, rebuild the highways, do flood prevention, o so frackin' much.  And make medical school affordable! Why is this considered unskilled and non-profitable?  It DOES STUFF.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

No Task Force briefing today. Instead, Trump went on Fox and bitched about flu deaths and automobile accidents.

I guess he's really, really pissed at Fauci.

Well, Trump has good reason to be mad at Fauci. He totally locked Kushner in that bathroom.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

There's plenty of work for everybody out of work if we'd organize for necessary actual work instead of the stock market.  It's not goldman sachs going out of business that is the problem it's all the little businesses and their employees.  Organize our willing work for PPE manufacture, scrubbing the buses, helping bring food to the sick and others, there's so much to do.  And when this is over, rebuild the highways, do flood prevention, o so frackin' much.  And make medical school affordable! Why is this considered unskilled and non-profitable?  It DOES STUFF.

Because it makes it easier to deprive them of the living wage and benefits they deserve while the employer reaps the extra profits. The cruelty is inherent in our system and we are complicit to varying degrees.

21 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, maybe he passed it on to his fellow Republican Senators. I mean, part of me is looking forward to Paul and McConnel competng for one one respirator.

Two assholes enter, one asshole leaves!

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

No Task Force briefing today. Instead, Trump went on Fox and bitched about flu deaths and automobile accidents.

I assumed his handlers didn't want him screwing up the market uptick because of the likely stimulus package...

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw some of the highlights. It looked like the Fox anchors were even taken aback by how cavalier he was. 

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I assumed his handlers didn't want him screwing up the market uptick because of the likely stimulus package...

Or perhaps the handlers that have been besides wouldn't go out there if his message was we're opening everything back up in a few weeks, which is a catastrophically dumb idea.

24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fauci will eventually be fired by Trump when he feels that there won't be too much blowback from doing so.  Fauci and potentially the head of the CDC and HHS will probably be made scapegoats by Trump for our disastrous response to this pandemic.

21 hours ago, DMC said:

Paul and McConnell social distanced long long before corona.

Hey, here's me hoping he infected the entire Republican Senate caucus.

21 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

"The current guidelines would not have called for me to get tested nor quarantined," he added. "It was my extra precaution, out of concern for my damaged lung, that led me to get tested."

What a twat.

I mean this statement basically reads. Only get tested because I was worried over my damaged lung, fuck anybody else, whom I might have put in danger.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I learned at Jacelyn’s bosom.   

That is so disappointing to hear on some levels. As I had marked you down as a fellow ass man.

But it's not as bad as your revelation of sporting a mullet.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Here in Minnesota, other tattooers have been asking me if we are going back to work on Saturday (the executive order ends then). We’ve all had to take first aid and bbp classes annually. How are any of them that naive. We’re not going to be poking holes in people for quite awhile boys, best get to work on those painting commissions.

I'm fully expecting a lock down to kick in soon, and it seems like the hospitals are prepping for it as well. And yet I'll still have to go to work, even if it means I'm just scanning old backlogged documents into the new system since there aren't any patients in our area anymore.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Not to mention this has mostly hit blue states the hardest so far, outside of perhaps Louisiana, Ohio and maybe Texas. I suspect for some of his fans, this is just another way to own the libs.

I doubt his approval rating stays the same when cases start spiking in red states, or when we start feeling the full-on economic effects.

I think the latter is right, and he is scrambling to get everyone back to work for precisely that reason. Havent been keeping track of Florida which is technically a red state, but they were hard hit in the beginning too.

Anyway, the effects of COVID-19 will be long-term, while these approval ratings are immediate. I should probably stop looking at them so frequently. A 6% unemployment rate at the time of the election will probably have a higher impact on reelection than a 44.5% approval rating right now.

12 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A 6% unemployment rate at the time of the election will probably have a higher impact on reelection than a 44.5% approval rating right now.

Nobody knows how this is all going to play out, but IMO it would take a minor miracle for unemployment to be that low in 7 months. 

I also think that the death rate is something that eventually is going to be hanging on Trump's shoulders, particularly if the US has a noticeably higher rate than Europe, Canada, and China, etc.  And all signs are pointing toward the US having the most confirmed COVID cases in about a week (ignoring the fact that the US probably already has the most cases, they just aren't testing because we're incompetent). 

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Trump can continue threading the needle and his support proves irresistible.  But "the normal rules don't apply to Trump" certainly didn't hold true in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 elections.  It is hard to believe he can successfully spin this colossal failure into a win, because the worst of this is all still ahead of us.  We aren't even at the end of the beginning yet. 

Note: if you wanted a metric for "the end of the beginning" what would it be?  The first time that new confirmed cases go down for 3 straight days? 

Archived