What are you listening to 25 - Passing Emergency Love

Lykos

Encountered this below via an aside in Jeff Gerstmann's GOTY list for 2021:

I wish it was longer, a sub-2 minute song is just too little, but it's catchy as hell. And I deeply relate with most of the lyrics.

There’s a podcast I adore that does a deep dive into 20th century country music; it’s called Cocaine & Rhinestones and it is amazing. This season is all about George Jones and as a consequence I’ve been listening to George as well as a ton of other artists during the same time period, particularly Billy Sherrill-era stuff.  

Somehow, in that mix, I’ve managed to add some Tina Turner (old school with Ike) as well as some Prince and Howling Wolf.  

3 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

There’s a podcast I adore that does a deep dive into 20th century country music; it’s called Cocaine & Rhinestones and it is amazing. This season is all about George Jones and as a consequence I’ve been listening to George as well as a ton of other artists during the same time period, particularly Billy Sherrill-era stuff.  

I listened to the episodes in s1. They were all very entertaining. The host, Tyler Mahan Coe is fantastic. I need to catch up on s2.

I've been listening to a ton of Lucero, with some Drive-By Truckers sprinkled in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, Astromech said:

I listened to the episodes in s1. They were all very entertaining. The host, Tyler Mahan Coe is fantastic. I need to catch up on s2.

I've been listening to a ton of Lucero, with some Drive-By Truckers sprinkled in.

So, season 3 finished up on C&R - I learned way more than I ever needed to know about Jones, Tammy Wynette, all her husbands...it was a lot.  But so, so good.

This week I have been listening to Waxahatchee nonstop, along with Kurt Vile.  And for some odd reason, a lot of Louvin Brothers and Buck Owens.  I've got the "Dwight sings Buck" album, but haven't listened yet.  I know it's going to be wonderful.

1 hour ago, Elder Sister said:

This week I have been listening to Waxahatchee nonstop, along with Kurt Vile. 

Have you listened to The War on Drugs at all? They have some of the same vibe as Kurt Vile (he was a member at one point, so not too surprising). I Don't Live Here Anymore is their latest and it has some great driving around with the windows down vibes.

18 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Have you listened to The War on Drugs at all? They have some of the same vibe as Kurt Vile (he was a member at one point, so not too surprising). I Don't Live Here Anymore is their latest and it has some great driving around with the windows down vibes.

I love The War on Drugs, along with Lord Huron.  Both bands are constantly in rotation - great music!

I adore Kurt Vile because a lot of his songs sound like he's making them up on the spot...like he's just free-thinking aloud or something.  

5 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I adore Kurt Vile because a lot of his songs sound like he's making them up on the spot...like he's just free-thinking aloud or something.  

This is really the best description there is of Kurt Vile's music.

On 2/11/2022 at 12:47 AM, Mr. X said:

A couple of weeks late, but I just wanted to echo the sentiment. One of my favourites of theirs-

so much mark lanegan. 

a kid in the 90s in the northwest i pegged (wrongly) for screaming trees to be one of the biggest bands from the scene and let the world know what was what. 

his subsequent solo/collaboration works were lovely. bubblegum is a favorite album always and forever. his gutter twins album with greg from afghan whigs became an inadvertent soundtrack of the end of my first marriage.

he's an artist I've seen several times over the years and always loved. totally bummed as shit for him to be gone. he became so prolific in the last several year and that voice is just so fucking massive and serious.

rip.