Why did Nymeria never try to return to Arya?

Nagini's Neville

I often asked myself why Nymeria never returned to or tried to return to Arya ever since Arya was on the run from KL.

And why did Arya never think about calling her in some way? Try to figure out a way she would return to her?

Would Arya have to command her to come back for her to do so? Does Nymeria maybe believe she would not be wanted, until she was called back? Could Nymeria maybe be upset with Arya, when they are reunited, even though they still have a strong bond, could that cause trouble?

Could Nymeria instinctively have understood she might endanger Arya even more, when they would reunite, because a giant direwolf would surely identified her as a Stark? Is that the reason Arya doesn't contemplate reuniting with Nymeria?

For most of the time, she was with others (Yoren, Brotherhood) or cooped up at Harrenhal, so a reunion was impractical.  Also, her knowledge of geography is limited, so she might not known how close she was.

The wolf pack did help her escape by interfering with the search.

She did have wolf dreams after the Red Wedding, but she was intent on leaving the Riverlands, plus a wolf would brand her as a Stark, putting her in danger.

My guess is that the girl is like the wolf and the wolf is like the girl, if that makes any sense.

What I mean is that Arya has become a lone-wolf figure, roaming in the figurative wilderness all alone (yes, I know Nymeria has formed her own pack), and I don't see Nymeria returning to Arya until she has decided to leave her loneliness behind and rejoin her own pack (family). And right now, that is just not possible. But there will be day when the remaining Starks will be reunited (at least I hope). Then it will "a time for wolves".

3 minutes ago, Nevets said:

For most of the time, she was with others (Yoren, Brotherhood) or cooped up at Harrenhal, so a reunion was impractical.  Also, her knowledge of geography is limited, so she might not known how close she was.

She did have wolf dreams after the Red Wedding, but she was intent on leaving the Riverlands, plus a wolf would brand her as a Stark, putting her in danger.

yeah, thought of that too. They probably both would have been dead by now. And they don't really need to be together o stay connected. I just wonder, if both of them knew that instinctively? or at least nymeria.

Plus, it would be a very different story than we have now if Arya had her wolf. And I think what we have is what the George wanted to give us.

ETA: What I mean is, I know George seems to have let the story get out of hand, but I don't think that. I think he has been very careful to give us what we have on page so far. Does that mean he doesn't wish he would/could have done some things a little differently? Of course not. But having something in your mind and putting it on page COHERENTLY are two very different things.

7 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

yeah, thought of that too. They probably both would have been dead by now. And they don't really need to be together o stay connected. I just wonder, if both of them knew that instinctively? or at least nymeria.

I'm not sure it has even occurred to Arya that they might reunite.  She didn't have wolf dreams until after the RW, and much until Braavos.

Given that Arya drove Nymeria away, I think it is up to Arya to take the initiative.

21 minutes ago, Travis said:

ETA: What I mean is, I know George seems to have let the story get out of hand, but I don't think that. I think he has been very careful to give us what we have on page so far. Does that mean he doesn't wish he would/could have done some things a little differently? Of course not. But having something in your mind and putting it on page COHERENTLY are two very different things.

I agree. I guess i was just interested in ppl's opinions about the details of the warg-wolf relationship - since we are still very much in the dark, when it comes to those.

I don't doubt for a second, that George has much more of a plan, than most ppl believe. IMO most readers get hung up to much on the word "gardner"

So, of course it's intentional, that they aren't together, was just interested which in universe explanations there could be. And which effects the long separation could have on Arya and Nymeria. If Nymeria feels rejected? I like your explanation about "the lone wolf".

Getting back together again might ground them both and help solve Arya's identity issues.

44 minutes ago, Nevets said:

27 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I'm not sure it has even occurred to Arya that they might reunite.  She didn't have wolf dreams until after the RW, and much until Braavos.

Given that Arya drove Nymeria away, I think it is up to Arya to take the initiative.

I agree with both.

But I want to stress to @Nagini's Neville that Nymeria is imo checking up on Arya. It is doubtful that Nyermia's little cousins surrounded Harrenhal by coincidence or on their own initiative. It is too deliberate a call for Arya to flee from Harrenhal as well as wolves making short work of Arya's pursuers. And only Nymeria would have an interest in protecting Arya. This also suggests that the wolves the boys and men on the road in the RL hear while still with Yoren are also following tabs on Arya. It seems to me that Nymeria had her pack "shadow" Arya.

Also Arya remains connected to Nymeria, for she has wolf dreams even in Braavos. Arya is just unaware of what it means or even that those dreams aren't just "dreams".

3 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I agree with both.

But I want to stress to @Nagini's Neville that Nymeria is imo checking up on Arya. It is doubtful that Nyermia's little cousins surrounded Harrenhal by coincidence or on their own initiative. It is too deliberate a call for Arya to flee from Harrenhal as well as wolves making short work of Arya's pursuers. And only Nymeria would have an interest in protecting Arya. This also suggests that the wolves the boys and men on the road in the RL hear while still with Yoren are also following tabs on Arya. It seems to me that Nymeria had her pack "shadow" Arya.

Also Arya remains connected to Nymeria, for she has wolf dreams even in Braavos. Arya is just unaware of what it means or even that those dreams aren't just "dreams".

I like this, and very much agree.

9 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I agree with both.

Makes sense. And meeting up with her in person/ animal would be to dangerous. Nymeria probably senses that and therefore tries to help and protect Arya in different ways. 

7 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Oh my god, he is perfect! who ever the artist is did an amazing job! That's how I picture him. Edd is great!

perfect gloomy expression :laugh:

:) Cannot find the original fanartist anymore. They did base their drawing on a picture of Ben Crompton, the actor who played Dolorous Edd in the abomination. Just didn't want to use an actor's picture.

3 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

:) Cannot find the original fanartist anymore. They did base their drawing on a picture of Ben Crompton, the actor who played Dolorous Edd in the abomination. Just didn't want to use an actor's picture.

I've not seen everything of the abomination yet. So I just googled the actor. He actually looks quite alright- just much older, than imagined (but maybe he is older, than I imagine him). I like the picture better, though! the picture is perfect :) 

29 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

What is "bad breakup"? Sorry not a native speaker :huh:;)

It means that their split was unfriendly.  Considering that Arya chased her away with rocks, I think it is up to Arya to indicate it is OK to re-establish contact.

Archived