Hoarding

Martell Spy

I think I saw myself as kind of a hoarder before this happened lol. I typically buy bulk packs of stuff (such as toilet paper) I use regularly to be more economical. I will have one pack until that pack is getting low.

I also hang on to many varying items (edible and inedible alike) for some reason or another, until they break or expire. I guess I don't know that I'd say I hoard in that I don't accumulate much more than needed. I just don't tend to be quick to throw out whatever does come into my space, so more of packrat.

11 minutes ago, sologdin said:

food buckets by r. scott bakker. from now until the end, we consume the flesh of the overcome seasoned with the ashes of ancestors.

There's absolutely a pun-y comparison of R. Scott Bakker, misogynist author, to Jim Bakker, disgraced televangelist who sells food buckets and is currently being sued by the state of Missouri for fraud for claiming to sell a coronavirus cure.

However, I stopped reading after the second Prince of Nothing book, so I don't know what the good references are. I seem to remember something about black tar-colored cum, but that's about it.

49 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

TP situation here in NJ is becoming annoying, haven't been able to get any in the past 2 weeks(although I've only gone out twice in the past 2 weeks).  We're getting down to the last few rolls so I'm gonna have to venture out, just can't seem to catch the store when they have it in stock.......also annoying, frozen chicken nuggets for my son have been impossible to find, I'm just imagining people in NJ using up massive amounts of TP after all the frozen chicken nuggets they eat

Venmo me $15 and I'll send you a roll. 

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No. They deepfry the TP, and use the nuggets for personal hygiene.

You Germans are even kinkier than I thought. 

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

surviving in lockdown for long periods

hoard guns; eat trespassers?

The behavioural blueprint has already been laid down through zombie tv shows, I guess: the zombies shuffle along in blissful ignorance while the survivors run around them busily killing each other. Digitally remove the zombies and you get the next three months.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

What can Isay. I know have to wait for the unmasking of the next singer.

FWIW.

Goddess = Cosma Shiva Hagen

You heard it here first.

Nevermind. Wrong guess.

Wait, you watch that trash? Also, are you watching the US version or a German one?

Regular shopping at Costco basically is like hoarding. 

We added some dry pasta, jars of pasta sauce, and tins of pinto beans to each grocery trip over a couple of weeks, so now we have almost a week’s supply of non-perishable food if needed.  In case my wife’s usual pattern of food shopping 3-4 times a week isn’t sustainable at some point. 

Our son has all the extra food stored in his bedroom*, and I think he checks on it each night for reassurance. 

*we’re still in a temporary apartment for a few more weeks, so we don’t have a large pantry or additional freezer space. 

21 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Regular shopping at Costco basically is like hoarding. 

We added some dry pasta, jars of pasta sauce, and tins of pinto beans to each grocery trip over a couple of weeks, so now we have almost a week’s supply of non-perishable food if needed.  In case my wife’s usual pattern of food shopping 3-4 times a week isn’t sustainable at some point. 

Our son has all the extra food stored in his bedroom*, and I think he checks on it each night for reassurance. 

*we’re still in a temporary apartment for a few more weeks, so we don’t have a large pantry or additional freezer space. 

All things considered, would you rather be in Chicago or Connecticut right now? 

I've always been the sort to keep a pretty stocked refrigerator and pantry.  And I've always bought TP and tissues in bulk.  About 3 weeks ago before anything got official around here I did go out to the store and top everything off to make sure I had 2 months worth of things. Those were the normal items for me but then I also panicked stocked up on bulk treats from amazon - items I never normally purchase but have long shelf life and thought might sound good. (So far I am very thankful for the 5 lb bag of Jolly Ranchers I purchased!) I also went and topped off my medicine cabinet with 4 months supply of anything I might need that I can have control over medically, including months ahead of prescriptions.

My mom has been in the hospital since January and just got out last week and I stocked up on absolutely every medical and personal care item I could think she might need.  I live in an apartment and currently I have boxes stacked up in my corners with items for her.

Honestly living in the heart of a city I just had no idea what things would / will be like. It isn't anything any of us here have an experience with to judge. Would the shelves be empty? Would supplies stop coming? I have found that the grocery stores we normally frequent were pretty emptied of things in the past week. But then we ventured to another part of the city and the shelves were pretty full of everything except TP and hand sanitizer.  So now I feel a bit better about things.  But am still glad I have stocked supplies in case. These are items I'll use eventually no matter what.

I've definitely increased my "hoard" in the last few weeks.  I've filled my freezer with frozen meals (nobody was buying them anyway) and frozen vegies, and I have a big bag of rice and some pasta/noodles.  Some canned veg as well, and a roast beef stuck in the freezer.  

I plan to just leave that all untouched and keep buying fresh (mostly) food and cooking that.  So in a sense it is a hoard, or a safety net.  

14 hours ago, sologdin said:

food buckets by r. scott bakker. from now until the end, we consume the flesh of the overcome seasoned with the ashes of ancestors.

So now eating from the hoard becomes eating the horde. 

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All things considered, would you rather be in Chicago or Connecticut right now? 

The CT town we’re in has turned out to be a mini hotspot for coronavirus.  But I think Chicago would still have been a greater risk with so many more people at the grocery stores, plus our condo building had a lot of doctors from Northwestern. 

About 3 weeks before the Great TP Run, I made a few extra buys at BJs.  Got my usual 36 pack of TP when I still had about 8 rolls left at home.  Got a two pound bag of coffee beans instead of something smaller, a few extra pounds of frozen salmon, etc.

When I do go to the liquor store, I've been basically doing my normal buy plus a box of wine. 

My father-in-law has hoarded toilet paper for years, up to 200 rolls in the attic. His wife would show it to visiting friends who would laugh at him.

He mentioned this the other day, commenting, “Who’s laughing now?”

12 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

My father-in-law has hoarded toilet paper for years, up to 200 rolls in the attic. His wife would show it to visiting friends who would laugh at him.

He mentioned this the other day, commenting, “Who’s laughing now?”

When this is all over high fashion is going to be shoes with gorgeous luxuriant trains of tp stuck to then as a sign of wisdom, foresight, and wealth.  Without a good 2 meters trailing each foot you'll be hard pressed to find a job, let alone a date.  

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I haven't actually bothered to go myself yet but apparently all the shops near me are basically fine now. I think all the people inclined to panic buy have run out of steam.

I'm in tesco tight now and they have everything. Only different cells is them limiting how many people in store at a time. 

I think there is a difference between panic buying/hoarding and stocking up.  The lesson is that we should all have adequate supplies in case of emergency so we aren't in this kind of situation.  I have been slowly stocking up on canned and dried goods.  By that I mean I getting one or two extra of something each visit.   The objective is to reduce the number of visits.

However, tomorrow I will be purchasing from the most needed items list for my local food bank.  I'm going for meal replacements; Boost, Ensure and the diabetic supplement.  I'll take as much as they will allow and my pocketbook can afford.  No doubt I'll be challenged by someone.

Archived