The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

Interesting episode.

Spoiler

Nice Thrawn namedrop.

Obviously very focused on Ahsoka and honestly I'm not sure how I feel about her in this episode. It seems like we've seen several very different iterations of the character over the three shows she's appeared in, and with the time jumps between Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mando it's understandable but it's still a little disconcerting and I do have to wonder what happened to her so much in each gap; the ending of Rebels was somewhat suggestive though again so many more questions than answers. I wonder that she seems to have become more Jedi-ified (as others have mentioned she never denied being one) and for me that's kinda a negative - obviously her revelation that Anakin was Vader shook her and when she was talking about Grogu and attachment and fear and all that she was herself afraid of and thinking about that fall, but still she should be well aware from her own experiences that there are other ways than the Jedi one, that they were far from perfect, and that their own dogmatic ways were as much to blame as anything.

Also maybe they're trying to hold back for a finale or didn't have the time to train Dawson sufficiently or just needed to ensure that the episode worked so plot comes before actually showing a character utilise their full abilities but I feel like Ahsoka would've torn through all those randos much more quickly and easily in some kinda acrobatic rush rather than engage in all those stealth and ambush shenanigans and likewise was the magistrate supposed to be some kinda Sith acolyte? I know sword fights are cool and the episode wanted some tension but Ahsoka is supposed to be one of the best duelists out there and with force powers the fight should have lasted seconds.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

1. It was a weird, but she definitely didn't want to kill the magistrate. She probably should have used the Force to just throw her around and disarm her. And I though as I was watching that she should have used only one saber, since you could grab the spear and wrestle it away, which is exactly what happened eventually.

2. The child is still young. The problem with the attachment is that it's towards a guy who regularly gets involved in bad situations, and could be killed at any time. That certainly can increase the fear in the child.

3. I have no problem with the name. Like Yoda's, it's a simple, short name, which could be a characteristic of the species and culture. Did you want Anasûrimbor Kellhus? 

I had a Sith Sorcerer in TOR named Darth Anasurimbor.  Think it’s a fine name.

:lol: 

There's always going to be a disconnect between how things look in animation and live action. I don't think it's too much of a surprise to see characters in live-action not moving as far or as improbably athletically as they could in stylised CG or cartoons. The one time they did try to have a Jedi bouncing around the place in live-action we ended up with Yoda Pinball in Episodes II and III, and we can forego that again, thanks.

The real question is to what degree are people going to call him by this name, continue using "Baby Yoda" or continue using "the Child" as a suitable halfway house? This could tear the fandom apart again.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There's always going to be a disconnect between how things look in animation and live action. I don't think it's too much of a surprise to see characters in live-action not moving as far or as improbably athletically as they could in stylised CG or cartoons. The one time they did try to have a Jedi bouncing around the place in live-action we ended up with Yoda Pinball in Episodes II and III, and we can forego that again, thanks.

The real question is to what degree are people going to call him by this name, continue using "Baby Yoda" or continue using "the Child" as a suitable halfway house? This could tear the fandom apart again.

Well... considering I don’t know any fans who call Mando by his given name and I fully expect the Child to still be called “Kid” by our perpetually masked protagonist; I think his moniker has already been decided.

57 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yaddle died in between Ep 1 and 2

Negatory.

Spoiler

Her death was only depicted in Expanded Universe material, and was thus rendered non-canon in 2012.

Yaddle's fate in the new canon is unknown, save she retired from the Jedi Council between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. One of the new canon comics suggested, but did not confirm, that she returned to Coruscant for the final battle of the Clone Wars and was then killed in the Jedi Temple during Order 66.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Negatory.

Hide contents

Her death was only depicted in Expanded Universe material, and was thus rendered non-canon in 2012.

Yaddle's fate in the new canon is unknown, save she retired from the Jedi Council between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. One of the new canon comics suggested, but did not confirm, that she returned to Coruscant for the final battle of the Clone Wars and was then killed in the Jedi Temple during Order 66.

Spoiler

Maybe she took Grogu out of the temple just in time, but was mortally wounded, and entrusted him to someone else.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Maybe she took Grogu out of the temple just in time, but was mortally wounded, and entrusted him to someone else.

That's not a bad idea (cue end of season flashbacks).

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You mean...

Spoiler

her great great great great great great great grandson?

That was pretty good! It was never going to live up to my expectations and I have to get used to Ahsoka's new voice. But I liked it. 

Even if a lot of it was just a quest to get a weapon that is effective against the boss.

I wish they'd done more with Biehn, or let him live to show up another day. The duel was kinda stupid because even if he'd outdrawn Mando he would have just hit his armor and still lost, no?

So Lightsabers can't cut through beskar? I found that surprising. (wasn't Fett's jetback broken by being bumped by a metal pole?) Or they can't cut through pure beskar like the spear and his wrist armor but she would have cut through the rest of his armor?  

I wonder who smuggled Grogu out and how he ended up with those aliens from the first episode. The "I don't think it's a good idea to teach him but go ask and maybe another Jedi will" was weird. Are we expecting an alive person or a force ghost? I know she said there aren't many Jedi left, but that's also true of force ghosts. I'll be a little disappointed if it's just some rando created for the show.

Maybe the long awaited return of Mace Windu? I know Jackson's always been eager to reprise that role.

Spoiler

Everything you think about with Asoka, in terms of look and sound, I thought they nailed with the live action. In so much as she wasn't quite as spritely as her animated counterpart, that's totally fine. Rosario Dawson looked the part. She, mostly, sounded the part.  It worked, and though I think having Asoka's voice actress would have been perfect, what we got with Dawson instead works.

Right now though, in terms of the story...we're bouncing between two main stories, and while I suppose they're sorta connected, it sure doesn't feel like it.  What does this story want to be? Grogu and Mando seeking the Jedi for him? Or is it running from, and avoiding, Moff Gideon?  The disconnect between the two feels miles apart, rather than parallel...

And by the way...other than last week's sort of assumed reference to maybe being a connection to the ninth movie, absolutely nothing else with this show feels like it wants to move in the direction of the sequel movies...it's really early, I know, but it seems like no...

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Hide contents

Everything you think about with Asoka, in terms of look and sound, I thought they nailed with the live action. In so much as she wasn't quite as spritely as her animated counterpart, that's totally fine. Rosario Dawson looked the part. She, mostly, sounded the part.  It worked, and though I think having Asoka's voice actress would have been perfect, what we got with Dawson instead works.

Right now though, in terms of the story...we're bouncing between two main stories, and while I suppose they're sorta connected, it sure doesn't feel like it.  What does this story want to be? Grogu and Mando seeking the Jedi for him? Or is it running from, and avoiding, Moff Gideon?  The disconnect between the two feels miles apart, rather than parallel...

I think Ahsoka/Thrawn is set up for a spin-off. Disney+ needs more content to keep people subscribed year round. Plus there's too much story to tell there to squeeze into this show. Especially when it comes to their time in the mysterious distant regions of space. God I hope he didn't kill Sabine. 

That's not to say Ahsoka can't still pop in on this show. They could even do Arrowverse style crossover events down the line.  

I'm pretty sure Gideon will use the tracker on the razor crest to capture Grogu in the finale. Nice dark Empire Strikes Back type ending. Then next season Mando and Bo Katan can assemble some allies and go get him back.

Archived