The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

22 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Since Filoni did introduce time travel in the franchise, yes, the possibility is there to "erase" the sequel trilogy.

I don't think they will "erase" it but they are certainly already ignoring it.

I'm normally averse to eliminating well-known, major things from canon like these three hugely successful (in gross commercial terms) films but in the case of the sequel trilogy, it does create so many fundamental problems in the Star Wars canon that it feels like eliminating it would make more sense.

I'd go for some kind of unified canon approach, keeping Clone WarsRebels and The Mandalorian in-canon and then adjusting elements around it to bring back in some EU elements in a new context (i.e. Thrawn returns from wherever Ezra sent him and then does some military mastermind stuff similar to the original Thrawn Trilogy) and so on. And obviously firmly delete anything by Wendig from canon and make sure nothing by KJ Anderson comes back into canon.

It'll never happen though. I suspect that they won't revisit the ST era any time soon and the next step would be a "next generation" approach jumping so far into the future that the canon issues cease to matter. And no doubt when those films come out, there'll be a critical reappraisal of the ST to say, "Maybe it wasn't that bad after all." This seems to be the way.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I suspect that they won't revisit the ST era any time soon and the next step would be a "next generation" approach jumping so far into the future that the canon issues cease to matter.

Yea that’d be my guess. It’s just a shame The Mandalorian is trapped this side of the fence. Still, there’s what ... 25 years between this and the ST? There’s a fair bit of room there for stuff the ST didn’t tell us. Luke and Kylo both look about the same age when he tried to kill him in the flashback, so I assume that’s not that long before the main events.

5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea that’d be my guess. It’s just a shame The Mandalorian is trapped this side of the fence. Still, there’s what ... 25 years between this and the ST? There’s a fair bit of room there for stuff the ST didn’t tell us. Luke and Kylo both look about the same age when he tried to kill him in the flashback, so I assume that’s not that long before the main events.

23 years from this show till Luke contemplates killing Ben, then six more till Rey finds Luke according to Wookiepedia. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It'll never happen though. I suspect that they won't revisit the ST era any time soon and the next step would be a "next generation" approach jumping so far into the future that the canon issues cease to matter. And no doubt when those films come out, there'll be a critical reappraisal of the ST to say, "Maybe it wasn't that bad after all." This seems to be the way.

Perish the thought Wert! Those kind of revisionists should be convicted of high treason.

The only way that there will be room for a critical reappraisal of the shitquels is if the next trilogy is somehow even worse. That's what led to "critical reappraisal" of the prequels, on which I guess you are basing your prediction. Never understood that trend either. Seeing how terrible the shitquels are does not make the prequels any less flawed. 

I'm pretty sure that the only shitquel that might be looked upon more kindly in the future is the second one (I actually can't remember the name of the installment right now). The movie is poor overall and has a lot of logic fails in it, but some of the core ideas at the heart of the story are sound (Rey's parents are meaningless and the kid with the broomstick showcasing the force). If only they had run with those ideas in the final one, it might still have been salvageable. 

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Perish the thought Wert! Those kind of revisionists should be convicted of high treason.

The only way that there will be room for a critical reappraisal of the shitquels is if the next trilogy is somehow even worse. That's what led to "critical reappraisal" of the prequels, on which I guess you are basing your prediction. Never understood that trend either. Seeing how terrible the shitquels are does not make the prequels any less flawed. 

I'm pretty sure that the only shitquel that might be looked upon more kindly in the future is the second one (I actually can't remember the name of the installment right now). The movie is poor overall and has a lot of logic fails in it, but some of the core ideas at the heart of the story are sound (Rey's parents are meaningless and the kid with the broomstick showcasing the force). If only they had run with those ideas in the final one, it might still have been salvageable. 

A fucking men.

I think part of that "re-evaluation" is also that people who were like nine at the time and actually thought they were great movies for years are now on the internet having terrible nostalgia based opinions. 

6 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Speaking for myself here, but I always liked episode 3.
It was just the kind of thing you mostly kept for yourself, because everyone seemed to hate it for some reason.
Point is, it's not always "critical reappraisal" so much as something suddenly becoming far easier to defend.
Also, Clone Wars went a long way toward redeeming the prequels.

Edit: and I wasn't nine at the time. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

A fucking men.

I think part of that "re-evaluation" is also that people who were like nine at the time and actually thought they were great movies for years are now on the internet having terrible nostalgia based opinions. 

Like the OT? :p

The PT has a lot of interesting ideas, is visually beautiful and has one of the cores of the best plots out there.

The ST has a lot of the spirit and at least genuinely tries to shake up what came before, at least some of the time. I still rank TLJ as one of the best SW movies and will happily rewatch it. 

As much as i love this show, it makes me angry that the movies have been such shit despite the first two having created one of the most awesome universes in nerd history... mini-Yoda even manages to accomplish what Lucas tried to --and failed miserably-- do with ewoks, jar jar, porgs, and every other vapid forced introduction of "cute".... 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Yes, exactly! I never need to see those movies again either. Star Wars is an important movie but it's not a good movie. 

