The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Might be helpful if people could put what they’re referencing in their spoiler tags. I just finished Clone Wars, and am only halfway through Rebels, so if the spoilers aren’t strictly related to The Mandalorian it would be nice to know not to open them. 

Sorry! Wasn't thinking. 

8 hours ago, ithanos said:

I know some were disappointed in the 'filler' episode of last week but it paid off for me at the beginning of this episode. Endearment comes with familiarity, and that takes time. I'm glad they spent the time in The Passenger to build the familiarity with Frog Lady (we don't have her name yet!).

Spoiler

I gotta admit, the fact that they stayed with the frogs a bit made me feel better about last weeks episode. part of what I wasn't satisfied with was that that I thought she was a throw away character and it felt disconnected. Not that the frogs did much here, but just seeing them a bit more helped make it feel more like an actual story. Weird, I know, but it worked.

I just saw someone point out that baby actual Yoda would have spent like a hundred years doing the kind of stuff we see the Child doing. Generations of Jedi chasing him down as he tries to capture frogs in the Room of a Thousand Fountains to eat.

I've never gotten around to watching the earlier animated shows. Can one of you toss me a quick spoiler'ed paragraph to explain a bit about the previously-existing characters? I have vague concepts of "Some Jedi chick everyone says is just the bestest", that sword is important but maybe not Brandon Sanderson Talking Sword or Rake's Dragnipur important, and that's about it. I do intent to eventually watch those shows, but likely not til after this Mando season.

THIS IS NOT THE WAY? 

I love that Mando is a (reluctant fundamentalist) culty extremist.

I am here for: the child's obsession with eating; getting some payback from his own food striking back; dockside romantic frog reunion; squids, squids in knitted sweaters, squids doing repair on spaceships with fishing nets; the moody grey-blue-green colour palette; fighting on ships on the sea; fighting on ships on the air; the echo of episode 9 (where Mando says 'hey, where'd you get that armour?' to a fake Mandalorian) but this time his assumption is false, and the final scene with its homage to the face hugger going after Ripley and Newt in Aliens.

I thought this episode was brilliant. 

24 minutes ago, Isis said:

THIS IS NOT THE WAY? 

I am here for: the child's obsession with eating; getting some payback from his own food striking back; dockside romantic frog reunion; squids, squids in knitted sweaters, squids doing repair on spaceships with fishing nets; the moody grey-blue-green colour palette; fighting on ships on the sea; fighting on ships on the air; the echo of episode 9 (where Mando says 'hey, where'd you get that armour?' to a fake Mandalorian) but this time his assumption is false, and the final scene with its homage to the face hugger going after Ripley and Newt in Aliens.

That's racist! 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

THIS IS NOT THE WAY? 

Also the last scene of the episode reminded me of Firefly with a piece of the ship flying off as they left the planet. 

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I've never gotten around to watching the earlier animated shows. Can one of you toss me a quick spoiler'ed paragraph to explain a bit about the previously-existing characters? I have vague concepts of "Some Jedi chick everyone says is just the bestest", that sword is important but maybe not Brandon Sanderson Talking Sword or Rake's Dragnipur important, and that's about it. I do intent to eventually watch those shows, but likely not til after this Mando season.

Spoiler

There’s a bunch of YouTube catch ups, but to be honest they go into more detail than they need to.

Yonks ago, Mandolorians didn’t much like Jedi. But then one joined up, and made himself a special blade called the Darksaber. To be honest it looks cool but doesn’t do much that a lightsaber doesn’t. Then some political shenanigans blah blah blah, it turns out Bo Katan ends up leading the Mandolorians with what has become a symbol of leadership, the darksaber.

Meanwhile, during the Clone Wars, Anakin gets assigned a padowan, Ahsoka Tano. She gradually gets more and more skilled, but one day has a falling out with the Jedi and goes off by herself. So she’s skilled, and not evil, but technically not a Jedi anymore. The last we see of her is that she goes off to find another Jedi called Ezra just after the battle of Endor, who for weird reasons I won’t go in to, has been flung off at great speed to unknown parts.

At some point after the animated series and before this series, Mandolorians have been ‘purged’ by the Empire, and obviously Moff Gideon has ended up with the Darksaber. So Bo Katan, who we just met, wants it back. Ahsoka, as far as we know, was still looking for Ezra so there’s a question of whether she found him or she gave up that fans are eager to learn.

Clone Wars / Rebels spoilers above, sorry can’t figure out how to put text before the spoiler. 

Just to add a bit to what DaveSumm said:

Edit: Dammit I did it again. spoilers for clone wars and rebels. 

During Clone Wars there was a group of Madalorians called the Death Watch (who took off their helmets, btw so that's still a bit weird.) They wanted to return the Mandalorians to their more militant "kill the Jedi" roots and leave the republic. They took control of Mandalore away from Bo-Katan's sister the duchess.  Oh, and Bo-Katan was one of them.

