The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

8 hours ago, Toth said:

...I just knew that absolutely nobody was in any danger whatsoever and that they will effortlessly butcher everybody on their way out.

:lmao:

8 hours ago, Toth said:

I must say I was especially annoyed at the TIE Fighter scene. They successfully locked onto the protagonists several times, which was always a tell-tale signs of someone getting blown-up, but then they missed anyway. And for a group of TIE Fighters...

Yeah, even with targeting computers doing the heavy lifting, their aim is still shit. Didn't they also have a couple of troopers on speeders randomly crash on their way down the hill?

The Empire must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel in the immediate ABY decade.

"Well, who's left then?'

"Most of the marketing department survived; also warehouse staff and a few droid mechanics."

"I want them in 'Trooper armor with blasters in their hands by the end of the week! Let's go people; this empire isn't going to rebuild itself."

Under their helmets, they're silently screaming.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Not feeling the hype to be honest. Apart from the fact that we finally got some info about the bad guys' plans, I don't really see much to love about it. There was zero tension as the storm troopers have just become jokes at this point. It's absolutely insane how they weren't able to land a single shot on any of the attackers.

If it's the size of a planet, the Empire has perfect aim.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Apart from the glaring Storm Trooper issue, there were also just so many other logic fails in the whole thing. What was the point of including 

Reveal hidden contents

the blue dude in the first place? Why bring him back? (and I'm looking for explanations within the story, which they didn't give, instead of something like "the actor portraying him is a good friend of..." or "the actor has incriminating evidence on Filoni" or something like that) and why on earth did they all put so much stock in him? Doesn't he have an active incentive of betraying them to safe his own hide and write his debts off?

Why did that imperial spy put a tracker in the razor crest, instead of just signalling to everyone on that base that Mando was gone and the Child vulnerable? 

Why the hell did they leave their speedster parked outside the base without a guard, even though the area was vulnerable to lava flows which could have destroyed their getaway car?

Why on earth did Apollo Creed and Gina Carano think that attacking an imperial base was a good idea? Didn't they do more scouting? They do realize that they are fucked now. Why Gideon didn't bombard the shit out of their town to begin with I can't fathom, but he sure as hell should launch a punitive expedition now.

And you can keep going like that...

All valid points.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I worry that some of the badassery we got this season is over-hyping Ahsoka. Considering her skills and abilities, she could reasonably take on Mando, Bo-Katan and Cara Dune at the same time, so I hope whatever action she will be in will live up the hype.

I wouldn't be shocked if she's some kinda pacifist now. and isn't involved in many action scenes. Only basing that on (Rebels spoiler):

Her holding that staff and generally looking kinda Gandalfy at the end of Rebels. Seems like she changed a bit, and then who knows what happened during the search for Ezra. 

If they bring her in and she can just lightsaber the bad guys then the show goes from "like a video game" to "like a video game with cheats on." 

re: stormtrooper aim, you kind of have to wonder why they didn't go back to droids. Especially after seeing IG-11 in action last season. 

I'm rewatching rise of the skywalker for the only time and like holy shit. It's bad a lot. 

spoilers that could not possible negatively impact anyone's experience: 

they should hav cut the opening sequence where the Ren finds palpatine and he reveal's he has more ships all lined up. It's terrible, not just in concept but in execution. Cover this shit in the opening crawl if you don't have anything to say.

Also why couldn't palpatine give ren some secret sith power, or relic or anything other than what the ships the bad guys had in ROTJ? 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'm rewatching rise of the skywalker for the only time and like holy shit. It's bad a lot. 

The sequel trilogy in general doesn't hold up to repeat viewings. The Mandalorian, at its best, is better than any of those films.

IMO, if Disney does anything cinematically with SW going forward, They should focus on the Old Republic. There's thousands of years of republic history and countless stories that could be told.

10 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The sequel trilogy in general doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.

agreed, but of course neither do the prequels, the just have the advantage of consistent vision and basic planning. 

The Force Awakens is not a bad movie. I don't like the story setup the writers chose and it  but it's nowhere near prequel levels of bad. It's competently made. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

agreed, but of course neither do the prequels, the just have the advantage of consistent vision and basic planning. 

The Force Awakens is not a bad movie. I don't like the story setup the writers chose and it  but it's nowhere near prequel levels of bad. It's competently made. 

I actually rewatched the prequel trilogy not long ago.

Yes, some of the dialogue is clunky; some of the performances are... not great; some of the characters...

That said, there are a lot of things it gets right and there are a lot of great things in it. I never thought it came close to deserving the amount of hate they got.

