What are you listening to 25 - Passing Emergency Love

Lykos

So Carlos and band drifted into Woodstock pretty much as starving artists....and then made history!

"Santana’s astronomically low fee ($750) doesn’t come as much of a surprise. When he began his 45-minute Saturday afternoon set, he and his group were relatively unknown; his debut album had not yet been released, and he’d only begun to gain an underground following. But as the group’s latin percussion ricocheted off the crowd, Santana quickly gained approval -- and by the end of the set, the guitarist had launched himself into the echelons of rock history."

• 4 weeks later...

Been rewatching Halt and Catch Fire, and I'm really liking these songs used in season 1 and have been listening to these guys' albums. Perfevt 1980s vibe, although, as I found out to my surprise, in both cases it's actually music from the 2010s with a retro sound - unlike 99% of the music used on the show, which is normally from the time period, but this was OK as these songs were used in musical montages (and worked perfectly!) where it's just us the audience hearing the music, it wasn't like the characters were listening to the songs, as with most of the songs on the show. (The Americans did something similar when they used a contemporary song just once, a new Pete Townsend song with an 1980s vibe, in a musical montage.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Songs I have to learn for a music project that will exist when covid ducks off and live music can happen again:

Ween, the Specials, Bowie, dinosaur Jr, Kruangbin, Almman Bros.  Seems like a fun list.  Only ones I requested that got on the list were Moonlight Mile and Goodbye Porkpie Hat, but like most of it regardless 

Encountered this below via an aside in Jeff Gerstmann's GOTY list for 2021:

I wish it was longer, a sub-2 minute song is just too little, but it's catchy as hell. And I deeply relate with most of the lyrics.

There’s a podcast I adore that does a deep dive into 20th century country music; it’s called Cocaine & Rhinestones and it is amazing. This season is all about George Jones and as a consequence I’ve been listening to George as well as a ton of other artists during the same time period, particularly Billy Sherrill-era stuff.  

Somehow, in that mix, I’ve managed to add some Tina Turner (old school with Ike) as well as some Prince and Howling Wolf.  

3 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

There’s a podcast I adore that does a deep dive into 20th century country music; it’s called Cocaine & Rhinestones and it is amazing. This season is all about George Jones and as a consequence I’ve been listening to George as well as a ton of other artists during the same time period, particularly Billy Sherrill-era stuff.  

I listened to the episodes in s1. They were all very entertaining. The host, Tyler Mahan Coe is fantastic. I need to catch up on s2.

I've been listening to a ton of Lucero, with some Drive-By Truckers sprinkled in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, Astromech said:

I listened to the episodes in s1. They were all very entertaining. The host, Tyler Mahan Coe is fantastic. I need to catch up on s2.

I've been listening to a ton of Lucero, with some Drive-By Truckers sprinkled in.

So, season 3 finished up on C&R - I learned way more than I ever needed to know about Jones, Tammy Wynette, all her husbands...it was a lot.  But so, so good.

This week I have been listening to Waxahatchee nonstop, along with Kurt Vile.  And for some odd reason, a lot of Louvin Brothers and Buck Owens.  I've got the "Dwight sings Buck" album, but haven't listened yet.  I know it's going to be wonderful.

1 hour ago, Elder Sister said:

This week I have been listening to Waxahatchee nonstop, along with Kurt Vile. 

Have you listened to The War on Drugs at all? They have some of the same vibe as Kurt Vile (he was a member at one point, so not too surprising). I Don't Live Here Anymore is their latest and it has some great driving around with the windows down vibes.