Westworld IX; 03.22.20 Divergence - Westeros.org

HexMachina

That ep kicked ass, almost felt like a season finale.  Random thoughts:

Oh look, Jessie's high again.  Only took ya 5 episodes to relapse dude.

I think the someone was complaining about the lack of really cool music this season.  This ep thoroughly made up for it.  Space Oddity was awesome.

Fare thee well Connells, we barely knew ye.  Sucks he's the first Dolores to go, but makes sense.

Anyone notice when Dolores steps in front of Caleb he notices at least one bullet went through her back?  Like, they stay on that shot for awhile.  I swear for about 5 seconds both my brother and I were sure he was dead (or at least shot if he's a robot too).

Bernard finally realizing he's part of Dolores' plan.  Way to be a worth adversary Bernard.

I thought for a second Serac was gonna make out with his brother in their first flashback scene as adults building Rehoboam while Dempsey yells at them.

Stubbs, you need to get up from falling one story to more quickly help Bernard.  He needs the help.

All the random people in the "real" world wearing masks was curious.  Obviously it makes sense in our current reality, but it doesn't seem to follow if Ford was telling the truth in season 1 that all disease was eradicated.  Or maybe people are fearful of their weakened immune system because disease was eradicated?  I dunno, thought that was strange.

In Serac's opening scene I thought the fly who was annoying the dictator was gonna lead to something.  Appears it was just casual racism.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

In Serac's opening scene I thought the fly who was annoying the dictator was gonna lead to something.  Appears it was just casual racism.

I don’t follow. What’s the racial stereotype connected to flies?

I thought it might have been a callback to Season 1 Episode 1 that ends with Delores killing a fly. But wasn’t sure if that was it or if a fly just randomly flew by while they were shooting and they decided to go with it. 

13 minutes ago, unJon said:

I’m not sure he’s the villain. One of the reasons he’s so good in the role!

Really loving this season. 

Yes, there's a lot of ambiguity in this season as to who we're supposed to be going for. Personally I'm still anti-Dolores; I still find it hard to get myself behind an AI in a world where the human characters are increasingly becoming cannon fodder. I'm a bit more sympathetic to Bernard, but I guess old-fashioned anti-AI prejudices still have me rooting for the humans to win, even if they're as morally dodgy and controlling as Serac (assuming he's human) and even though he's using AI in just as bad a way.

If the Internet becomes sentient and reads this message, I think I'll be the first to go.

36 minutes ago, unJon said:

I don’t follow. What’s the racial stereotype connected to flies?

Emphasizing a fly in dirty Latin America.  Anyway I was just being a smartass.  Guess it coulda been a callback to the pilot, but seems a little unnecessary/random.  For how much attention it got I definitely don't think it just happened while shooting and they went with it.

35 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Personally I'm still anti-Dolores; I still find it hard to get myself behind an AI in a world where the human characters are increasingly becoming cannon fodder.

Dolores definitely got on my good side with this episode.  What she did reminded me of the end of Fight Club.  Surprised they didn't include an instrumental of Where is My Mind.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Dolores definitely got on my good side with this episode.  What she did reminded me of the end of Fight Club.  Surprised they didn't include an instrumental of Where is My Mind.

Another HBO show (The Leftovers) already beat them to it. 

I didn't care for the chase sequence whatsoever; it felt like the weakest part of this season so far. Except for that one bit where the chase convoy made the turn syncing up nicely with Walkürenritt. Other than that, perhaps my favorite episode of the season so far.

It seems unlikely that Dolores is solely out for emancipation but I'm curious to see what her goal ends up being. And I wonder how Maeve plays into this all. Her sick leave was most unfortunately timed.

I thought the fly was just because they're out of cities, flies were a large enough part of my childhood I don't think anything of them. 

I agree the camera focus on the exit wound really made me think Caleb was going to have been shot. I'm still on her team though and wanted to see her talk to Caleb about it.

The action was good, but not a huge fan of the ending; it sort of reminds me a little of the ending to the film Glass. I mean the fact that everyone is just blindly believing that E Mail, that predicts their future is just funny to me. In reality 99% of those people would have just said "fake" and deleted it.

38 minutes ago, sifth said:

The action was good, but not a huge fan of the ending; it sort of reminds me a little of the ending to the film Glass. I mean the fact that everyone is just blindly believing that E Mail, that predicts their future is just funny to me. In reality 99% of those people would have just said "fake" and deleted it.

Their profile contained stuff about their personalities, and likely past and present things. So if people recognized and acknowledged those portions, they would likely consider the predictions, too. For many. it was like a crash therapy session without the therapist.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

And Apocalypse Now. Good music in this one. Best of season so far for me. 

Wait, I missed that, and that film is a top three war movie for myself. 

Since I don't have anything to do other than working out, reading and studying, I can push those off for a few hours, crack open a beer, have a bit of whiskey, and hit replay. 

I had meant to mention the fact I wondered whether or not the woman Caleb visits is actually his mother. But so many dementia patients don’t recognize family...

Martin’s death seemed a little extreme, but didn’t Dolorous say she was going to burn the world down? 

Since Rehoboam used to be called Solomon, I looked up the word. Has anyone mentioned that Rehoboam was the son of Solomon? Solomon disappointed God by straying from religious laws that governed Israelis, but God told Solomon through his prophets that he would not punish Solomon because of the high esteem God held for David, Solomon’s father. Instead, punishment would be directed at his son. Northern Israel revolted against Rehoboam and the country David united was split between North and South, and then Egypt invaded and subdued the South.

So, do we eventually see the world divided between those with free will and those still controlled by AI? When the world goes to hell, there may be a lot of people who want AI back.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Since Rehoboam used to be called Solomon, I looked up the word. Has anyone mentioned that Rehoboam was the son of Solomon? Solomon disappointed God by straying from religious laws that governed Israelis, but God told Solomon through his prophets that he would not punish Solomon because of the high esteem God held for David, Solomon’s father. Instead, punishment would be directed at his son. Northern Israel revolted against Rehoboam and the country David united was split between North and South, and then Egypt invaded and subdued the South.

So, do we eventually see the world divided between those with free will and those still controlled by AI? When the world goes to hell, there may be a lot of people who want AI back.

The various iterations of the Incite AI were all Israelite kings in order: Saul, David, Solomon (the one in the flashback) then Rehoboam. I think it’s like version 1.0 to 4.0. 

Archived