Will We Stand The Corona Test of Time? - Covid #7

Tywin Manderly

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Perhaps "dismissive" would have been a better term. I just don't think most people are really gaming this out all that well and it would be unwise to find yourself in a situation where something happens to your running water.

I think it's a bit funny that people were so dismissive of the points I was trying to make like ten days ago. I can't remember if it was this morning or yesterday morning, but a journalist we both like, Stephanie Ruhle, is starting to have those worries too. It was hilarious to see her ask a few questions to an expert, her face got a little screwed up and she was processing it and then just blurts out "so the supply lines might actually be vulnerable????"

I mean, i will still dismiss calls to panic and people tha said or say that the world is ending or that this is it for humans, etc.

I dont think that the people who "dissmised" you where taking this pandemic lightly, so dont talk like you where the sole voice of reason or that you knew something others didnt. 

Edi. Oh and i wasnt going to say anything, bit this is like the third time i see you saying shit like this. 

35 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Everything happens for a reason.

God works in mysterious ways.

Thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

I mean, i will still dismiss calls to panic and people tha said or say that the world is ending or that this is it for humans, etc.

I dont think that the people who "dissmised" you where taking this pandemic lightly, so dont talk like you where the sole voice of reason or that you knew something others didnt. 

Edi. Oh and i wasnt going to say anything, bit this is like the third time i see you saying shit like this. 

I never said the world was going to end. I present one of many hypotheticals and gamed it out accordingly. We’re still a long ways away from my worst fears, and there’s still only a small chance that it happens, but people are at least now becoming aware of the possibility.

I do think some people are starting to alter their behavior accordingly, but we’re still have a lot to do. Here’s an example that made me groan like I was Marge Simpson. I took my dog for a walk on my lunch break. Two guys in their 20’s were walking towards. When we got to be about 50 feet apart, they went into the street to avoid us. Great! But they were also standing a foot away from one another the entire time. BAD! I think they represent what a lot of people are doing. The raised awareness is not applied equally nor on the scale it needs, and there are still a ton of people who think this is a hoax.

Oh, and on that last point, Obama should have really spiked the football more. Thanks Obama….

:P

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I never said the world was going to end. I present one of many hypotheticals and gamed it out accordingly. We’re still a long ways away from my worst fears, and there’s still only a small chance that it happens, but people are at least now becoming aware of the possibility.

I do think some people are starting to alter their behavior accordingly, but we’re still have a lot to do. Here’s an example that made me groan like I was Marge Simpson. I took my dog for a walk on my lunch break. Two guys in their 20’s were walking towards. When we got to be about 50 feet apart, they went into the street to avoid us. Great! But they were also standing a foot away from one another the entire time. BAD! I think they represent what a lot of people are doing. The raised awareness is not applied equally nor on the scale it needs, and there are still a ton of people who think this is a hoax.

Oh, and on that last point, Obama should have really spiked the football more. Thanks Obama….

:P

If they're living together it doesn't matter at all.  

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Two guys in their 20’s were walking towards. When we got to be about 50 feet apart, they went into the street to avoid us. Great! But they were also standing a foot away from one another the entire time. BAD!

How do you know they aren't a couple? It's pretty hard to socially distance from someone you are sharing a bed with.

ETA: Larry stole my thunder!

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Yeah yesterday I was outside my apartment complex talking to my mom for awhile (it was her birthday), and a couple that lives on my floor were playing/running around with their 3-year-old daughter.  I definitely wasn't thinking "you idiots need to social distance!"

11 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

8 minutes ago, Paxter said:

How do you know they aren't a couple? It's pretty hard to socially distance from someone you are sharing a bed with.

ETA: Larry stole my thunder!

It's possible, but based on assumed age, attire, body language and location, I think the safe bet is they were off in the woods smoking pot. 

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah yesterday I was outside my apartment complex talking to my mom for awhile (it was her birthday), and a couple that lives on my floor were playing/running around with their 3-year-old daughter.  I definitely wasn't thinking "you idiots need to social distance!"

True, but it's situational.  I've been adamant about my gf and I only being intimate from 6+ ft away, although that predates the virus by several months.  Better safe than sorry!

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with almost all of this.  Some red states have absolutely made a good account for themselves.  Gov DeWine in Ohio has gotten a lot of credit for acting quickly to address the threat.  But I also think that the states that are dragging their feet the worst have almost entirely Republican governors, and in statements they've made, they almost always echo Trump's talking points about avoiding economic disruption and not seeing this as a huge problem yet. 

