Will We Stand The Corona Test of Time? - Covid #7

Tywin Manderly

14 minutes ago, Arakan said:

apocalyptic scenario that New York is facing right now. 

Hyperbole much? It's a quarantine that our generous media was kind enough to rebrand. There aren't bodies in the goddamn street.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hyperbole much? It's a quarantine that our generous media was kind enough to rebrand. There aren't bodies in the goddamn street.

When I hear Cuomo and he talks about a peak of 100k-140k of infections of which 20% need hospitalization, all of which will happen until Easter, I think, yes for a developed Western OECD nation this is apocalyptic. 

6 minutes ago, Arakan said:

When I hear Cuomo and he talks about a peak of 100k-140k of infections of which 20% need hospitalization, all of which will happen until Easter, I think, yes for a developed Western OECD nation this is apocalyptic. 

If every one of those predicted infections killed the host, what do you think would happen? Would life just stop? The earth gonna halt its rotation because barely a percent of NY City's population died? 

Do you understand what apocalyptic means? I'm not against using the word, but c'mon man. A nuke being dropped on your city is apocalyptic. Being firebombed or watching the black death kill 1/4 of the population is apocalyptic. 

People freaking the fuck out at the concept of being hygienic could reasonably be called disruptive. Not apocalyptic.

This excessive fearsplaining helps no one.

9 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

If every one of those predicted infections killed the host, what do you think would happen? Would life just stop? The earth gonna halt its rotation because barely a percent of NY City's population died? 

Do you understand what apocalyptic means? I'm not against using the word, but c'mon man. A nuke being dropped on your city is apocalyptic. Being firebombed or watching the black death kill 1/4 of the population is apocalyptic. 

People freaking the fuck out at the concept of being hygienic could reasonably be called disruptive. Not apocalyptic.

This excessive fearsplaining helps no one.

It’s all relative. Time moves fast these days. I have been following this since Wuhan had been put under quarantine. I remember all the talk a month back when the first 10 towns in Italy where put in quarantine. „Yeah it won’t be so bad.“ A lot of funny memes made the round back then. Now? In average 600-700 Italians die each day. Be aware all still relatively concentrated. In Madrid now the same Situation. 

We will talk in a month again. 
Western rich societies are not used to really suffer anymore. I mean the UK or the US never really were, relatively speaking. Till this day the Blitz is used by certain demographics to show how resilient and what a punch the people can take. But what was the Blitz? 60.000 people died, horrendous yes. Compare this to the punch the Russians or the Chinese or the Japanese or the Germans had to take. It’s all relative. Of course it’s just my opinion and maybe I am too much driven by worst case scenarios. But as the saying goes: expect the worst, hope for the best. 

6 minutes ago, Arakan said:

It’s all relative. Time moves fast these days. I have been following this since Wuhan had been put under quarantine. I remember all the talk a month back when the first 10 towns in Italy where put in quarantine. „Yeah it won’t be so bad.“ A lot of funny memes made the round back then. Now? In average 600-700 Italians die each day. Be aware all still relatively concentrated. In Madrid now the same Situation. 

We will talk in a month again. 
Western rich societies are not used to really suffer anymore. I mean the UK or the US never really were, relatively speaking. Till this day the Blitz is used by certain demographics to show how resilient and what a punch the people can take. But what was the Blitz? 60.000 people died, horrendous yes. Compare this to the punch the Russians or the Chinese or the Japanese or the Germans had to take. It’s all relative. Of course it’s just my opinion and maybe I am too much driven by worst case scenarios. But as the saying goes: expect the worst, hope for the best.

Millions dying still isn't apolcalyptic

1 minute ago, lessthanluke said:

Millions dying still isn't apolcalyptic

I was speaking of the operative situation in NY. Not the world. Anyway, we will see. I have no wish to discuss semantics. Change apocalyptic into really very bad. 

China will be ok. Most developed Asian countries as well. Russia as well. They‘ll shrug it off as usual. Germany too will be fine relatively speaking. As will be the Scandinavian countries. Eastern Europe will have Chinese support, hopefully. 

Africa, the US, Latin America, India, Bangladesh etc.? We will see. 

Expect the worst, hope for the best. 

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s getting even better. I’ve been reassign to oversee wound care. A few years back I was charged with completely redoing the billing process. I did a handful of studies and wrote a lengthy guide as to what is wrong and how it can be fixed. Everything I suggested would be fairly easy to do and it would save the company a ton of money. Shortly after I submitted it I was effectively demoted.

They changed NOTHING!!!!!! It’s still the same broken process.

That smells like a racket! Some people are surely making a killing due to that broken process, and it is likely one of the many wasteful practices.

In my country health care actors are required by law to be frugal and efficient, so health care insurance companies and the various regulators overseeing the health care industry would have made short work of such a wilfully negligent health care provider. 

