What are you listening to 25 - Passing Emergency Love

Lykos

On 3/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, Eru Illuvatar said:

Gasoline by Audislave. Favorite song ever.

I get in fights with friends over this.

I respect the rebel attitude of Rage Against the Machine, but it does have a bit of that rap/rock element that overall just does not work great for me.

I also respect the shit out of Cornell because he clearly had talent, but I hated Sound Garden overall.  Seriously, their songs sucked.  Show me a person who is an avowed Soundgarden fan today...

Audioslave combined Cornell's vocal talent with a band that a sane person could appreciate.  Too bad there isn't more of it.

The three dudes from Rage/Audioslave had the same thing as Chili Peppers where it was like "you three, start playing, OK, there's a song." 

15 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

I also respect the shit out of Cornell because he clearly had talent, but I hated Sound Garden overall.  Seriously, their songs sucked.  Show me a person who is an avowed Soundgarden fan today...

*raises hand*

3 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

No way dude.  Their sound was seriously mangled.  

Nah, they brought a good mix of punk ferocity, the heaviness of metal, and the weirdness of psychedelia. When it worked, it fucking worked. Plus, Kim Thayil, Chris Cornell, Matt Cameron, and Ben Shepherd all brought some serious chops to the music. None of them were slouches in their respective roles.

I'd say that the "mangled aspect" of some of their songs is what made them unique, especially amongst the "Big 4" of grunge.

Cornell' ability was legit as has been said, but dude, their songs were like what you would play if you were in GWB's black site's torturing people and trying to make them crack.  

:lol:

Pretty sure that's what black metal was made for.

18 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Nah, they brought a good mix of punk ferocity, the heaviness of metal, and the weirdness of psychedelia. When it worked, it fucking worked. Plus, Kim Thayil, Chris Cornell, Matt Cameron, and Ben Shepherd all brought some serious chops to the music. None of them were slouches in their respective roles.

I'd say that the "mangled aspect" of some of their songs is what made them unique, especially amongst the "Big 4" of grunge.

:lol:

Pretty sure that's what black metal was made for.

OK dude, you obviously know your shit, and I respectfully disagree with some of what you say.

But do you agree with my bass/drums/guitar Rage = bass/drums/guitar = RHCP thing however I ought to have written it?

On 3/22/2021 at 11:58 PM, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

OK dude, you obviously know your shit, and I respectfully disagree with some of what you say.

Hah. It's music and this is the internet. Nobody is going to agree on anything. Pretty sure that's a maxim of the universe or something.

But do you agree with my bass/drums/guitar Rage = bass/drums/guitar = RHCP thing however I ought to have written it?

Personally, I think de la Rocha brings waaaay more to Rage than Kiedis ever brought to RHCP. Rage always felt more collaborative to me and Kiedis was always the weak link in RHCP. Not that I hate Kiedis, he's fine, but the others always felt like the true stars of the show.

As for what I'm listening to:

Recently came across the Belgian pop artist Angèle, who has quite a few catchy tunes. Apparently she also collaborated with Dua Lipa. What I particularly liked about her is that the videos are quite fun. This one for "Balance ton Quoi" is quite blunt about its message:

Apparently it's a play on the #Balancetonporc movement, a French version of #metoo, which seemed primarily targeted at men being "pigs" by cat-calling or being otherwise sleazy, but her song expands on the varieties of bad behavior. I was confused because "Balance" doesn't sound relevant, but apparently it's colloquial idiom for "throwing at" or "snitching", so I guess... "Denounce your whatever" or "Snitch on your whatever" would be a proper translation?

"Oui ou Non" has another good video, that touches on consumer consumption and advertising in its video:

And as a final sampling, maybe her biggest hit to date, "Tout Oublier" featuring her brother, the rapper Roméo Elvis:

• 2 weeks later...