I have only limited evidence on whether that filters down the local/individual level.  But there are polls showing that Republicans are still not taking COVID as seriously as Democrats/independents (although that gap is closing since Trump finally did his reversal).  And the social distancing metric I linked to a couple days ago showed most of the states where people had reduced their travel the least were also "red" states, although that dataset isn't perfect, nor perfectly correlated. 

@Maithanet, I agree. I'm just defending my state. I know that most of our state is stupid rednecks that will always vote for Trump. Just, I know my state, did alot better than most. I agree with you, just defending my state. Though, most of the hillbilly, gun toting rednecks would just let it run its course and not worry about killing the elderly.

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

Did they have personals rolled?

Lol hopefully, but if they were passing a pipe back and forth they did the dumbest thing possible. 

With regards to avoiding your partner, the sad truth they're the most likely person to infect you. That is assuming you're still rather young. Being old and trapped in a loveless marriage has never been better.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

With regards to avoiding your partner, the sad truth they're the most likely person to infect you. That is assuming you're still rather young. Being old and trapped in a loveless marriage has never been better.

Yep, on top of the stress of just being a medical professional right now, my wife, who is definitely one of those people who plays out worst case scenarios in her mind all the time, constantly struggles with the idea of probably being the most likely to infect our family, even with all the steps she takes to decontaminate herself when she comes home.

Sometimes I think I should have just stuck with the cheerfully nihilistic life I was leading before I met her. She looked into my eyes the other night and she asked, "We're going to be okay, right?" I said yes in the most grave and earnest voice I could muster, but she's always been able to see right through me.

55 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yep, on top of the stress of just being a medical professional right now, my wife, who is definitely one of those people who plays out worst case scenarios in her mind all the time, constantly struggles with the idea of probably being the most likely to infect our family, even with all the steps she takes to decontaminate herself when she comes home.

Sometimes I think I should have just stuck with the cheerfully nihilistic life I was leading before I met her. She looked into my eyes the other night and she asked, "We're going to be okay, right?" I said yes in the most grave and earnest voice I could muster, but she's always been able to see right through me.

If we didn't understand it before, we do now certainly comprehend "in sickness and in health ... til death do us part" in each others' eyes.  I am one of the most fortunate of beings. Really.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Honestly I wish I knew what to tell you. On the one hand, even if she does get infected, my understanding is that your household is low risk, and you, her and Dante Jr could just ride it out at home for a few weeks and hope the current statistics are right. But on the other hand, without knowing her exact situation, I am being made so mad by seeing images of front line nurses wearing fucking garbage bags as shields and covering their mouths with bandannas. That shit isn't going to do enough, and the fact that people in charge think it's acceptable is absurd. 

Regarding the last part of your post, the only thing I can say is it's time to find your acting range, because you're the one who will need to do the most to keep her moral high.

Stay strong brotha. 

I see the USA now has the most confirmed cases in the world for an individual country. Italy I imagine is still the leader on a per-capita basis. But USA being #1 in absolute number of cases is not a nice place to be. 

We were lucky to be behind the curve in terms of spread and put in place strict social isolation measures when our case numbers were in the 1:64,000 range with very limited evidence of community spread. It's a pity most countries in Europe and the USA (and probably Canada and Australia too) were caught a wee bit by surprise and already well into a community spread situation before significant social isolation measures were put in place.

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I see the USA now has the most confirmed cases in the world for an individual country. Italy I imagine is still the leader on a per-capita basis. But USA being #1 in absolute number of cases is not a nice place to be. 

We were lucky to be behind the curve in terms of spread and put in place strict social isolation measures when our case numbers were in the 1:64,000 range with very limited evidence of community spread. It's a pity most countries in Europe and the USA (and probably Canada and Australia too) were caught a wee bit by surprise and already well into a community spread situation before significant social isolation measures were put in place.

Out of curiosity, when is peak tourist season for you guys?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Out of curiosity, when is peak tourist season for you guys?

Kind of just coming to an end. I think Feb and March are probably the biggest tourism months. China is a huge source of tourists for us so the tourism sector has been operating on significantly reduced numbers since January. And of course earlier in March we closed our borders to all non-citizen / permanent resident arrivals so tourism ground to a total halt a few weeks back.

The one upside to having a lot of confirmed cases is that once all those people with mild illness clear their infection their blood plasma can be used as an anti-serum to treat the critically ill, which will hopefully mean that at some point this year there should be enough blood donations from recovered patients to really drop the death rate and length of stay in hospital for those with severe disease.

If you know anyone who's had the disease and is now over it, encourage them to see about getting on an anti-serum donor list.

Anti-serum supplies will always only be limited so would need to be reserved for the severest cases, but it will be a useful weapon in the arsenal.

Archived