Hoarding

Martell Spy

Was going to make this thread about TP, but I'll widen it out. Are you hoarding? Do you know someone is hoarding? Any tips for scoring needed supplies?

I don't think I'm a hoarder. I'm becoming something close to one about certain supplies though. Just hit Walmart at 820 am. It was a good call. I scored a 12 pack of good quality TP. I heard some woman in that same aisle I had just visited complaining about them being out as I was doing some other shopping. I left the store feeling I might get confronted or attacked, like one of those scenes where people brawl over toys at Christmas sales.

I got a similar score a couple weeks ago by sure luck, perhaps because the crisis had just begun. 

I do not hoard at all since I live in a country where hoarding is totally unnessary. It has some of the best logistics and infrastructure in the world.  We are a major food exporter that annually produces enough food to feed our population for ten years. And the same goes for other groceries.

the etymology tells the story:

Old English hord "a treasure, valuable stock or store, an accumulation of something for preservation or future use," hence "any mass of things preserved by being deposited together," from Proto-Germanic *huzdam (source also of Old Saxon hord "treasure, hidden or inmost place," Old Norse hodd, German Hort, Gothic huzd "treasure," literally "hidden treasure"), from PIE root *(s)keu- "to cover, conceal."

that said, and consistent with the aspiration to replace metaphorical germanic terms with more precise greco-latinic nomenclature wherever possible, the practice might more readily be described as production of an unreasonable and unconcealed quantity without regard for quality, either for the purpose speculative pseudo-arbitrage (pure exchange value) or pre-apocalyptic biopolitical management (pure use value)--either way therefore objectively unreasonable, even if subjectively reasonable from the individuated perspective of a solitary market participant).

that said, i am procuring an unreasonable quantity of frou frou teas and coffees.

3 minutes ago, sologdin said:

that said, i am procuring an unreasonable quantity of frou frou teas and coffees.

Which I presume you'll be serving upon Cappie Eradication Day. Brilliant!

I, for one, welcome my new hammer-and-sickle-bearing overlord.

I have an absurd amount of nappies, I ordered my monthly supply online but they were delayed, so I found some and bought 2 packs, then the bulk delivery turned up. 

I also have a but if a hoarding tendency anyway so I was well stocked when the shit hit the fan meaning I only needed essentials. 

I bought an entire pallet of mortar last week because I was concerned about them closing down building supply stores.  Only maybe 20% of my work is deemed essential, like today I finished rebuilding a chimney that was leaking oil exhaust into an attic space, but now I'm set on mortar for awhile and can probabaly improvise or order shit online if necessary if I have any other work needs.

Definitely have not hoarded any food or toilet paper or bleach or cleaning / sanitizing stuff.    In this household we are now firmly on the "bidet when possible in lieu of TP" approach to hygiene. 

My weed supplies are slightly concerning, down to about two weeks of edibles.  Dug into the strategic reserves of psilocybin over the weekend.  Taking this as an opportunity to go off the alcohol for awhile, the gf is well stocked in that department anyway.  

Have been hoarding books and tools for the last 20 years, have about 400 unread novels and tons of nonfiction.  So should be set for a few years if need be there without having to reread anything 

It's kind of funny, about 10-12 years ago I was kind of into 'prepping' and had a few thousand rounds of ammo and a few rifles and a bunch of food and drugs and squirrelled away.  Do not regret letting this stuff go at all.

Have sort of hoarded dog food, but it was accidental; I'd just bought a 40 lb bag and the gf got one the same day, so now the dogs are set for 6-7 weeks.  

27 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I'm hoarding condoms.

Running out of that supply could be very expensive

Kid of defeats the purpose of physical distancing.

Also, aren’t you British? My limited understanding of you people from the Austin Powers movies leads me to believe you have no need for some jimmies.

I don't know if I'm hoarding, or if I just have a fully stocked pantry for the first time in my life. I've definitely stocked up a lot on shelf-stable and frozen food though. But I think its only prudent right now. Where I am, without a car and not wanting to use a ride share right now, my only realistic option for food is a delivery service (I've been using Amazon Whole Foods). However, those delivery times disappear fast (I have to order at 12:01AM to lock in a delivery two days in the future) and items regularly aren't available. I probably don't need two months worth of food (about a month of regular food; then a whole lot of rice in various sauces plus breakfast bars and dried fruit), but I feel much safer with it.

I didn't hoard TP, but I didn't need to. I always buy the 16-pack "mega rolls", which lasts me for months at a time. I did buy a pack a few weeks ago, when I was still only halfway through my current pack; but I don't really consider that hoarding. I was going to need the pack soon enough anyway.

I already had a box of latex gloves (a relic of when I pretended to care about trying to keep sanitary when cleaning my cat's litter box), and I don't have any masks. The only hand sanitizer I have is a little freebie I rediscovered last week; which I think I got about a year ago from the oral surgeon who pulled one of my wisdom teeth.

Already got a ton of unplayed video games (and Steam is there as long as the internet holds) and a bunch of unread books.

The one thing I maybe am hoarding is my cat's food. However, its prescription food and I got an email from the vet's office saying that they were temporarily running low and that if people were concerned they should order more now. So I stocked up more on that. He had a terrible UTI about 18 months ago, and I desperately don't want him to go through that again.

TP situation here in NJ is becoming annoying, haven't been able to get any in the past 2 weeks(although I've only gone out twice in the past 2 weeks).  We're getting down to the last few rolls so I'm gonna have to venture out, just can't seem to catch the store when they have it in stock.......also annoying, frozen chicken nuggets for my son have been impossible to find, I'm just imagining people in NJ using up massive amounts of TP after all the frozen chicken nuggets they eat

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How do people prep for 5 years of food? Rough calculations would cost me and my family £35,000 minimum. 

I think the people who do that start buying food buckets. At $100/person for 30 days of food, you're looking at $1,200 a year. Five years gets you to $6,000. So a family of three is $18,000 for five years. Still a lot. But 15,300 pounds is a lot better than 35,000 pounds. Granted, you'll probably want to kill yourself far before then, eating those meals for that long. But that's probably the more affordable way.

The really hardcore preppers though start investing in renewable food sources though. There was an interview with an Ohio prepper recently. He had eight months of food in his house. (plus ham radios and all that kind of stuff). But the long term plan was that he and a few other preppers co-owned a farm at some isolated, non-disclosed location that they could all retreat to if necessary. 

10 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

.also annoying, frozen chicken nuggets for my son have been impossible to find, I'm just imagining people in NJ using up massive amounts of TP after all the frozen chicken nuggets they eat 

No. They deepfry the TP, and use the nuggets for personal hygiene.

Archived