The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

On 10/31/2020 at 8:07 PM, TrueMetis said:

Hide contents

So the Tuskens are shown to be willing to sacrifice their Banthas to the thing. And sure we're shown it doesn't work exactly as they hoped once, but I don't understand why strapping the explosives to a Bantha, get the Krayt Dragon to eat that Bantha, then blow it up wasn't plan A. Just seems less risky.

Suppose it did look cooler the way they did it.

Spoiler

Yeah, I thought it was plan A until they started unloading. Especially since the bantha that eventually got eaten was carrying waaaay more explosives than the other one and more than got burried ... which why not bury them all if this is your hail Mary?

Plan A made no sense to me. Let's bury the explosives in the sand, which the dragon can move about in like water and easily disrupt the placement of them. There was such a slim chance of getting the wurm out of the sand and above the explosives that you knew it wasn't supposed to work. You are right in that it looked way cooler, but yeah, it was written in poorly.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:18 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Season 2 Episode 1, or Chapter 9 as they call it, is much longer than most episodes of season 1, pretty much a full length TV episode. And it was eventful, visually impressive, filled with some good nostalgia, while also further developing a known world. This show has now reached full western mode with this episode, but it also had a good dose of fantasy. I quite enjoyed it.

Agreed! I'm late to the party this week but for me this episode was this show at its best. It's never going to be a trailblazing piece of art, but a weekly dose of well-executed cliches supported by great visuals and charismatic actors in a universe I like, well I'll sign on to that happily.

There are definitely things that still don't make a lick of sense

Spoiler

As stated above, their plan A was daft. They should have gone for the Banta Boom immediately?

But when you have a class actor like Olyphant on there paired with what must have been a ton of USD on VFX work, they manage to move briskly enough so that it doesn't bother me. This is probably the first episode of this show I'd actually bother rewatching. 

Moral of the story: pick actors for your side characters who are actually good (looking at you Gina Carano), rip the plot from an old western, spend a ton on VFX and sprinkle in just enough nerd shit and you have a winner!

On 10/31/2020 at 12:57 AM, Rhom said:

Really enjoyed it and am amazed that Disney is able to turn out a product like this while also creating the Skywalker Trilogy.

It's daft isn't it? This kind of quality in a movie, it would have been the best SW movie apart from ESB

On 10/31/2020 at 2:59 PM, Mark Antony said:

I feel like the format of the episode didn’t change from the majority of the season one episodes. They mostly had a “case of the week” type feel to them as well. 
I am glad the Marshal didn’t die like I thought he would. Them working together and it ending up finishing relatively smoothly surprised me tbh. 
I will say I was kind of disappointed that baby yoda had absolutely nothing to do. Was hoping he would help in some way with the defeat of the dragon. 
the music in this episode was badass. 

I'm glad Baby Yoda wasn't involved. They got to be careful not turning it into a deus-ex-machina everytime they are in trouble.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

That’s fair just feel like he hasn’t done much since he saved Mandos life early season one. May be misremembering if he’s done anything else since. 

Saved Greef Carga's life in episode 7 by healing him, used force choke on Cara Dune when she was arm wrestling Mando, and stopped the flame trooper from roasting everyone in the finale.

The baby didn't do much this episode but I loved when it closed the lid on it's space crib when the fighting started. 

On another note, if Ahsoka is in this season the way Luke was in TFA I'm gonna be so disappointed. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The baby didn't do much this episode but I loved when it closed the lid on it's space crib when the fighting started. 

Yes, and when the baby ducks down after seeing the dragon come out of the cave. It made me think of Yoda's words before he dies: "Strong am I in the Force, but not that strong." :laugh:

For sure. That kid eats nose to tail. In hindsight Mando got ripped off by them Tuskans with that paltry morsel of dragon meat.

Gotta love the back-screen technology they're using in this series, it just looks amazing on highest resolution. So much that foreground desert rocks look clearly fake.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Star Wars is pulp fiction entertainment. Not saying you *should* like this, just that it's not a fair point of comparison. Star Wars has always been closer to 'Ice PIrates' than '2001' and that's fine by me.

Agreed.  The episode (and the show in general) harkens back to the origins of SW in the weekly serials that Lucas took for inspiration.  It’s just dumb fun.  And by golly, it’s good at being what it is.

Archived