Westworld IX; 03.22.20 Divergence - Westeros.org

HexMachina

Do carry on, darlings.

I loved this episode. And i didn’t realise how much i wanted Sizemore back until he actually appeared (even if he was fake Sizemore).

didnt even realise this was D&D’s cameo episode until i saw Ran mention it in the watching thread.

Eta: also, want to take a moment to appreciate Luke Hemsworth glitching. So well done

I'm definitely more interested in the Dolores story at the moment and impatient to see where things are going between her and Aaron Paul's character. I'm hoping that he's going to be something like a damaged real person that lets her find some common ground with some humans even as she's fighting those in power. So I was a little frustrated by their absence this episode, but still enjoyed it.

Loved her exploit of "the square root of minus 1" to over tax the simulation and crash it, along with the excessive physics calculations with all the extra gunfire and traitor revelations the fake Nazis weren't programmed to cope with. It's reminding me of the good place season 2 and how the status quo reset could have ruined it, but it rushed straight past it onto other stories so it worked. Having Maeve need to break herself out of another park isn't where this needed to go.

I mean, we're all clear that "warworld" was within a simulation designed by the red herring bad guy from Ocean's 12 right?  Therefore it's not necessarily part of the physical "Westworld" park as we know it, and neither is Westeros world, however fun that was for everybody involved.  One complaint I've seen that's hard to argue with - the ease with which Bernard got back, and then left.  Like, I suppose ultimately Dolores is running it at this point, but you'd expect some type of security.  And how long was Stubbs sitting there?  Meh, I'm thinking rationally too much.

Yeah my assumption coming out of this episode was that "warworld" isn't actually a park, just a plausible alternative they came up with for the simulation. I think the idea with the park is that its massively understaffed at the moment while corporate is still fighting over what to do with it. With no guests around, the rebellious hosts gone (and getting away was their plan, they're not expected to come back), remaining hosts all recalled into cold storage and a skeleton staff guarding the complex they wouldn't feel any need to have perimeter security or anything.

I also assumed Stubbs had been there for weeks if not months, and even if the guy hadn't spotted Bernard that act wouldn't have lasted long as he would have been all "where the fuck have you been?"

7 hours ago, DMC said:

I mean, we're all clear that "warworld" was within a simulation designed by the red herring bad guy from Ocean's 12 right?  Therefore it's not necessarily part of the physical "Westworld" park as we know it, and neither is Westeros world, however fun that was for everybody involved.  One complaint I've seen that's hard to argue with - the ease with which Bernard got back, and then left.  Like, I suppose ultimately Dolores is running it at this point, but you'd expect some type of security.  And how long was Stubbs sitting there?  Meh, I'm thinking rationally too much.

Agree with your first point but there is also nothing to say the simulation of War World isn't based on one of the actual parks. 

Same with Westeros World/Medieval world. I could imagine this one being an actual park tbh. 

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

there is also nothing to say the simulation of War World isn't based on one of the actual parks. 

Same with Westeros World/Medieval world. I could imagine this one being an actual park tbh. 

Sure, just saying when you read Joy and Nolan's explanation of the D&D cameo, it's pretty clear it's not something they took that seriously in terms of the worldbuilding of the show.  Sounds like whether or not those worlds actually exist within the show is up to the viewer's imagination or interpretation.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sure, just saying when you read Joy and Nolan's explanation of the D&D cameo, it's pretty clear it's not something they took that seriously in terms of the worldbuilding of the show.  Sounds like whether or not those worlds actually exist within the show is up to the viewer's imagination or interpretation.

Yeah, I agree with this too, we can't know for certain either way. Though the idea of "Medieval World" was also based on the other hosts they saw who were dressed in Medieval-ish styled clothing, rather than just the D&D cameo

19 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Though the idea of "Medieval World" was also based on the other hosts they saw who were dressed in Medieval-ish styled clothing, rather than just the D&D cameo

Yeah in my headcanon there's definitely an actual Medieval world, just like Crichton's.  One thing I wanna mention though, maybe I need to rewatch it, but I swear when they were quickly depicting the different hosts for Medieval world right before the D&D cameo there was one shot of a group that looked like hipsters..or maybe gypsies?  It seemed weird, I dunno I gotta go check it out again.  Luckily I got time on my hands - thanks corona!

ETA:  Watching it again, the D&D cameo is with Bernard and Stubbs, so if you believe they're not in a simulation then that means Westeros world is an actual park.  My bad, got that confused.

6 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I wonder if Sizemore is actually still alive- his name was on the opening credits, but Rodrigo Santoro's wasn't.

That's probably why his name was there. It's his last appearance.

I wasn't feeling that enthusiastic about the show at this point but thought 'give it a go anyway' and have been pleasantly surprised by the first two episodes. If it can stay at this level of plot and engagement I'll be happy. I mean, if it gets better that would also be nice.

I have taken to responding with *UNSUBSCRIBE* whenever anyone I know posts stuff I disagree with or find distasteful.

5 hours ago, Isis said:

I have taken to responding with *UNSUBSCRIBE* whenever anyone I know posts stuff I disagree with or find distasteful.

A sound strategy! You should tailor that to the topic in question though. This thread for example could be "Doesn't look like anything to me."

49 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A sound strategy! You should tailor that to the topic in question though. This thread for example could be "Doesn't look like anything to me."

One of the tragic aspects of WW not having a big enough audience is that  'doesn't look like anything to me'  will never be a thing.  Waiting two years was a mistake, although I suppose w/everyone at home the show, if its good this year, which I doubt, could increase ratings. 

Rewatched the first two seasons and I'm glad I did, the second seemed a lot more coherent the second time around, binged. 

like one thing I would have totally forgotten is that this current Bernard is not the Bernard of seasons one and two.  He doesn't have any of those memories. Dolores totally re-built him from her memories just like Ford had her build the original Bernard. 

Also I've seen you guys talk about how so and so could be Teddy, Clem, Angela etc. I'm pretty sure those three are dead dead. As the backups were destroyed by Angela (in that stupid season two scene where the armed guard lets his guard down because she is attractive.) and Clem was lobotomized and Teddy killed himself. 

Anyway time to start the new season. 

58 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Rewatched the first two seasons and I'm glad I did, the second seemed a lot more coherent the second time around, binged. 

like one thing I would have totally forgotten is that this current Bernard is not the Bernard of seasons one and two.  He doesn't have any of those memories. Dolores totally re-built him from her memories just like Ford had her build the original Bernard. 

Also I've seen you guys talk about how so and so could be Teddy, Clem, Angela etc. I'm pretty sure those three are dead dead. As the backups were destroyed by Angela (in that stupid season two scene where the armed guard lets his guard down because she is attractive.) and Clem was lobotomized and Teddy killed himself. 

Anyway time to start the new season. 

My guess has been that Charlotte's body is being used by Angela, but I may have forgotten if her pearl was destroyed.  Teddy I assume is still in the VR world, and I think Clem is dead dead.  

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

My guess has been that Charlotte's body is being used by Angela, but I may have forgotten if her pearl was destroyed.  Teddy I assume is still in the VR world, and I think Clem is dead dead.  

Teddy’s brains got blown out, he didnt make it to the VR world

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He did, we saw him.  She took his pearl and she sent him to the VR as the last person who made it there.  

Ah, forgot that part, didn’t get time to rewatch season two.

Archived