Let's hatewatch some stuff, and roll in the mud as we rip it apart!

Centrist Simon Steele

I love to hatewatch stuff. While I've always loved Martin's books, I hated the show, and I hatewatched it for five or so seasons. I just find a certain joy in ripping things to pieces. So I thought, given the quarantine, now would be a good time to just revel in the grime and let our negative sides run free (in a safe space)!

What do you all love to hatewatch? If it's popular, what makes you hate it?

I suppose it goes without saying, spoilers are involved, but because this is potentially an exhaustive list of things we've watched, let's use spoiler tags.For me, the first in depth hatewatch I ever did was with the Walking Dead.

Spoiler

I loved zombies. Ever since I saw Night of the Living Dead when I was a teenager, it captured my imagination. (I even wrote a zombie novel back around 2001--I ought to revisit that). When the zombie renaissance hit in the early 2000s, I was in heaven. Zombies were everywhere! When the Walking Dead came out, I was so stoked. I started watching, and I don't know how long it took, but it wasn't long. Maybe when the Sheriff rode his brand new horse into a city and promptly got his horse killed. The Walking Dead was, to me, everything wrong with the genre. Characters acting out of their established characterization patterns so terrible "shocking" things could happen. 

Aside from the horse here are some more issues (haven't seen it in years, I'm sure my list is much longer): Old man with fisherman hat always being dumb--like when he was supposed to stand guard on top of an RV on a highway full of abandoned cars. All around them were open fields, yet somehow, he misses the biggest pack of roving zombies slowly sneaking up on them, and of course, SHOCKING STUFF happens. Or when they're living on the farm, and they come across a group of people who try to kill them, and they capture one of the villains who has been horribly wounded. The "bad" guy of the group argues they have to kill the guy. The "good guys" argue they must heal him and let him go. So, you know, this guy who previously tried to kill them will return to his bigger group of buddies and lead them right to the farm. This is the dumbest argument I've ever seen. Kill the dude. Jeez.

I also remember in the first season the group was decimated when they were celebrating and apparently had no guards around the camp, and the zombies strolled right in and started murdering everyone.

I have so much more, but I think I'll go back and hatewatch the series again and take notes. I'd love to hear from all of you.

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I just thought I'd make people aware of  https://www.netflixparty.com/ because it's a lot more fun to hate watch with other people. I swear netflix used to have a watch together feature years ago but they took it out. 

I think they said they put it back on due to the current issues

45 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Nip/Tuck is one of my favorite shows, even though I now recognize it is very, very bad.

Details! Maybe I'll add this to my list.

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I just thought I'd make people aware of  https://www.netflixparty.com/ because it's a lot more fun to hate watch with other people. I swear netflix used to have a watch together feature years ago but they took it out. 

This is really cool, I had no idea about that. 

I've hatewatched GoT, the Walking Dead, and too much of the CW Arrow verse, but I've seldom been able to hate re-watch (re-hatewatch?)

No show comes to mind, but The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is an example. Soon to be joined by The Rise of Skywalker.

There's a new fantasy show on Netflix, Letter to the King, that may be a worthy hatewatch candidate for these times. I watched the first episode a couple of days ago, and thought it was very meh. Generic fantasy stuff without anything interesting going for it. 

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

There's a new fantasy show on Netflix, Letter to the King, that may be a worthy hatewatch candidate for these times. I watched the first episode a couple of days ago, and thought it was very meh. Generic fantasy stuff without anything interesting going for it. 

That's funny!  Because I started watching it Saturday night, and it's the only thing that seemed to work for me right now.  Derivative as hell, YA too, which I don't care for normally, but like the earlier seasons of Merlin, it is working for me now.  Those little YA silly bits keep the dire from being too dire -- it's walking -- for me -- a very fine line with all that, but very successfully at the moment. There are only 6 episodes anyway.  I've done 3.

I managed to hate watch about half a season of Vikings. Hate reading the threads and watching trailers was still amusing though. 

Also the Michael Hirst bot was hilarious. 

On that topic, is it finished yet or still going? 

@GallowsKnight

Eta:think I tagged the wrong person but can't delete, sorry! 

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Perfect! I'm starting tonight. I wonder if this will be a "so bad I don't hate it" like Legend of the Seeker when it aired originally.

24 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I managed to hate watch about half a season of Vikings. Hate reading the threads and watching trailers was still amusing though. 

On that topic, is it finished yet or still going? 

I don't know if it is finished or not, but I watched a couple of seasons trying to like it. I thought Lagertha was great, for example. But most of the vikings (like the main guy) looked like dudes who live in Wyoming and horde guns. I just couldn't see many of them as Vikings--though that wasn't true for some like Lagertha, and I think the main character's brother. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've hatewatched GoT, the Walking Dead, and too much of the CW Arrow verse, but I've seldom been able to hate re-watch (re-hatewatch?)

No show comes to mind, but The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is an example. Soon to be joined by The Rise of Skywalker.

OMG, yes. I think I threw my remote 3 times at least.

The CinemaSins video for that one is great too cause he looses his shit with the film at almost the exact same time I did.

I'd consider my entire experience watching Lucifer hate-watching. That show is so stupid, predictable, banal, and damnit I watched the shit out of all these incredibly beautiful people solving idiotic crime mysteries and doing light-hearted bondage soap opera. Can't wait for the eye-rolling finale season that will piss me off constantly as I binge the entire thing in one sitting.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you really want to turn hate watching up to 11, may I suggest the eighth and final season of Dexter. Show has easily the worst ending ever and I don't think it's even close. 

It’s definitely close. Look no further than the finale of the show that brought many of us to this board...

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It’s definitely close. Look no further than the finale of the show that brought many of us to this board...

Nah, they aren't in the same league. GoT fell off after season four, like Dexter, but the fall wasn't as bad and there was a lot to like from the second half of the show. Dexter, OTOH, was straight garbage descending into the void of hell after the fourth season. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, they aren't in the same league. GoT fell off after season four, like Dexter, but the fall wasn't as bad and there was a lot to like from the second half of the show. Dexter, OTOH, was straight garbage descending into the void of hell after the fourth season. 

I’m only talking about the ending. There was a lot I liked in the late seasons of GoT, despite a ton of issues. But that final season? Particularly the finale...I immediately thought to myself this is the worst series finale since Dexter. And I’m certainly not alone in that opinion. It was pretty much universally panned, and currently sits at a 4.1 on IMDb (for comparison Dexter’s finale is 4.6). 

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m only talking about the ending. There was a lot I liked in the late seasons of GoT, despite a ton of issues. But that final season? Particularly the finale...I immediately thought to myself this is the worst series finale since Dexter. And I’m certainly not alone in that opinion. It was pretty much universally panned, and currently sits at a 4.1 on IMDb (for comparison Dexter’s finale is 4.6). 

Well maybe I'm biased..............but called it! Snow killing Dany and the throne getting melted. Lame his poor ass got the shaft though. I was personally more bothered by the Lannister twin's ending. 

Archived