TFA was pretty good actually. but it didn't take long for people to realize just how derivative it was. It's about as close to  and episode 4 remake as you can get without actually doing one.

22 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I actually rewatched the prequel trilogy not long ago.

Yes, some of the dialogue is clunky; some of the performances are... not great; 

That seems extremely generous to me.  3PO's head on the assembly line, for example is an order of magnitude stupider than anything in The Force Awakens. 

Looking for something of actual quality in the prequel trilogy is like looking for a needle in a haystack. You really have to strain and try and ignore so many egregiously incompetent decisions to make it happen.

Even when it came out pretty much the only thing you could say about it was that it looked nice. But now even that doesn’t hold up as technology has advanced , also everything is so obviously green screened and working on two obvious planes, it makes every scene look incredibly flat.

I know my own feelings coming out of watching TFA were just relief, it was closer to the OT in tone and wasn’t so obviously stupid and made for toddlers as TPM, and so I was happy. Took me a while to realise how devoid of new ideas it was though, and I resisted those thoughts because it was too painful to think I’d have to go through 2 more lazy rehashes of the OT.

20 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That seems extremely generous to me.  3PO's head on the assembly line, for example is an order of magnitude stupider than anything in The Force Awakens. 

"One last look at my friends", while surrounded by a group of people he's barely interacted with in 3 films. Artoo just re-uploads him later anyway, doesn't he?

But yes, the comedic punch-up in those films wasn't good and 3PO's head in the droid works wasn't even the worst offender.  The way C-3PO was handled in general was kind of lame.  He should have been introduced when they got to Coruscant (sp?)

56 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Looking for something of actual quality in the prequel trilogy is like looking for a needle in a haystack. You really have to strain and try and ignore so many egregiously incompetent decisions to make it happen.

The prequel trilogy was actually about something.  Have no idea what the sequel trilogy was about.

The prequel trilogy was about making money as well. People just kidded themselves it was going to be more important than it turned out to be because Lucas had it - very vaguely - planned when making the original movies. When getting to the end of the prequels, you realise it hasn't really added any significant further understanding of the universe that is actually useful (apart maybe from midichlorians, ironically, and that further understanding is that Lucas is a bit of an idiot). It took The Clone Wars to actually redeem the prequel era and make it make any of kind of thematic or ideological sense.

I wonder if Filoni and Favreau are warming up to do the same thing for the sequel trilogy: as it stands, it's a mess (the last film in particular), but this week's Mandalorian at least nodded to a way of making it more connected in a grander sense.

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

TFA was pretty good actually. but it didn't take long for people to realize just how derivative it was. It's about as close to  and episode 4 remake as you can get without actually doing one.

TFA is one of my go-to "stupid dumb fun" movies of the last decade, alongside Pacific Rim and its sequel. It's very dumb, but it is watchably entertaining.

2 hours ago, Toth said:

Making money?

Bingo.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I wonder if Filoni and Favreau are warming up to do the same thing for the sequel trilogy: as it stands, it's a mess (the last film in particular), but this week's Mandalorian at least nodded to a way of making it more connected in a grander sense.

After the last episode, I'd say that's exactly what they're doing. Guaranteed we'll see the birth pf the first order before it's done.

It makes me wonder; how long do they plan on keeping this series going? Is it open ended or do they have a plan? ate we going to be 10 season in and Mando is still going to be dragging that kid around?

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

The prequel trilogy was about making money as well. People just kidded themselves it was going to be more important than it turned out to be because Lucas had it - very vaguely - planned when making the original movies. When getting to the end of the prequels, you realise it hasn't really added any significant further understanding of the universe that is actually useful (apart maybe from midichlorians, ironically, and that further understanding is that Lucas is a bit of an idiot). It took The Clone Wars to actually redeem the prequel era and make it make any of kind of thematic or ideological sense.

Yes, cinema is the intersection of art and commerce. Big budget effects driven films; doubly so.

I don't understand any of the rest.

I subscribe to the idea that the missing ingredient in the prequel trilogy was Marcia Lucas.

I also subscribe to the idea this is off topic. I acknowledge my role in contributing to this.

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

After the last episode, I'd say that's exactly what they're doing. Guaranteed we'll see the birth pf the first order before it's done.

It makes me wonder; how long do they plan on keeping this series going? Is it open ended or do they have a plan? ate we going to be 10 season in and Mando is still going to be dragging that kid around?

According to an interview Esposito gave a few months ago, they have planned the storyline for 4 seasons. Whether that means stuff related to his character and his hunt for the child, or something more, not entirely sure.

Archived