Westworld IX; 03.22.20 Divergence - Westeros.org

HexMachina

14 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, Dolores-Connels gained access by using Dempsey Jr.  Why Serac still allowed Dempsey access after making him simply a figurehead CEO is equally questionable whether Serac is a human or AI.

Yes.  Zuckerberg  Dempsey I thought had even said in one of the earlier eps that he no longer has full access to the system, or maybe I dreamed that, but the plot seems to be pretty light on how things fit together.  

For what it's worth, Liam did say his code was useless to her unless she had direct access to the Incite offices and could be in two places at once. He didn't expect her to be able to get access even with his code. 

As far as we can tell his access was read only. The access he wasn't given is the ability to change the system in any way, or presumably to use the information to steer the future (which is enforced by the threat of being killed if he steps out of line). 

You might think it reckless to still allow him access that could be used in this way, but Serac has confidence in Rehoboam and Rehoboam said there was a 0% chance of him abusing his read only access then you let your figure head play his part.

This show has definitely won me back over and it's entirely down to being about more than the park and twisty twistiness.

Evan Rachel wood is killing it as this era's trinity and the delores character works so much better for me now. I think the problem with her in the park was that her revolution still felt like play acting whereas everything about the character feels more real in the real world.

I liked the hint that caleb is an outlier based on serrac mentioning how the AI filters out outliers by sending them to war and generally maximizing their chances of dying. I wonder if Delores knew this all along and has selected him because she knows the AI can't actually predict his actions/behaviour? It means his predicted future was more a conditioned one than usual.

Just now, Martini Sigil said:

It's almost like watching a different show this season... but digging it hard regardless... 

It's like if The Dark Knight trilogy (really the latter two) came alive and wrote itself a season of sci-fi television. I actually waited through the credits to see if Wally Pfister was the director or cinematographer, but sadly not.

So I took a screenshot from episode 3 during the scene when Dolores-Charlotte host was activated on the mainland. I found it curious Bernard would have a section in his code that was locked. I'm inclined to think Ford is still around, piggybacking in Bernard's head without him knowing and created a false memory of his deletion, just waiting for the right moment. But if that is the case, what would be his motive? Replace Rehoboam as the author of humanity? Make the rest of the world the new park? That'd be my crackpot theory. That and everyone are various forms of hosts. :O

We still have one more host pearl yet to be revealed (was it inside the motorbikes?). Musashi is an interesting choice since Dolores never had any interaction with him in season 2, which might suggest Maeve is not in the same world as Dolores+/Caleb/Bernard/Stubbs/William (though her powers being a big giveaway). I think she's still in a simulation by Rehoboam/Serac, designed to figure out what choices she'll make to save or fight Dolores.  I would not be surprised if this season has been multiple simulations running at the same time and we have yet to see the outside world. We also don't know where Dolores uploaded the guest data yet as well.

I was wrong on Serac's brother being Ford (both are similar age) but I've seen the idea floating around that it might be Caleb? (unlikely but still possible)

16 minutes ago, Sharpes said:

So I took a screenshot from episode 3 during the scene when Dolores-Charlotte host was activated on the mainland. I found it curious Bernard would have a section in his code that was locked. I'm inclined to think Ford is still around, piggybacking in Bernard's head without him knowing and created a false memory of his deletion, just waiting for the right moment. But if that is the case, what would be his motive? Replace Rehoboam as the author of humanity? Make the rest of the world the new park? That'd be my crackpot theory. That and everyone are various forms of hosts. :O

We still have one more host pearl yet to be revealed (was it inside the motorbikes?). Musashi is an interesting choice since Dolores never had any interaction with him in season 2, which might suggest Maeve is not in the same world as Dolores+/Caleb/Bernard/Stubbs/William (though her powers being a big giveaway). I think she's still in a simulation by Rehoboam/Serac, designed to figure out what choices she'll make to save or fight Dolores.  I would not be surprised if this season has been multiple simulations running at the same time and we have yet to see the outside world. We also don't know where Dolores uploaded the guest data yet as well.

I was wrong on Serac's brother being Ford (both are similar age) but I've seen the idea floating around that it might be Caleb? (unlikely but still possible)

Ford's consciousness shouldn't be able to survive in a host body for any length of time, because William's project never worked. Seeing insane host Ford could have been fun though. 

I know politics hasn't played a big role in the show, but you'd think she would have used the last pearl to replace a world leader. 

Loved the group therapy session, hilarious.

Maeve's powers have gone beyond techno and are approaching wizard/god levels, which is a little much.

I don't like that Dolores/Hale is the weak link, Hale was a super predator stone cold amoral killer, why then should a Hale/Dolores combo be more sensitive and feely than original Hale?

I assume Serac wants to destroy the hosts because they are a huge threat to either humanity or the AI, it seems odd though, I would think he would want more of a borg type thing where the hosts are integrated and then controlled.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't like that Dolores/Hale is the weak link, Hale was a super predator stone cold amoral killer, why then should a Hale/Dolores combo be more sensitive and feely than original Hale?

