Will We Stand The Corona Test of Time? - Covid #7

Tywin Manderly

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Based on this response I suspect you didn't actually watch the announcement regarding the antibody test

There will be no reliable antibody test before May. You can quote me on this. 

3 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Enlighten me. 

They were very cautious about giving any exact date and repeatedly stated that the reliability of these tests needed to be verified before they could be rolled out, and they would rather be thorough and release none, than over hasty and release unreliable tests. 

I'm no fan of Boris but let's not go borrowing trouble unnecessarily. 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

They were very cautious about giving any exact date and repeatedly stated that the reliability of these tests needed to be verified before they could be rolled out, and they would rather be thorough and release none, than over hasty and release unreliable tests. 

I'm no fan of Boris but let's not go borrowing trouble unnecessarily. 

I was referring to the initial statements made by BJ. I have full trust in the integrity of the British scientific community. That is for sure. But I have no trust in people who so blatantly lied about everything concerning the EU and Brexit. Who played on xenophobia, jingoism, fears. Those people have no credibility left in my eyes IMO. BJ strikes me as quite the amoral man, driven by maximum self-interests. With Trump, it’s blatantly obvious. He is a dumb clown. BJ on the other hand is a very intelligent man. More dangerous. But the UK still has a strong, influential press (Guardian etc) who will call out BS. 
We are rich countries, the UK, the US, Germany. Just a matter of who pays the bills. When some people talk about „the economy“, they actually talk about their self-interests. The same everywhere. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What if Trump gets it? 

We hope he recovers safely too. 

I have no thorough knowledge about either Donald Trump or Boris Johnson as leaders, politicians, all my impressions come from international media (and probably not the reliable kind) and social media and thus they are probably pretty inaccurate and biased. Still, I believe that no lack of skill, political agenda, manipulative intention, etc is reason enough to not wish for a person’s good health and safe recovery at a time like this. 

So I'm back from my shopping trip. Yes, my mother has been yelling at me the entire time while I was changing my clothes to go outside, yes she attempted to show me the cold shoulder upon my return and yes, I then got reprimanded for failing to get soap and sanitizer (as if that's possible to be found anywhere at this point).

But enough about my home situation, going out after 11 days of staying at home is already a strange experience. For a Friday noon the streets were surprisingly full, mostly of old people, which... I really don't get at all. It immediately made me feel foolish for thinking that everyone is inside waiting this thing out like me. I decided halfway through that I should head for the biggest supermarket in town to make a shot at getting everything in one go. In fact I got enough milk for the next month, kitchen rolls were back again, canned food was still there (though I didn't go for it this time), there was still a surprising amount of cheap pasta, just the expensive one was gone. Meat and cheese was still abundant. I got a lot of bread, but whole-grain ready-to-bake bread was gone. Toilet paper and paper tissues were still gone. Flour and bread baking mixture as well. And my biggest surprise: Cookies and crisps were entirely gone. All of it. I wonder whether this is for the much-told-about Corona parties or whether the people suffering from cabin fever have switched to sustaining from junk food. Good thing for me they haven't noticed the discount on frozen pizza yet.

However inside the supermarket itself the epidemic has been real again. There were lots of safety features for the staff like plexiglas screens and mandatory distance at the deposit counter, as well as hired staff that was paying attention that people don't stay too closely together at the check-out. Amusingly they have marked a safety distance around the fresh meat aisle and shout down everyone who accidentally steps inside, I can't imagine they have been selling anything there this week. Unfortunately between the shelves the people are stuck as closely together as always. Even moreso, I assume, given that I can't imagine it ever being that full on a Friday noon.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What if Trump gets it? 

If you think that their beloved President dying of (this what their propaganda could easily turn into, not my belief) a virus that was manufactured in China to hurt America can end anywhere that isn't terrible, then you're more optimistic than me. A large slice of them have convinced themselves he's the most Christlike man to have ever lived, they aren't exactly checking in with reality.

33 minutes ago, john said:

Speak of the devil ... and he contracts a virulent disease apparently. Get well soon, I guess, he’s got business to attend to.

30 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Like with everyone who contracts the virus, I would like to see him get well soon. 

24 minutes ago, Arakan said:

I support this message. May he get well soon but may he also learn humbleness. 

17 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Not a big fan of Boris but nevertheless I hope he has a speedy and full recovery just like anyone else who gets this virus.

All of you have an underdeveloped doroslateral prefrontal cortex. Consult a neurologist.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

All of you have an underdeveloped doroslateral prefrontal cortex. Consult a neurologist.

Yeah, I'm not going to be wishing for the good health of people who stand up and lead the charge for bringing back tactics and policies that we thought we had buried along with a lot of people that gave their lives to stop them back in the 20th century.

My only concern is for the risk that their dying in this manner results in an even worse outcome.

I hope Boris recovers and learns something from this and about the seriousness of it.

I hope he doesn't die from it. And I hope that, if he does recover, he doesn't use it as an excuse to spruik conspiracy theories that "it's just the flu, nothing to worry about, see?".

13 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Maybe just a sense of integrity. It’s easy to say we have to take it on the chin when you can expect the best medical treatment there is in the world if you are affected. No triage for BJ. 

It’s the same with sending people into war, when one oneself never has to fight or dodged the fight (GWB, DT). Very easy to make such decisions  when one oneself will not face the same consequences. 

2 minutes ago, Arakan said:

It’s the same with sending people into war, when one oneself never has to fight or dodged the fight (GWB, DT). Very easy to make such decisions  when one oneself will not face the same consequences. 

Yep. The Aces of Chickenhawks.

Archived