The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

46 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The thing the writers seem not have realized is that if you're going to use the RPG structure for a show (which is probably not a good idea to begin with), you really need to have a strong cast of main characters.

Indeed. Would be nice to have a cast of real characters, some decent dialogue, maybe even some development here or there. Single player D&D campaigns rarely work due to the lack of PC interacting with anything but NPC and a pet or two. This show suffers from that, for sure.  

57 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Interesting. I've never seen other Filoni shows so maybe my expectations were too high, especially because most of the buzz I'd heard about the show was positive (it was a bit of a relief to come into this thread and see that I'm not the only one who thinks it's underwhelming). I wasn't expecting The Wire or Game of Thrones in space or anything at that level, but I did maybe expect something along the lines of the quality and approach of Firefly.

I really hope Mando doesn't descend to Game of Thrones levels!

I was today days old when I found out that Yoda was supposed to be a surname. His first name was originally going to be Minch.

Baby Minch wouldn't quite have the same ring.

As for The Mandalorian's structure, I think they're trying to nail the Saturday morning pulp serial thing Lucas was going for with the OT, just without there being 3 years between installments. I must admit that this second season has had some stronger episodes, but it is suffering a little in the weekly release stakes. I binged Season 1 - plus most of Rebels and The Clone Wars - in one go and I think that improved those seasons over watching them weekly, I think. With the early parts of all these shows, there's a lot of episodic stuff before becoming more seriously serialised later on, and the episodic stuff is good for character development. But when you only have two regular characters and one of them is an animatronic toy, I don't think you really need to repeat that structure again.

Agreed on Mando getting rid of the helmet. I wonder if a situation arises when he realises he's not a fanatic and he's chill with leaving the helmet off after that point.

It feels like there's a missed comedy sketch here, a behind-the-scenes of the Mando showing someone else in the helmet and Pedro is at home eating Doritos just giving line readings into a microphone between skimming articles on Buzzfeed.

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It feels like there's a missed comedy sketch here, a behind-the-scenes of the Mando showing someone else in the helmet and Pedro is at home eating Doritos just giving line readings into a microphone between skimming articles on Buzzfeed.

It's a damn near certainty that, at some point in the story, Mando will let someone else wear his armor to create a diversion, allowing him to achieve his objective (probably getting baby Yoda back from Gideon).

I like the Western feel of the series, and the episodic structure reminds me of old serial TV - The Lone Ranger (who never took his mask off) on his trusted mount Silver, with friend Tonto always nearby. This could easily be re-titled The Man of Lorian and the Nevarro Kid.

41 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I was today days old when I found out that Yoda was supposed to be a surname. His first name was originally going to be Minch.

That actually makes sense.

Also, apparently Razor Crest is the model of Mando's ship, and not its name. Though it could be the Razor Crest named Razor Crest, I reckon it could have a name with Silver in it as homage to The Lone Ranger's mount.

31 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I so want this

:lol:  if true to The Mandalorian, you never see his face - a manchild with a watch.

1 hour ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I so want this

Last season's episode 4 also had a mistake, a microphone that could be seen above the actors. I think that may have been Bryce Dallas Howard's directorial debut, so no surprise these things happen with new directors. Funny coincidence it's episode 4 again.

Or...

The two mistakes put together are a subtle homage to Dark Helmet killing the sound guy in Spaceballs. (Except that guy wasn't wearing jeans)

Biggest Wham moments of the episode:

Spoiler
  1. Ahsoka is back already, yeah!
  2. Thrawn is also back. Which likely also means we will hear what happened with Ezra. At this point Filoni is just continuing Rebels, isn't he? And... Thrawn is raiding backwater villages for supplies? That's just... sad...
  3. HK Assassin Droids. Those are STILL in production?!?
  4. Ahsoka sends Mando to Tython, the ancestral homeworld of the first Jedi order. Yay for another Old Republic shoutout! She claims that there is still a chance for him to attract the attention of another Jedi. There is no way they are going to get Luke for this, or is there? But then again, Ahsoka clearly wants Mando to keep the child and not have him become a Jedi, so the whole mission is just a way to keep him busy until he realizes he's a dad now.