There is no real Hale in Haleores. She's a version of Dolores who read Hale's brain scan "book" 

The kid is what makes her diverge. Dolores never had that kinda relationship before. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

There is no real Hale in Haleores. She's a version of Dolores who read Hale's brain scan "book" 

The kid is what makes her diverge. Dolores never had that kinda relationship before. 

She had her parents who she loved and Teddy and her original program was that of a caring/nurturing/loving person.  So I think its weird.  If anything, a Hale/Dolores combo should be more stone cold than Dolores, not going flaky and soft, self harming and crying, but creating her own agenda, although newHale will probably double cross Dolores, but it strikes an off note for me.  

Agree, that Bernard showing up was not the best, but the plotting is more sloppy this year. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I really liked the episode, but Williams being found by Bernard out of the blue was way too convenient.

Bernard and Stubbs heading to Serac's facility was set up last episode.  Dolores-Connells basically told them to go there. 

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Bernard and Stubbs heading to Serac's facility was set up last episode.  Dolores-Connells basically told them to go there. 

This. And there was a scene in this episode where Hale said it was good they put the tracker in him (William) and sent the coordinates to someone. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Maeve's powers have gone beyond techno and are approaching wizard/god levels, which is a little much.

Maeve was mostly in a simulation this episode and knew it from the get-go.  Of course she has god-like powers there.  The interesting thing will be how she utilizes her Superman/Skynet abilities controlling all electronics in a certain vicinity when she confronts Dolores and AVENGES HECTOR!

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

She had her parents who she loved and Teddy and her original program was that of a caring/nurturing/loving person.  So I think its weird.  If anything, a Hale/Dolores combo should be more stone cold than Dolores, not going flaky and soft, self harming and crying, but creating her own agenda, although newHale will probably double cross Dolores, but it strikes an off note for me.  

Agree, that Bernard showing up was not the best, but the plotting is more sloppy this year. 

Yeah, the way Dolores-Hale was behaving struck me as odd. I would say that when you put a host's 'brain' inside a body not of their own, you get complications, they start having identity crises etc. The current technology Delos Inc. has might allow for hosts to copy themselves but not without unintended consequences just not in the degradation we saw happen with human-to-machine bodies like James Delos. We don't know (yet) if the original Delores had issues when she was in Charlotte-Hale escaping Westworld at end of S2 until she printed her original body back by S3 opening. Conells-Dolores didn't show behavioural changes either but then maybe it takes time for those divergences to manifest since Charlotte-Delores existed longer. So far, Bernard is the only host that hasn't had issues since Delores diverged his personality to be different from Arnold Weber as he's had the same body throughout the show.

This was probably my favourite episode of the whole show thus far. Loved the group therapy and Delos quipping "William, please don't interrupt. It's not all about you, you know." :P

Interesting fact: Charlotte's husband, Jake, is played by Michael Ealy, who also played a police officer android in Almost Human, attempting to be more human.

6 hours ago, Sharpes said:

Yeah, the way Dolores-Hale was behaving struck me as odd. I would say that when you put a host's 'brain' inside a body not of their own, you get complications, they start having identity crises etc. The current technology Delos Inc. has might allow for hosts to copy themselves but not without unintended consequences just not in the degradation we saw happen with human-to-machine bodies like James Delos. We don't know (yet) if the original Delores had issues when she was in Charlotte-Hale escaping Westworld at end of S2 until she printed her original body back by S3 opening. Conells-Dolores didn't show behavioural changes either but then maybe it takes time for those divergences to manifest since Charlotte-Delores existed longer. So far, Bernard is the only host that hasn't had issues since Delores diverged his personality to be different from Arnold Weber as he's had the same body throughout the show.

This was probably my favourite episode of the whole show thus far. Loved the group therapy and Delos quipping "William, please don't interrupt. It's not all about you, you know." :P

Interesting fact: Charlotte's husband, Jake, is played by Michael Ealy, who also played a police officer android in Almost Human, attempting to be more human.

Michael Brown/Michael Ealy is probably the coolest cameo i saw in the series. Outside of Beast Mode. And i think its set in stone that Hale will cross Delores. Because she left Hale to die with the family. And she told Delores she wonder why she left emotions in the coding, but tell her to not care for her "family". Then she ended up witnessing them dying.

My wife said last night "with all the technology this show has, you tell me that a car cant notify you that it has been tampered with?"

The pacing this seasons is a little weird to me, but I guess it shows that people really do want crash, boom, bam, since this season is being so much better reviewed than last season, which will it admittedly was uneven and pointlessly confusing......I would still say the highs of last year far surpass anything in season 3.  

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

The pacing this seasons is a little weird to me, but I guess it shows that people really do want crash, boom, bam, since this season is being so much better reviewed than last season, which will it admittedly was uneven and pointlessly confusing......I would still say the highs of last year far surpass anything in season 3.  

Even though I’m digging this season more than S2 overall, I would somewhat agree with that. No S3 episode has surpassed Kiksuya for me yet anyway. 

Archived