Westworld IX; 03.22.20 Divergence - Westeros.org

HexMachina

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

haha, yes, Dolores is all, all are Dolores. I love watching Maeve being a badass. The music this episode was excellent. 

Not sure how William got back to his house, given where he ended up last season. 

I guess Serac is real, or as real as everything around him, if we're going with that theory.

There was a line at the end of last season on the island about a high value individual being found. I think right after Stubbs reveals he's a host.

43 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Question: why did she not make the Bernard a Dolores?

After she rebuilds Bernard at the end of season two she says something about how it's going to take both of them for their race to survive in the real world, even if they're on different sides.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did they switch up actresses? 

For who? I didn't notice any. I'm definitely on board with them all being Dolores and appreciate it being revealed early.

Interesting to learn Paris got nukes, I wonder if we'll get more than snippets about the state of the world.

I feel like I only watch this show for Maeve and Bernard these days; they're the only characters I truly love who are still alive. I'm really not a fan of the whole Dolores twist. It seems too simple and I hate simple writing. The fact that her code is supposedly insanely complex and far above the other hosts, yet can be easily copied just seems like lazy writing to me.

I guess Aaron Paul is another reason to still watch the show, even though I don't like the simple way his character has been portrayed.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I feel like I only watch this show for Maeve and Bernard these days; they're the only characters I truly love who are still alive. I'm really not a fan of the whole Dolores twist. It seems too simple and I hate simple writing. The fact that her code is supposedly insanely complex and far above the other hosts, yet can be easily copied just seems like lazy writing to me.

I guess Aaron Paul is another reason to still watch the show, even though I don't like the simple way his character has been portrayed.

Aaron Paul is just basically Dolores adjacent, I hope they do more with him but right now, yes, totally under utilized.

Agree, Maeve and Bernard are my favorites, I haven't been much of a fan of Dolores since she went totally deathbringer last season.

I like the idea of an AI controlling most of the world, but its odd that no one ever mentioned this or how it might relate to Delos secret projects....not a huge issue of continuity but it makes me wonder if this was the direction they initially intended to go or if they changed things.

I'm okay with Dolores replicating herself, after all she already replicated Bernard 3? times.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

For who? I didn't notice any. I'm definitely on board with them all being Dolores and appreciate it being revealed early.

Interesting to learn Paris got nukes, I wonder if we'll get more than snippets about the state of the world.

I thought at first for William's daughter, but the actress from last season showed up later on so either it was odd lighting, a different, but similar looking character or I was just drunk. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought at first for William's daughter, but the actress from last season showed up later on so either it was odd lighting, a different, but similar looking character or I was just drunk

The answer is C. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Aaron Paul is just basically Dolores adjacent, I hope they do more with him but right now, yes, totally under utilized.

Agree, Maeve and Bernard are my favorites, I haven't been much of a fan of Dolores since she went totally deathbringer last season.

I like the idea of an AI controlling most of the world, but its odd that no one ever mentioned this or how it might relate to Delos secret projects....not a huge issue of continuity but it makes me wonder if this was the direction they initially intended to go or if they changed things.

I'm okay with Dolores replicating herself, after all she already replicated Bernard 3? times.

Wait, did she replicate Bernard or just repair him? I always assume she just fixed him, but it's been a very long time since I saw seasons 1 and 2 of this show.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Wait, did she replicate Bernard or just repair him? I always assume she just fixed him, but it's been a very long time since I saw seasons 1 and 2 of this show.

She tells Bernard she recreated him from memory after fleeing the park. The same way Ford had her recreate Arnold from memory as the first Bernard. So current Bernard shouldn't for example have any idea who Elsie was.

But he really shouldn't have remembered Maeve being a bad-ass either, and he apparently does. So either it's sloppy writing or a misdirect and she did just take Bernard's pearl and pop it in a new body (which would have been so much easier for her,) and then that Bernard died and she recreated him from memory and there are really three Bernards and multiple timelines. 

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

She tells Bernard she recreated him from memory after fleeing the park. The same way Ford had her recreate Arnold from memory as the first Bernard. So current Bernard shouldn't for example have any idea who Elsie was.

But he really shouldn't have remembered Maeve being a bad-ass either, and he apparently does. So either it's sloppy writing or a misdirect and she did just take Bernard's pearl and pop it in a new body (which would have been so much easier for her,) and then that Bernard died and she recreated him from memory and there are really three Bernards and multiple timelines. 

Not gona lie, this post made my head hurt, but thanks for the info all the same.

I saw a story about little touches in this past episode. The title, The Mother of Exiles, comes from the Statue of Liberty poem and is another name for the statue. "A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles".

The name of the clothing store where Caleb buys his suit is Friston Custom Clothiers. Friston is famous neuroscientist know for mapping the brain. The cowboy hats in Westworld took countless scans of guests' brains. There's a Wired article about his 'free energy principle', which states the key to being human is to use the least amount of energy to minimize surprise, to reduce the gulf between all your sensory inputs and your expectations. This is supposed to be the key in developing AI.

Liam apparently had $315 B in assets, which you may not have caught while watching the episode. No wonder they asked for 2 verifications.

Charlotte helping William to shave is a duplicate of a season 1 scene where Dolores helps William shave. 'hint hint'

Tessa Thompson says call her Chalores. She said last season they were calling her 'Halores', but this season there is more Charlotte in the character.

The song at the sex auction party was a Ramin Djawadi cover of The Weekend's 'Wicked Games'.

Liam and his friend Roderick talk about the whores and Liam says he's not into paying for sex. It echoes the conversation between Maeve and Teddy in Season 1 when he turns down Clementine in the saloon. So, is it a simulation hint?

The name of the distillery where Maeve meets the final Dolores is a Buddhist term meaning "many in body, one in mind". "Itai doshin".

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

But he really shouldn't have remembered Maeve being a bad-ass either, and he apparently does.

I think this could be explained (although I doubt it ever will).  Dolores presumably is aware of Maeve's superpowers - especially once she assumed Hale's identity she would presumably be apprised of this super-bot Delos security needed to deal with.  So, if she has those memories, it follows that she could integrate that into a replicate Bernard just as Ford presumably integrated his own memories of Arnold when building the original Bernard.

44 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The title, The Mother of Exiles, comes from the Statue of Liberty poem and is another name for the statue.

Yeah I noticed that.  Seems a pretty typical Nolan title that invites multiple interpretations.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought at first for William's daughter, but the actress from last season showed up later on so either it was odd lighting, a different, but similar looking character or I was just drunk. 

Actually I did think she looked quite different in that first appearance. I think it probably was something with the lighting.

Archived