The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

Not sure I have anything of particular merit to add but I'll say that I enjoyed it a lot.

Tracking fobs seem pretty dumb, like it's a little doodad that'll put a quest marker on any given person and point you to them where ever they are in the galaxy? That's pretty fucked. Also I'm somewhat ambivalent towards deus ex baby yoda and its inconsistent yet powerful force usage. I'm mostly just nit picking here tho, definitely one of the best things I've seen this year.

RPS made a strong argument that Season 1 of The Mandalorian is a CRPG that plays itself and now I can't unsee it. The Mando levelling up his equipment constantly through the season, raising his reputation with characters, assembling a team of companion characters, engaging in totally unrelated side-quests to grind money and equipment, quest hubs, the spaceship as a mobile camp, an ostensible main storyline hanging in the background which you can follow or ignore as you please and the semi-cliffhanger ending for DLC Season 2.

It's great, just structurally hilarious.

Ok the Bobba Fett thing has been complicated a bit by the reveal of who Olyphant is playing. Morrison may well be playing Rex. Spoilered in case anyone wants to go in clean:

Our sources have confirmed to us that Olyphant filmed scenes wearing Boba Fett’s Mandalorian armor for the upcoming second season of The Mandalorian. That might sound confusing because earlier this month it was reported that Temuera Morrison, who originated the role of Jango Fett (Boba’s clone father), had been cast as Boba Fett. So what’s going on here?

If Morrison is playing the role of Boba Fett, then Timothy Olyphant is playing an enigmatic character named Cobb Vanth. Introduced in Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath book series, Vanth is the self-appointed sheriff of the Tatooine-based settlement Freetown. He wears a mysterious set of Mandalorian armor that was acquired from Jawas who scavenged the wreckage of Jabba the Hutt’s sail barge shortly after the events of Return of the Jedi. As you may recall, that was the site of a battle where Boba Fett was thrown into the Sarlacc Pit on Tatooine’s Dune Sea. It’s assumed that the Mandalorian armor purchased by Vanth is none other than the infamous green armor formerly worn by one of the galaxy’s most notorious bounty hunters, Boba Fett.

Very little has been revealed about Vanth’s backstory, only that he was once a slave, as evidenced by a star-shaped scar carved into his back, signifying ownership. With the fall of gangster Jabba the Hut, a power vacuum has consumed Tatooine, drawing all sorts of crime syndicates to take over the unruled landscape. Cobb has committed his life in the service of protecting Freetown and keeping criminal elements, like the Red Key Raiders, away from Tatooine. He even struck a deal with the Tusken Raiders to help protect the township.

It should be noted that all of the above character details were revealed during the Aftermath book series. We don’t know what he part he plays in the upcoming season of The Mandalorian, but I think the books offer a rad set-up for the character. The Aftermath series gave the impression that while Boba Fett may be dead, the iconic armor would live on for another generation. But if Fett himself is still alive, and present in The Mandalorian season 2, this complicates things.

I'm having trouble editing my last post without messing up the tags. But my thinking is:

Olyphant is obviously not playing Fett. If Jawa's scavenged the armor then Fett is dead. He wouldn't leave it. The Sarlaac probably sucked him out through the neck hole and spat out the undigested armor. Thus Morrison must be playing Rex or another surviving clone.  People probably saw someone walking around in the Fett armor, then assumed Morrison was playing Fett. 

57 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm having trouble editing my last post without messing up the tags. But my thinking is:

Hide contents

Olyphant is obviously not playing Fett. If Jawa's scavenged the armor then Fett is dead. He wouldn't leave it. The Sarlaac probably sucked him out through the neck hole and spat out the undigested armor. Thus Morrison must be playing Rex or another surviving clone.  People probably saw someone walking around in the Fett armor, then assumed Morrison was playing Fett. 

First of all, :ack: on Aftermath book trilogy.

As to whom Olyphant and Morrison play.

Spoiler

Morrison could play both Rex and Fett, they don't have to appear in the same episode, or even if they do, it's still doable. This would be in keeping with canon, which Filoni would want, and Favreau would probably back.