Then again, some minor annoyance:

Spoiler
  1. How come the Jedi who managed to hold her ground against Vader to struggle against some lady with a spear? That was... weird. You could argue that it was because she needed to find a way to disarm her to press her for information, but it was still awkward to look at.
  2. So... did Ahsoka just confirm the suspicions floating around here that the child is at the edge of the dark side already? But with the argument that he's too attached to Mando? I feel like Ahsoka, given how shitty the Jedi Order treated her and Anakin, would be the last one to take the old order's attitude towards relationships at face value.
  3. Is it just me or is Grogu a stupidly generic name for the kid? I don't think it fits...

Spoiler

AHSOKA TANO: "I've known only one other being like this. A wise Jedi Master named Yoda."

FORCE GHOST OF YADDLE: "A joke to you, I am?"

(although it appears that Yaddle had stepped down from the Jedi Council by the start of the Clone Wars, but you'd think Ahsoka would have at least heard of her)

FAVREAU: "So in this sequence are we going for Kurosawa or Leone?"

FILONI: "Yes."

35 minutes ago, Werthead said:
  Hide contents

AHSOKA TANO: "I've known only one other being like this. A wise Jedi Master named Yoda."

FORCE GHOST OF YADDLE: "A joke to you, I am?"

(although it appears that Yaddle had stepped down from the Jedi Council by the start of the Clone Wars, but you'd think Ahsoka would have at least heard of her)

Heard and known are two different things.

Spoiler

I knew she was going to mention Yoda. And I did not expect the name drop of Thrawn, though I doubt he'll be in this show.

And nice to have a name for the child: Grogu.

I wish Michael Biehn had done more. He hasn't aged as well as other action actors of his generation.

This was an exciting episode. Another different environment.

Biehn was fine, maybe a tad stiff. He's 65 but looked a few years younger.

Spoiler

I was wondering if they were thinking about keeping him around but decided no, better to send him on his way straight away.

If the rumour they're thinking about a Tano live-action spin-off is true, it'll be interesting to see what in this episode was laying groundwork for that and what was setup for future episodes of The Mandalorian. Thrawn sounds like a better fit as the enemy in a Tano show that's much more continuity heavy, whilst Moff Gideon I'm guessing will be the primary opponent for this show.

Having the Mando have to go on to another, different planet to find a different Jedi was a bit odd, but it's also a bit more ambiguous and interesting. What other Jedi can show up? I doubt their CG is good enough for a de-aged Luke (maybe over a holocommunicator, but probably not in the flesh) and Ezra feels like it would be part of another story. Maybe just introduce a specific, new Jedi for this show?

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Biehn was fine, maybe a tad stiff. He's 65 but looked a few years younger.

Hide contents

I was wondering if they were thinking about keeping him around but decided no, better to send him on his way straight away.

If the rumour they're thinking about a Tano live-action spin-off is true, it'll be interesting to see what in this episode was laying groundwork for that and what was setup for future episodes of The Mandalorian. Thrawn sounds like a better fit as the enemy in a Tano show that's much more continuity heavy, whilst Moff Gideon I'm guessing will be the primary opponent for this show.

Having the Mando have to go on to another, different planet to find a different Jedi was a bit odd, but it's also a bit more ambiguous and interesting. What other Jedi can show up? I doubt their CG is good enough for a de-aged Luke (maybe over a holocommunicator, but probably not in the flesh) and Ezra feels like it would be part of another story. Maybe just introduce a specific, new Jedi for this show?

Spoiler

Yes, I expect the Ahsoka show to be the proper Rebels sequel.

Cal Kestis and Cere Junda could still be around. Though the actor who played Cal may be a little too young looking to resume his role with a time gap of 15-20 years or so. The actress for Cere would be more appropriate. And with the Empire in collapse, either may be more willing to train a Jedi this time around.