I'd argue that the seven good movies are at their best, very much fun movies but that most of them aren't really good movies or that important. The concept of a shared universe and toxic fans are the two biggest innovations of Star Wars when you look at the big picture.

10 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Like the OT? :p

The PT has a lot of interesting ideas, is visually beautiful and has one of the cores of the best plots out there.

The ST has a lot of the spirit and at least genuinely tries to shake up what came before, at least some of the time. I still rank TLJ as one of the best SW movies and will happily rewatch it. 

Even when the PT came out there was a vocal minority of fans who were saying something similar. They would argue to till they were blue in the face that the underlying plot of the PT is magnificent and the best thing to ever happen to the SW universe. I would disagree with that, because part of writing a good plot is to make it interesting, keep momentum and carry the audience with you. The PT doesn't really do that. Sure there is an argument that the underlying elements of the plot, the complexity and machinations are interesting, but they are buried so far under a pile of narrative manure that you can barely find them.

The same argument for the ST, there are a few interesting elements in some of those movies. TLJ has some of the most interesting moments and decisions, but at the same time TLJ has some of the most egregiously frustratingly stupid moments as well. The ST overall is a corporate mess, a movie designed by a corporation to sell more stuff ( ok you can say that about all SW movies, it's just really obvious here) and its a trilogy without a plan and without a vision. 

I know personally I find it hard to separate my own love of the OT from my feelings watching it as a kid. Having said that I think the first time I managed to watch it properly in one go was when Lucas released his special editions in the late 90s. I mean Emire is flat out an amazing movie where it all comes together perfectly, I doubt anyone would argue against that.

New Hope is, well I have to place it in the context of its time, which you pretty much have to do with all older movies. That it still holds up relatively well now, so many years later, is testament to it's qualities. Sure it comes across as a little flawed and hammy at times, but we live in a much more cynical time now where pretty everything SW introduced has been rehashed and scavenged, so that it doesn't seem new or interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

They would argue to till they were blue in the face that the underlying plot of the PT is magnificent and the best thing to ever happen to the SW universe.

I never really got this, because everything good about the plot is entirely dictated by the OT. You could’ve made this argument in 1980 without having seen a single second of the PT. It was always going to be about Anakin becoming Vader, about the Emperor building an Empire. And given what an open goal it was, they turned out utter, utter dogshit. I don’t even think the plot is good, once you remove the inevitable elements that it had to include.

12 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I never really got this, because everything good about the plot is entirely dictated by the OT. You could’ve made this argument in 1980 without having seen a single second of the PT. It was always going to be about Anakin becoming Vader, about the Emperor building an Empire. And given what an open goal it was, they turned out utter, utter dogshit. I don’t even think the plot is good, once you remove the inevitable elements that it had to include.

Generally the argument is about how Trade Blockades and disputes make for a compelling story.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Even when the PT came out there was a vocal minority of fans who were saying something similar. They would argue to till they were blue in the face that the underlying plot of the PT is magnificent and the best thing to ever happen to the SW universe. I would disagree with that, because part of writing a good plot is to make it interesting, keep momentum and carry the audience with you. The PT doesn't really do that.

*for you. 

The plot was interesting enough for me, and the PT provided far more world-building than the OT.

Anyway  (since we're off-topic), at the opposite end of the spectrum, The Mandalorian is fun, but so far has barely any plot worthy of the name (it's starting to kick off, slowly).

Which goes to show that entertainment can work in many different ways. 

1 minute ago, Rippounet said:

*for you. 

The plot was interesting enough for me, and the PT provided far more world-building than the OT.

Anyway  (since we're off-topic), at the opposite end of the spectrum, The Mandalorian is fun, but so far has barely any plot worthy of the name (it's starting to kick off, slowly).

Which goes to show that entertainment can work in many different ways. 

Well yeah I would put you in the vocal minority then if you found that world building interesting. Conceptually maybe it was interesting, in execution is was awful, and I don't think we should give the PT a pass because of it. 

Yeah the Mandalorian has very little in the way of a plot running through it, and it hasn't bothered me one bit. It's a casual show I can watch casually. It's the classic 'stranger walks into a town, is faced with a problem, solves it.. walks to the next town' formula that has worked so well for decades. It's basically the Littlest Hobo, but a faceless gun toting bad ass instead of a helpful German Shepherd.

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah the Mandalorian has very little in the way of a plot running through it, and it hasn't bothered me one bit.

It hasn’t ... yet. Although I do wonder where they can go with it. What’s a good turnout for the Child? Should he find more Yoda people, or Jedi? Or is he too integral to the show now? Could he develop to a full teammate of Mando’s, using the Force? It’s a largely episodic show, but at the same time, there is a through line and I don’t think modern audiences will be all that pleased if it just drifts aimlessly without some sort of direction.

Archived