Apocalyptic can refer to the complete destruction of the world, humanity or civilisation (which would not apply); or a paradigm-shifting event in which the survivors are scarred and life cannot return to normal, or if it can it will take some effort, which may apply depending on the total death toll.

People forget that although 20,000 people may be a drop in the ocean for the UK population, or 200,000 for the American, that's more than enough for most people to know someone who will have passed away, and certainly for most people to have known someone who got sick (I'm up to two friends who have had the virus and are recovering, and another four or five friends-of-friends or looser acquaintances). Social anxiety about this happening again may also be a thing for some time.

Since the USA is not doing remotely enough to contain the problem, the death toll there will be far higher. Worst-case projections of 11-15 million may be unlikely, but any death toll in the millions (far outstripping 9/11, the War on Terror, the American Civil War, Vietnam, WWI and WWII, all combined) will be a bruising event for Americans, and hundreds of thousands would still be horrific. There's also the chance - if very slim - that such a mass infection base would existentially endanger chains of supply of goods, food and medical equipment in the US in a way that other countries have and will avoid.

I really find the reasoning, especially of right-leaning people interesting. Look what happened after 9/11. War on terror. War in Afghanistan. War in Iraq. Destabilization of the Middle East, war in Libya, war in Syria, coups in Egypt. Migration crisis in Europe. Rise of the far-right in Europe. Rise of the far-right in the US, resulting in the election of Donald fucking Trump, an idiot and clown and garbage of a human being, as US president. It all is connected. 

And why? Because, absolutely unemotionally speaking, two very big houses were destroyed and 3000 people died. Killed by a bunch of lunatic terrorists. That’s it actually. The repercussions are felt until today. 

This is so much bigger. So many domino stones are beginning to fall. 

It’s garbage day today and half an hour ago (7:00 am) I went out to add to the food recycling bin and the recycling bin (it’s actually recycling collection, which alternates with garbage). Normally for the next hour or two the street would be alive with people heading off to work and children going to school. Not a person in sight today, not one.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Spain finally had fewer deaths than the day before.  They need something to cling to. 

My mum's been filling me in from her small town. They had one person ill and they're recovering. The police and medical staff locked down the town tight, traced every point of contact with the infected person and they've found no evidence of spread. You still can't go out on the streets and everyone is getting their deliveries done by local services (one benefit of a relatively small, centralised community). They definitely have the feeling that if they can keep this up for a few more weeks and other towns can be as successful, they can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Her community does have a fair number of older people but no care homes, which seems to have caused a lot of accelerated outbreaks in other parts of Spain. One benefit of Brexit is that something like half the immigrant British population upped and moved home, many of them in their seventies or older.

The chief medical consultant of the German government, a virologist named Drosten, just said that Germany has ramped up testing to half a million per week (70k/day). Very good. I hope this systematic approach will help to break the chain of infections and we can slowly go back to more normality (I expect end of April). 

It’s really easy to understand. Without systematic testing, one simply cannot get ahead of the curve. That’s the lesson of South Korea, Singapur and Hongkong.  After initially reacting too slow, the public authorities have risen to the task. Very good. 

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

You're seriosly claiming Tiger King?  Fuck, man.  Not cool to go there.  I'm allowed a response....

If it makes you feel better, I passed out within five minutes of turning it on, so I didn't get my Tiger King fix either.

Oddly, the thing that makes my throat feel best: Modelo.

Eat it coronas of all kinds!!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

That smells like a racket! Some people are surely making a killing due to that broken process, and it is likely one of the many wasteful practices.

In my country health care actors are required by law to be frugal and efficient, so health care insurance companies and the various regulators overseeing the health care industry would have made short work of such a wilfully negligent health care provider. 

Healthcare in general is a racket. There is so much corruption in this industry, and I say that as someone who used to work in the fields of finance, banking and politics. Of the four, healthcare is absolutely the worst.

And I might be entering law next. I'm sure that's worse than the four combined.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Healthcare in general is a racket. There is so much corruption in this industry, and I say that as someone who used to work in the fields of finance, banking and politics. Of the four, healthcare is absolutely the worst.

And I might be entering law next. I'm sure that's worse than the four combined.

I am retired from a hospital. I have seen it all, working there and as a union exec there. A complete racket. 

I have just heard that last night one of my friends passed away (as a matter of fact a friend from another board). In his early forties, he left his wife and two kids. He had health issues, he was obese, so he was certainly in the risk group. Few days ago he got flu like symptoms, including high fever and complained he felt really bad. Just yesterday evening he posted a video of his kids of facebook, on which his heavy breath can be heard. Today he was supposed to go to the hospital just in case, and in the morning his kids found him dead. Noone performed any tests of course and the cause of death is unknown, but a certain educated guess seems obvious. Though we will probably never know for sure.

23 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I am retired from a hospital. I have seen it all, working there and as a union exec there. A complete racket. 

Who would have though that an industry that makes up 1/6th of our economy could be subjected to corruption?  

Archived