The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

Very fun episode, definitely hyped for the next!

Spoiler

I agree that it's a little strange that it seemed fairly common knowledge in season 1 but at the same time I suppose you can argue that the galaxy is a big place and I guess his cell was very active in the little area he was in.

Still it's really nice to see characters coming in from Clone Wars/Rebels and kicking ass.

One thing that also seemed odd to me... since when is the imperial (or rather remnant or whatever) fleet a death cult? Generally I've seen imperial officers seen as somewhere on the bully / authoritarian / fascist spectrum not as the kind of fanatics that would suicide for a cause.

1 hour ago, Toth said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, I didn't took it as a lie, but rather that his group was an extremist splinter cult of the Mandalorians. Which... I kinda called from the very beginning of this show, but there is still the nasty feeling of retcon hovering above all of this. What with every random bystander he met in season 1 somehow knowing that all Mandos are peculiar about their helmets, despite it now being very clear that the vast majority of them doesn't.

Spoiler

You're right, I shouldn't have called it a lie, maybe a disillusion. I don't really recall many strangers being aware of the don't-show-face portion of Mando's creed. Most people are familiar with the armor itself, not the creed. Most Mandalorian warriors will always have the armor on when outside of Mandalore. 

We still need some more background on what role the Children of the Watch played during the Empire's purge of Mandalore.

Can we assume anyone reading the thread on a Friday has seen it? Spoiler tags just get a bit annoying. It comes out everywhere simultaneously anyway.

I don’t remember who Mando met in Season 1 that knew about his helmet rule, but we did spend a lot of time on a planet with that specific contingent of Mandolorians so it makes sense. And we don’t really know what the Purge was exactly, or how prevalent the Watch are compared to other Mandolorians now.

Also, he seriously needs to go to a better mechanic before he carries on his quest. That ship is screeeeewed.

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Can we assume anyone reading the thread on a Friday has seen it? Spoiler tags just get a bit annoying.

I haven't! But I'm weird and don't mind spoilers. I believe the rule is that the thread title needs (spoilers) in it to ditch the tags. 

Edit: Apparently it has to be SPOILERS in all caps to protect people who only read words that are in all caps. 

Comments in general-discussion threads about films/TV series that are currently airing or in theaters need to be spoiler tagged. If you are unsure about how to do this, click the "BB Code Help" button that appears at the lower-right when you post a new topic or reply to another post. Otherwise, the entire thread itself needs to be labeled for SPOILERS in the thread title (please use ALL CAPS so it is not missed).

As someone who thought the best action scenes in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series couldn't be reproduced in live action for TV, I'm just gushing at this last episode.  

I gotta hand it to the virtual sets & the Unreal Engine driving it, reported $15 million per episode - worth every cent.

I know some were disappointed in the 'filler' episode of last week but it paid off for me at the beginning of this episode. Endearment comes with familiarity, and that takes time. I'm glad they spent the time in The Passenger to build the familiarity with Frog Lady (we don't have her name yet!).

Oh and the titular The Heiress in this episode, was badass!!!

Just now, ithanos said:

As someone who thought the best action scenes in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series couldn't be reproduced in live action for TV, I'm just gushing at this last episode.  

I gotta hand it to the virtual sets & the Unreal Engine driving it, reported $15 million per episode - worth every cent.

I know some were disappointed in the 'filler' episode of last week but it paid off for me at the beginning of this episode. Endearment comes with familiarity, and that takes time. I'm glad they spent the time in The Passenger to build the familiarity with Frog Lady (we don't have her name yet!).

Oh and the titular The Princess in this episode, was badass!!!

Heiress, which makes sense in the context.

That was indeed awesome. 

Was anyone from Deadwood in season one? If they can get McShane to play some seedy underworld type I'll be so happy. 

Edit: spoilers for rebels.

So if Ahsoka's just chillin on some planet presumably she and Sabine found Ezra? I wonder why Sabine wasn't one of the mandalorians in this episode.

6 hours ago, Poobah said:

Very fun episode, definitely hyped for the next!

