The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

The whole idea of people accidentally bumping into each other in space is ridiculous in the first place. If you've not engaged your suspension of disbelief to the max, then it's probably better to not watch a Star Wars thingy.

"You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space"  - Douglas Adams

5 hours ago, unJon said:

Wow. I never thought of the Bespin sublight issue. Just poked around on the Internet and looks like this was retconned to flying on a backup hyperdrive, which was really slow. :dunno:

I prefer the idea that they just accelerated to near-lightspeed, and a journey of months seemed much shorter to them due to time dilation. That also solves the apparent discrepancy in amount of time passing on the Falcon and on Dagobah.

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Actually the part that bothered me was that there was a convenient planet the second things went south with the X-Wings. It’s a crutch that Star Trek does all the time, handy planet / nebula when the plot requires, despite space being 99.999....9999% empty.

The X-wing pilots were out on patrol. But why would anyone patrol the middle of nowhere in space? You patrol the regions close to planets where there is stuff you wish to protect.

I liked how committed they were to their jobs. 

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Also, don't you want stuff in your stories? Like places and maybe things?

To be fair, one of the first chapters in the generally beloved Thrawn Trilogy has Luke blowing out the hyperdrive of his X-Wing with an emergency jump and getting stranded helplessly in the utter emptiness of space, hoping that R2 can fix enough of the ship to limp somewhere safe before the Imperials find him. It made for a quite some claustrophobic drama.

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm with you.  I miss the days of TV with an episodic format with maybe hints of a grand overarching story.

Quantum Leap.  Highlander.  TNG.

Mandalorian is the content I'm here for.

add stargate shows to the list along with Buffy the vampire slayer as shows that were mostly episodic but with arching stories or DS9 and B5 which arguably kicked the whole trend off

I enjoyed the episode as I liked the different type of alien and it's reproductive cycle

although part of me would enjoy the twist that she has kidnapped someone else's eggs

. I also strongly suspect the child is actually helping with his "eating" of things and that

he'll save the day when the rest of the eggs appear to be lost

Lately I just find it hard not to imagine (or look up fan art) of the child in mandalorian armour and saying "the way, it is" all the time.

I enjoyed the episode. Clearly a step down from the first one, but not bad. As someone stated up thread, this series can basically be described as simple. It veers into stupidity and shallowness during its worst moments, but if they manage to keep the plot moving long enough that doesn't matter (hence why 1 was better than 2).

I wish it was something more than that, as I genuinely believe that Star Wars does have that capacity. Empire Strikes Back towers above the others for a reason, but I'm also not dissatisfied at the moment.  While the story is nothing to write home about, the VFX and the guest stars so far make me enjoy it more than season one.

Although I do wonder 

Spoiler

whether I'm also being kind because I just like Alien ripoffs. It's just a type of sci-fi horror I tend to enjoy, so perhaps I'm a bit lenient because of that.

5 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

Nailed it

That's funny. The latest episodes gave me lots of ideas for the campaign I'm mastering right now. Because we play via zoom these days, I reckon monster encounters will work fine and I don't need that much of a plot.

It wasn't a boring episode...seems like we saw the most movement and sound out of the child in general, so he doesn't seem like such an inanimate doll at times...but when it's just essentially him and Mando, well, things feel a little dull.  

And spiders? Did it have to be spiders?

On 11/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, Rhom said:

Agreed.  The episode (and the show in general) harkens back to the origins of SW in the weekly serials that Lucas took for inspiration.  It’s just dumb fun.  And by golly, it’s good at being what it is.

It is, and I know it's just a weekly adventure series, but this wasn't my favorite, Baby Yoda hijinx was fun, but overall just meh this week.

Then again I'm not a fan of extended action scenes, and this was two long action scenes. Still tuning in, obviously. Kinda wish the ship wasn't soooo torn up with fluids gushing and electrical fires all over the place. I know this is a weird place to draw my line, but that ship was busted.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:11 AM, red snow said:

I also strongly suspect the child is actually helping with his "eating" of things and that

Hide contents

he'll save the day when the rest of the eggs appear to be lost

I still say the kid is evil. He force choked someone, he uses force healing which seems like a dark side power (jedi never use it, palpatine talks about using the force to "prevent people from dying.")

and it'd just make Yoda that much cooler if he came from a race of evil gremlins who eat whatever and whoever they can.

11 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

It is, and I know it's just a weekly adventure series, but this wasn't my favorite, Baby Yoda hijinx was fun, but overall just meh this week.

Then again I'm not a fan of extended action scenes, and this was two long action scenes. Still tuning in, obviously. Kinda wish the ship wasn't soooo torn up with fluids gushing and electrical fires all over the place. I know this is a weird place to draw my line, but that ship was busted.

I would argue that its three action sequences... :lol: 

The opening ambush... the space dogfight... the ice spiders.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I still say the kid is evil. He force choked someone, he uses force healing which seems like a dark side power (jedi never use it, palpatine talks about using the force to "prevent people from dying.")

and it'd just make Yoda that much cooler if he came from a race of evil gremlins who eat whatever and whoever they can.

Do you have children? They put EVERYTHING in their mouths! 

I also like the first episode more, and I like the western feel that it had, also liked the music in it. Ep 2 was a little less enjoyable. I think the blatant Alien rip off took me out of the episode a little bit. As to the eggs, as soon as he saw them you knew he was eating them.

Also, still loving the still frames at the end. There have been a few that I would but and hang on a wall.

The spiders were first created for Empire Strikes Back, but Lucas never used them. An ice spider appears in an artbook. It was originally envisioned for Luke to have an encounter with the spider on Dagobah. Filoni used such spiders in an episode of Rebels.

https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-disney-plus-ice-spiders-explained/

So even if Alien still precedes all this, but barely, I would not call it an Alien ripoff. After all, they are just giant spiders, not xenomorphs bursting out of people's chests.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The spiders were first created for Empire Strikes Back, but Lucas never used them. An ice spider appears in an artbook. It was originally envisioned for Luke to have an encounter with the spider on Dagobah. Filoni used such spiders in an episode of Rebels.

https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-disney-plus-ice-spiders-explained/

So even if Alien still precedes all this, but barely, I would not call it an Alien ripoff. After all, they are just giant spiders, not xenomorphs bursting out of people's chests.

The fact that so many people had the same thought kind of lends credibility to it.

Archived