Why do people believe Bran cannot/will not ever father children.

Back in Black-Snow

Thank you @kissedbyfire and @cyberdirectorfreedom for your contributions. I have been overwhelemed with things going on in the real world the past few days and have not had time to contribute the this post or the forum as a whole.

But I very much appreciate the text provided. I have not done a re-read in a couple years or so, and honestly I don't spend time looking up text when I discuss different topics/things on this forum.

So thank you both, and to everyone else who has contributed. I wasn't just making an OP for arguments' sake, but genuinely wanted an answer and I feel that you two, @kissedbyfire and @cyberdirectorfreedom provided that answer.

Sorry if things are messed up. I am just now trying to figure out how to tag people. So forgive me if there is any confusion.

Also, thank you to everyone else who has contributed.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, Travis said:

I respect this. I even agree with it, kind of. What I mean is, I would respect George's to change his mind, since he hasn't given us anything in concrete, except for Ned's thoughts.

Yeah, technically he can. Thematically, I think the odds are about zero though.

Only death can pay for life is a very deep theme in this series. In other variations, we get only death (or infertility, death of children, estrangement of children or loss of one's family heritage, etc) can pay for life (or exceptional abilities which amount to remarkable control over the lives and deaths of others). It's in the barren and eunuch healers who save the lives of the Dothraki, the silent sisters who are healers of the dead, unmarried Maesters, officially childless KG and NW, and magic users being disadvantaged somehow with their children, if they have any at all. It comes from rl, too. Exceptional supernatural beings and superheroes don't get traditional families. Even see it in rl religion, too. Bran gets exceptional abilities in his influence over the lives and deaths of others (Others?), but there's a big cost to that.

21 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

My simplistic understanding is that it would depend exactly where his back broke, which specific vertebrae. Given that he can use his upper body I believe he should be good to go but idk for sure.

It does, to a degree. But even w/o knowing exactly where his spinal cord was severed, we do know that he has no use of his legs, no feeling, and at the same time can move his arms and has normal respiratory function. So we know the lesion is not too high. But the main thing is, there’s no activity below the waist, meaning an erection would be practically impossible save some sort of miracle/magical cure or Bran being an exception to the rule. 

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It does, to a degree. But even w/o knowing exactly where his spinal cord was severed, we do know that he has no use of his legs, no feeling, and at the same time can move his arms and has normal respiratory function. So we know the lesion is not too high. But the main thing is, there’s no activity below the waist, meaning an erection would be practically impossible save some sort of miracle/magical cure or Bran being an exception to the rule. 

So does Bran have continence issues?

8 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So does Bran have continence issues?

Very likely, together w/ erectile and/or ejaculatory issues. 

ETA: I don’t think we’ll get more info on how physically disabled Bran is or isn’t though...

Archived