Hide contents

I agree that it's a little strange that it seemed fairly common knowledge in season 1 but at the same time I suppose you can argue that the galaxy is a big place and I guess his cell was very active in the little area he was in.

Still it's really nice to see characters coming in from Clone Wars/Rebels and kicking ass.

One thing that also seemed odd to me... since when is the imperial (or rather remnant or whatever) fleet a death cult? Generally I've seen imperial officers seen as somewhere on the bully / authoritarian / fascist spectrum not as the kind of fanatics that would suicide for a cause.

It might only be Moff Godwin’s people who are the fanatics, he seems the sort of person who would recruit such types

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Can we assume anyone reading the thread on a Friday has seen it? Spoiler tags just get a bit annoying. It comes out everywhere simultaneously anyway.

Nope, I see it on Saturdays, but I like coming already in advance to see non-spoilery emotional reactions :) If an episode is disappointing, I'm usually not as let down as if I had seen it cold. If an episode is really great, the hype helps build anticipation :hat: 

Like having confirmation that the Mando's group is an ultra-orthodox splinter sect who split from the rest. It was weird that people didn't accept that even though all of the Clone Wars Mando stuff was still canon so it's not like different Madno groups with different beliefs is a new concept. But then I remember when SWTOR came out people shouted at me for the concept of playing a non-Mandalor aligned Mandalorian player character. Because apparently all Mandalorians must think the same... then of course the game included multiple Mando clans not affiliated with the Mandalore and Empire. I was gracious enough not to head back to that thread and laugh in people's faces.

(same kind of reasoning applies to the imperials btw, at their point they're all basically under different warlords, how they work can change a lot depending on who is in charge)

One thing is that I'm surprised the armour isn't treated as airtight. Like logically it can't be given we've seen the helmet is just a helmet with no under layer for sealing, but the usually doesn't stop these kind of armours being treated as such.

And I'm still very impressed how good everything looks, even in show with a good budget things like armour often looks fake as hell, but not here.

Other shows are starting to use the kind of techniques The Mandalorian pioneered right? Cause damn.

Fight scenes were great, and I like how the Mando was just slightly not able to keep up, reminder that he's a good fighter but he's not super experienced and he's not used to fighting alongside other people.

Funny how the thing Bo-Katan wants is something the Mando could tell her about, but she just had to be a dick instead. Like really what was the point of that except for it prevented the Mando from talking about his dealings with Moth Gideon?

12 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I don't think Mando can tell anyone about the darksaber, because he wasn't there to see it. Only we (the audience) got to see Gideon use it, and that was as he escaped his TIE. 

No, but then any information on Gideon would be useful I'm sure.

Spoiler

So if Ahsoka is hanging out on some other planet... who was the Ahsoka live action look-a-like in the totally obvious Jedi robe when he first got off the ship???

Episode was awesome and I agree that part of the payoff was the time spent last episode.  Watching the totally not Yoda child eat all the eggs last week and then I kept waiting all episode for him to make a go at another one, and then...  Awwwwww, look, he's petting the baby frog analogue!

Fun episode.  I liked it.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:
  Hide contents

So if Ahsoka is hanging out on some other planet... who was the Ahsoka live action look-a-like in the totally obvious Jedi robe when he first got off the ship???

Episode was awesome and I agree that part of the payoff was the time spent last episode.  Watching the totally not Yoda child eat all the eggs last week and then I kept waiting all episode for him to make a go at another one, and then...  Awwwwww, look, he's petting the baby frog analogue!

I thought that was Dawson for a second too, but it had to be that other mandalorian with Bo-Katan.

39 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought that was Dawson for a second too, but it had to be that other mandalorian with Bo-Katan.

Ah.  Could have been.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:
  Hide contents

That was the wrestler Sasha Banks, she was indeed one of the other two Mandos with Bo-Katan

Just now, Slurktan said:

Hide contents

That was the wrestler Sasha Banks, she was indeed one of the other two Mandos with Bo-Katan

Spoiler

That was Sasha Banks fool!!!!  (Said in my best Lil Penny voice.)

Seriously though... my son has had me watching Raw and Smackdown for the last few months, I didn't recognize her at all!  She was the other Mandalorian gal?????

Archived