So my guess is Olyphant is either playing that Vanth guy, or someone else entirely.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Ok the Bobba Fett thing has been complicated a bit by the reveal of who Olyphant is playing. Morrison may well be playing Rex. Spoilered in case anyone wants to go in clean:

Reveal hidden contents

Our sources have confirmed to us that Olyphant filmed scenes wearing Boba Fett’s Mandalorian armor for the upcoming second season of The Mandalorian. That might sound confusing because earlier this month it was reported that Temuera Morrison, who originated the role of Jango Fett (Boba’s clone father), had been cast as Boba Fett. So what’s going on here?

If Morrison is playing the role of Boba Fett, then Timothy Olyphant is playing an enigmatic character named Cobb Vanth. Introduced in Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath book series, Vanth is the self-appointed sheriff of the Tatooine-based settlement Freetown. He wears a mysterious set of Mandalorian armor that was acquired from Jawas who scavenged the wreckage of Jabba the Hutt’s sail barge shortly after the events of Return of the Jedi. As you may recall, that was the site of a battle where Boba Fett was thrown into the Sarlacc Pit on Tatooine’s Dune Sea. It’s assumed that the Mandalorian armor purchased by Vanth is none other than the infamous green armor formerly worn by one of the galaxy’s most notorious bounty hunters, Boba Fett.

Very little has been revealed about Vanth’s backstory, only that he was once a slave, as evidenced by a star-shaped scar carved into his back, signifying ownership. With the fall of gangster Jabba the Hut, a power vacuum has consumed Tatooine, drawing all sorts of crime syndicates to take over the unruled landscape. Cobb has committed his life in the service of protecting Freetown and keeping criminal elements, like the Red Key Raiders, away from Tatooine. He even struck a deal with the Tusken Raiders to help protect the township.

It should be noted that all of the above character details were revealed during the Aftermath book series. We don’t know what he part he plays in the upcoming season of The Mandalorian, but I think the books offer a rad set-up for the character. The Aftermath series gave the impression that while Boba Fett may be dead, the iconic armor would live on for another generation. But if Fett himself is still alive, and present in The Mandalorian season 2, this complicates things.

All of this is still just rumor. Also yeah, fuck Aftermath

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 4:48 AM, Rhom said:

Now that the PAL run has hit the finale, any of our overseas folks have new thoughts?

I liked, but didn't love it yet. Definitely has potential, though.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:48 AM, Rhom said:

There was a post in the Skywalker thread that Temuera Morrison is signed for season 2 ostensibly to be Boba Fett.

But seeing as this is Filoni, part of me half expects to see him play an aged clone trooper.

Sigh. I'll never understand obsession with Fett :dunno:. The dude was passably competent in ESB and then a complete chump in RoTJ, where he appeared only briefly.  I was perplexed by the attention he received in the PT and would hate it if he somehow managed to survive the Sarlacc. Gimme Rex or another old clonetrooper though! Ditto, Bo-Katan and Ahsoka. I am also seriously tired of Tatooine - come on, there is the whole big galaxy out there!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, Maia said:

Sigh. I'll never understand obsession with Fett :dunno:. The dude was passably competent in ESB and then a complete chump in RoTJ, where he appeared only briefly.  I was perplexed by the attention he received in the PT and would hate it if he somehow managed to survive the Sarlacc. 

I haven't read it, but apparently some new canon novel establishes it's someone else

Supposedly Olyphant's sheriff like character

wearing the armor after the sarlacc burped it up. 

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/rosario-dawson-ahsoka-tano.html

Not sure how reliable that is, but I'd love to believe this is really happening. 

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

I haven't read it, but apparently some new canon novel establishes it's someone else

Hide contents

Supposedly Olyphant's sheriff like character

wearing the armor after the sarlacc burped it up. 

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/rosario-dawson-ahsoka-tano.html

Not sure how reliable that is, but I'd love to believe this is really happening. 

Recently it was discovered that Temuera Morrison's agency had him listed in the role of Bobba Fett. Whether that is a mistake we'll find out, but it may be we will still get the Fett. https://geekculture.co/temuera-morrisons-agency-lists-boba-fett-the-mandalorian-season-2-credit/

Archived