Will We Stand The Corona Test of Time? - Covid #7

Tywin Manderly

5 minutes ago, Arakan said:

What is up with UK testing? Still only 6k/day according to the newest figures released. 

Supression

Containment

Systematic tracing and tracking

thats the only viable way to fight this virus. But hardly possible with this laughable amount of testing. 

We don't have enough testing kits. The government decided that with limited resources, they should focus on ordering ventilators and face masks and on social distancing, not testing.

Like you say, this is insane. Without testing and fast testing of the kind they have in Germany, we simply have no way of knowing where the hell we are.

5 minutes ago, Arakan said:

What is up with UK testing? Still only 6k/day according to the newest figures released. 

Supression

Containment

Systematic tracing and tracking

thats the only viable way to fight this virus. But hardly possible with this laughable amount of testing. 

Indeed, there was a spike at 8,400 on the 19th which I was hoping was part of a trend, but they’re not climbing as fast as I’d like.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Look at the bright side of thngs. If you do go forward your work experience will make you a far better lawyer than some smart ass preppie little bastard with brains and no bedside manner.

Maybe. More realistically I’ll have better study habits with maturity. I have no clue how I graduated summa cum laude with high distinction while skipping class to sell grass.

14 minutes ago, sologdin said:

and if you grover dill with some federalist society greasers in law school, maybe trump will appoint you to supreme court during his fifth term in office.

Screw those polished up hood rats.

Also, there is another clear problem: I think the Constitution needs to be shredded. Probably not a popular opinion to have while in law school.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

We don't have enough testing kits. The government decided that with limited resources, they should focus on ordering ventilators and face masks and on social distancing, not testing.

Like you say, this is insane. Without testing and fast testing of the kind they have in Germany, we simply have no way of knowing where the hell we are.

I fear for London. This is a true megalopolis. And as we have seen in Milan metropolitan region, Madrid and now New York this is a nightmare. France and Germany are lucky so far. In Germany even though the infections/capita are higher in the big cities, it’s still relatively good spread. God knows how it would look like if the Berlin area (5 Mio) or Frankfurt Rhein Main area (5 Mio) would be affected like Madrid or NY now. Germany so far was relatively „lucky“. One explanation for the low CFR so far. Capacity is still not overwhelmed. No magic there. 

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

On a state level, not a national one, but the state of Oklahoma has only performed about 700-800 tests, total. This is out of a population of 4 million, and we were the epicenter of the NBA shutting down. I cannot believe that there are only 83 statewide cases.

26 minutes ago, Whitestripe said:

I want Andrew Cuomo to be the president right now. That is all. 

I am not a fan of his politics, but holy fucking lord, I'd trade competence over orthodoxy 10 times out of 10 right about now.

We have done about 122,000 tests in Canada. At first, every case was travel related. After a few weeks travel/community case were 50/50. Now the chief public health officer is saying in the last couple of days it’s been 90% community.

A number of the larger clusters have been at nursing homes, long term care facilities. But in addition to those damned dentists, there was a curling bonspiel in Alberta just 10 days ago attended by medical workers from Alberta and Saskatchewan. 72 people attended, and this was after Alberta banned gatherings of more than 250 people or 50 essential workers. 10 doctors and another medical professional were infected there! Also, several attendees from Saskatchewan are infected, including the head of the medical association.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

Italy number jumped again, nearly 750 deaths. 

Fuck. I suspected it was too good to carry on. Hopefully this might be plateauing (and hopefully lower than Iran's, which has plateaued around 1,000 per day, JFC) before an eventual proper decline.

Jesus, I've never been more jealous of the Scandinavian countries than I am now. Look at this site:

https://www.vg.no/spesial/2020/corona/

Look at the quality information, the way it's presented, the easy way to drill down by county, the openness. Man.

Also Norway locked down things early and their curve is so far awesome. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Jesus, I've never been more jealous of the Scandinavian countries than I am now. Look at this site:

Look at the quality information, the way it's presented, the easy way to drill down by county, the openness. Man.

And still we discuss whether or not one can move to our cabins for the duration... 

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Jesus Christ, I'd kill for that. Can't even get regular updates on the total number of tests conducted on the health department's website here. The last update is like 2 days out of date I think.

Interesting dataset estimating social distancing in US.  Uses aggregated cell phone location data to estimate how much people are traveling, compared to a normal day.  Obviously, such a metric has some limitations, but overall Americans are traveling 32% less than "normal" since social distancing started.  Overall, social distancing is happening more in "blue" states and counties, and less in more republican areas.  No surprises there. 

17 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In Norway you can casually log in and find out what your friends and neighbours earn each year. They are open as fuck. 

41 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I am not a fan of his politics, but holy fucking lord, I'd trade competence over orthodoxy 10 times out of 10 right about now.

A question to all my dear fellow US posters here. I just watched Cuomo‘s press conference/urgency presentation in some hall. 

A competent, intelligent, determined and dedicated political leader. Objective clear analysis, no fake melodrama, no nonsense attitude. Calm but focused. I don’t know nothing about his policies or ideological standings. Doesn’t even matter. He seems a man of integrity. If you agree with him or not. 

How in God‘s name is some bullshit con artist like Trump president and not he? How is a nice grandpa like Biden presumably running against the con artist? It doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it’s because I like leadership styles like Merkel or former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt. But it makes no sense to me. Cuomo can rebuild the US. Sorry OT I guess. 

1 minute ago, Arakan said:

How in God‘s name is some bullshit con artist like Trump president and not he? How is a nice grandpa like Biden presumably running against the con artist? It doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it’s because I like leadership styles like Merkel or former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt. But it makes no sense to me. Cuomo can rebuild the US. Sorry OT I guess. 

Because Americans have forgotten about what good leaders are, and we elect our officials on a popularity contest/entertainment contest, and not on qualifications and leadership ability. 

Archived