US Politics: Mad Max Beyond Corona Dome

Tywin Manderly

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

there are no cases as of yet in New Mexico

Absolutely not true.  There are no states without it and in New Mexico it is awful, as much as the info is suppressed so far. The poverty areas of the South East Heights of Albuquerque, last week, according to friend who is a public health worker in NM, is total catastrophe of poverty such no one here, particularly in the SF/F communities of New Mexico can begin to imagine within their very white middle class bubbles that never has and never does interact in any way with the larger communities of Chicanos.  In the Southeast Heights this is where the refugees, African Americans (NM is the worst place probably in all of the USA to live), Native Americans, the homeless and other people live, without any community safety net at all -- they are all crammed together and the stuff is exploding, as well as all the other terrible health infections.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:03 AM, Fragile Bird said:

West Virginia has finally decided to play catch-up and probably wins the overnight prize, almost doubling it case number, from 20 to 39! Woot!

I'm confused about this statement, are you excited? My state has been ahead of most about taking this serious. One of the first to shutdown and abide to social distancing. I'm sure there are more cases than 39, I know we lack in testing. Also, most probably get sick and just deal with it, rather than running to the hospital. That's our nature. 

I love that the governors are basically ignoring Trump's idiotic statement that he want the churches packed on Easter. I say to myself that it'll will be the end of Trump...I am not so sure. I say that because people are stupid. Alot of people just don't believe in the severity of the issue, thanks to Trump. I have so many family and friends who say, "Aw, its just like the flu, I don't see what all the fuss is about." It is so nerve racking, and I've giving up on trying to convince or explain any of it to them. They do not care. But, when it does take someone close to them, I'm sure then they will. 

Was watching MSNBC last night and they had a guest (I am assuming a Dr., but was a bit in my cups so not really sure) that said they believe the spread will slow significantly when it warms up. I was kinda suprised by that. Everything I've heard has said that it wouldn't. She said that the heat will kill the virus on surfaces and such, and person to person would be the transmission of Sars-Cov-2 during the summer months. Has anyone else heard this? I had been hearing the exact opposite. 

I work for a company in a neighboring state, we make composite decking boards. I am an essential employee...cant go without composite decking boards in a time like this. Its mind boggling, it shows the greed and stupidity of so many right now. It sad. 

1 minute ago, Cpl. Tunny said:

I'm confused about this statement, are you excited? My state has been ahead of most about taking this serious. One of the first to shutdown and abide to social distancing. I'm sure there are more cases than 39, I know we lack in testing. Also, most probably get sick and just deal with it, rather than running to the hospital. That's our nature. 

Sarcasm. Trump was bragging just days ago there were no cases in WV.

Here's a brutal story about the man who was likely the first positive case and how his wife fought to get him tested. The state absolutely tried to pretend there were no cases.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/west-virginia-coronavirus-patient-one-test/index.html

Jobless claims soar to record 3.3 million
It was the largest number, by far, of unemployment claims ever recorded for a single week.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/26/unemployment-claims-numbers-release-150052

Unemployment claims skyrocketed more than 1,000 percent last week to 3.3 million, the Labor Department reported Thursday, as the coronavirus pandemic and government measures to limit its devastation brought huge swaths of the U.S. economy to a halt.

It was by far the largest number of unemployment claims ever recorded for a single week since the government began collecting such data in 1967, but a wide disparity in claims across various states suggests the figure could be significantly undercounted.

Analysts predict more eye-popping numbers in the coming weeks as layoffs and bankruptcies continue through a crisis that economists are starting to compare to the Great Depression.

“I’m still in shock. I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Heidi Shierholz, a senior economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. The data “really brings it home that we are going through something we have never seen the likes of.”

38 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sarcasm. Trump was bragging just days ago there were no cases in WV.

Here's a brutal story about the man who was likely the first positive case and how his wife fought to get him tested. The state absolutely tried to pretend there were no cases.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/west-virginia-coronavirus-patient-one-test/index.html

Thanks for link. Yes, that explains how people think about this. Its a out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. And, Jim Justice.....WOW! You should of heard him address our state last Sunday. I think him and Trump are brothers. Complete nonsense is all I heard, and spoken like Trump. Want to know what his main concern was? He was upset that he had to cancel our state basketball tournament! I am truly suprised that he shut schools and businesses down as early as he did. Oh, Justice also ran as a Democrat to get elected, then switched to a Republican after he was...

Archived