I forget exactly how, but Darth Maul got involved and eventually killed their leader (who's descendent was the Mando voiced by Favreau in season one)  and took the darksaber and control of the Death Watch. At this point Bo-Katan left the Death Watch with her supporters and started working to free Mandalore from Maul. She finally succeeds with help from Ahsoka and some clone troops. Anakin was supposed to help, but got called away because Palpatine had been kidnapped by General Grevious (the opening of Episode III) 

So with the Jedi and the republic gone Mandalore goes along with the empire, Maul becomes a crime boss as seen in Solo, and the Death Watch was apparently no more. But now we know they still existed and recruited children, including Din Djarin.

On Rebels an Madalorian character named Sabine Wren eventually convinces her mother and other Mandalorians they need to help rebel against the empire. Sabine finds the Darksaber on a planet Maul had been hiding on at one point and uses it to sway the other Mandalorians (it's an important symbol of Mandalorian leadership, which is why Bo-Katan wants it so badly.) Sabine gives the sword to Bo so she can lead the Mandalorians, eventually against the empire. We don't see that happen, but given that it ended with something called The Purge it probably didn't go too well for them. 

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Just to add a bit to what DaveSumm said:

Edit: Dammit I did it again. spoilers for clone wars and rebels. 

Hide contents

During Clone Wars there was a group of Madalorians called the Death Watch (who took off their helmets, btw so that's still a bit weird.) They wanted to return the Mandalorians to their more militant "kill the Jedi" roots and leave the republic. They took control of Mandalore away from Bo-Katan's sister the duchess.  Oh, and Bo-Katan was one of them.

I forget exactly how, but Darth Maul got involved and eventually killed their leader (who's descendent was the Mando voiced by Favreau in season one)  and took the darksaber and control of the Death Watch. At this point Bo-Katan left the Death Watch with her supporters and started working to free Mandalore from Maul. She finally succeeds with help from Ahsoka and some clone troops. Anakin was supposed to help, but got called away because Palpatine had been kidnapped by General Grevious (the opening of Episode III) 

So with the Jedi and the republic gone Mandalore goes along with the empire, Maul becomes a crime boss as seen in Solo, and the Death Watch was apparently no more. But now we know they still existed and recruited children, including Din Djarin.

On Rebels an Madalorian character named Sabine Wren eventually convinces her mother and other Mandalorians they need to help rebel against the empire. Sabine finds the Darksaber on a planet Maul had been hiding on at one point and uses it to sway the other Mandalorians (it's an important symbol of Mandalorian leadership, which is why Bo-Katan wants it so badly.) Sabine gives the sword to Bo so she can lead the Mandalorians, eventually against the empire. We don't see that happen, but given that it ended with something called The Purge it probably didn't go too well for them. 

Death Watch =/= Children of the Watch. At least no reason to think so. Great summary otherwise. 

ETA: though the Foundling scene in season one, Mando is rescued by people with Death Watch symbols, right? So seems the two groups are related in some way. Maybe an offshoot. 

14 minutes ago, unJon said:

Death Watch =/= Children of the Watch. At least no reason to think so. Great summary otherwise. 

ETA: though the Foundling scene in season one, Mando is rescued by people with Death Watch symbols, right? So seems the two groups are related in some way. Maybe an offshoot. 

Right, I assume the Children of the Watch are the children like Mando who the few surviving Death Watch members took in after their defeat. Then they decided "lets never take our helmets off and keep saying 'this is the way'" and raised the children in that fashion as the "Children of the Watch"

1 hour ago, unJon said:

I would assume that like a lot of militant cults the Death Watch got more militant after their defeat since only the most hardcore supporters would stick with it.

From certain angles the Razor Crest sure reminds me of Serenity.

On the kid's appetite. To paraphrase Prince Philip; "If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an airship and if it swims and it is not a submersible, this kid will eat it."

Regarding the next episode. Dave Filoni has confirmed he's directing only one episode this season, which he's also writing. It makes sense if one of his treasured characters is a part of that episode. But it won't be this next one, since Carl Weathers has confirmed he's directing this season's 4th episode (Chapter 12). We may get a cameo at the end though.

This episode was pretty good. Not as great as I hoped for, as I see most of the hype was from CW/Rebels fans, but it was not bad. Everything looked marvelous again. I liked how the lore was deepened and some of the actors were great 

Spoiler

I particularly enjoyed the kamikaze Imperial Officer

My favorite bit though, was the action scene in the 

Spoiler

cargo hall. Brilliant really XD

One thing that is a bit irksome is 

Spoiler

how terrible Stormtroopers are. At least Mando took a few hits to the Beskar, but before that they were missing left and right. I sometimes think that Existential Troopers was right that it really sucks to be an imp. They just get shit on the entire time, I wish their menace was preserved a bit better. Or if not, that they had made proper use of Finn's character in the Shitty trilogy. If they had built on the idea that most of the Storm Troopers are abducted children than their humanity would make it excusable. 

58 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Odds on:

Hide contents

Grand Admiral Thrawn showing up later on, obviously played by Benedict Cumberbatch?

Is he announced as a guest star?

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Odds on:

Hide contents

Grand Admiral Thrawn showing up later on, obviously played by Benedict Cumberbatch?

Fairly small, I think

Spoiler

But if it does happen. I wouldn't mind if they did a repeat of what they did here with Bo-Katan, and brought back Lars Mikkelsen. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Is he announced as a guest star?

No. But then again, not sure for how many guest stars there were announcements and how many were leaks.

Archived