Another possibility is that Grogu will attract the wrong attention at the temple, a dark side user.

Interesting that Ahsoka never once denied being a Jedi.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

Biggest Wham moments of the episode:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Ahsoka is back already, yeah!
  2. Thrawn is also back. Which likely also means we will hear what happened with Ezra. At this point Filoni is just continuing Rebels, isn't he? And... Thrawn is raiding backwater villages for supplies? That's just... sad...
  3. HK Assassin Droids. Those are STILL in production?!?
  4. Ahsoka sends Mando to Tython, the ancestral homeworld of the first Jedi order. Yay for another Old Republic shoutout! She claims that there is still a chance for him to attract the attention of another Jedi. There is no way they are going to get Luke for this, or is there? But then again, Ahsoka clearly wants Mando to keep the child and not have him become a Jedi, so the whole mission is just a way to keep him busy until he realizes he's a dad now.

Then again, some minor annoyance:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. How come the Jedi who managed to hold her ground against Vader to struggle against some lady with a spear? That was... weird. You could argue that it was because she needed to find a way to disarm her to press her for information, but it was still awkward to look at.
  2. So... did Ahsoka just confirm the suspicions floating around here that the child is at the edge of the dark side already? But with the argument that he's too attached to Mando? I feel like Ahsoka, given how shitty the Jedi Order treated her and Anakin, would be the last one to take the old order's attitude towards relationships at face value.
  3. Is it just me or is Grogu a stupidly generic name for the kid? I don't think it fits...

Spoiler

1. It was a weird, but she definitely didn't want to kill the magistrate. She probably should have used the Force to just throw her around and disarm her. And I though as I was watching that she should have used only one saber, since you could grab the spear and wrestle it away, which is exactly what happened eventually.

2. The child is still young. The problem with the attachment is that it's towards a guy who regularly gets involved in bad situations, and could be killed at any time. That certainly can increase the fear in the child.

3. I have no problem with the name. Like Yoda's, it's a simple, short name, which could be a characteristic of the species and culture. Did you want Anasûrimbor Kellhus? 

19 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

1. It was a weird, but she definitely didn't want to kill the magistrate. She probably should have used the Force to just throw her around and disarm her. And I though as I was watching that she should have used only one saber, since you could grab the spear and wrestle it away, which is exactly what happened eventually.

2. The child is still young. The problem with the attachment is that it's towards a guy who regularly gets involved in bad situations, and could be killed at any time. That certainly can increase the fear in the child.

3. I have no problem with the name. Like Yoda's, it's a simple, short name, which could be a characteristic of the species and culture. Did you want Anasûrimbor Kellhus? 

Spoiler

1. Yes, definitely a case of just another time a Jedi forgets that they can use the Force to skip a battle. It is odd, given that a few Force pushes should be easier to choreograph than jumping all over the place all the time.

2. That would be an argument to take the child away from Mando, wouldn't it?

3. Simple is good, but I just think Grogu sounds more like you would call an Ork, wouldn't it? How about Yamu? Yeru? Or hey, maybe have our Din Djarin give him a Mandalorian name when he finally accepts him as his own son instead of Ahsoka randomly saying "Oh, btw his name is Gorgutz."!

22 minutes ago, Toth said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1. Yes, definitely a case of just another time a Jedi forgets that they can use the Force to skip a battle. It is odd, given that a few Force pushes should be easier to choreograph than jumping all over the place all the time.

2. That would be an argument to take the child away from Mando, wouldn't it?

3. Simple is good, but I just think Grogu sounds more like you would call an Ork, wouldn't it? How about Yamu? Yeru? Or hey, maybe have our Din Djarin give him a Mandalorian name when he finally accepts him as his own son instead of Ahsoka randomly saying "Oh, btw his name is Gorgutz."!

It's the perfect name for someone who eats a lot. :P

Archived