The Mandalorian: This Is The Way to Season 2

Corvinus85

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The fact that so many people had the same thought kind of lends credibility to it.

Yes, but plenty of people were likely ignorant of what I had just written, and naturally gravitated to something they knew better.

58 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The fact that so many people had the same thought kind of lends credibility to it.

The same was true when the Stallone Judge Dredd came out with many comments on the character design being a ripoff of RoboCop - including by Gene Siskel.  Commonality =/= validity.  

45 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

That said, a big egg chamber hatching just as the heroes get there and then they set off a big scary whatever is pretty Alien-like. 

Would it have been set off if the Child had not eaten one though?

Very Leeroy Jenkins-ish

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Would it have been set off if the Child had not eaten one though?

Very Leeroy Jenkins-ish

Dunno! But that's also super Alieny, with people looking at the egg and getting close and then getting facehugged. 

This show is also incredibly non-rewatchable in a way that star wars movies are not. Clone Wars and Rebels were a lot like that too; there are certain eps that are super awesome, but the overwhelming majority is filler. It's a lot prettier filler this time than Rebels, but it's still super super slow.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yes, but plenty of people were likely ignorant of what I had just written, and naturally gravitated to something they knew better.

But that is the point. 90% */-  of normal Star Wars fans wouldn't know that, therefor they all see it and think Alien. Especially since it just happens to open up as he approaches it. 

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

But that is the point. 90% */-  of normal Star Wars fans wouldn't know that, therefor they all see it and think Alien. Especially since it just happens to open up as he approaches it. 

You need to re-watch the scene. It does open up similar to an Alien egg, but the child opens it up. He starts ramming his hands in it, and it eventually peels open.

9 hours ago, Gertrude said:

It is, and I know it's just a weekly adventure series, but this wasn't my favorite, Baby Yoda hijinx was fun, but overall just meh this week.

Then again I'm not a fan of extended action scenes, and this was two long action scenes. Still tuning in, obviously. Kinda wish the ship wasn't soooo torn up with fluids gushing and electrical fires all over the place. I know this is a weird place to draw my line, but that ship was busted.

This.

I have no issues with the idea of the weekly serial concept. But do some of these episodes have to be so extendingly dull?

The concept of the Mandalorian not taking his helmet off either? Feels old now too. So many of these scenes with just him and the child or him and one other can go without dialog for to long and not seeing his facial expressions during the stress times makes things feel too...safe...?

I love this show, because I don't mind at all tuning out and just watching some space battles and big aliens. 

I thought the Western pastiche was pretty great last season, and didn't mind some pretty corny dialogue here and there. Flat characters are irrelevant when I'm just there for what they look and sound like anyways, right! Anyways, I rather thought they'd keep the Western feel of the first season, but have a bit more depth this season. Judging by the cornier-than-ever dialogue and sets so far, Favreau really is going all in on this 50's episodic thing, eh? I bet the last four or so episodes will be a more connected arc.

I wish it were written, oh, I don't know, retro and fun but not quite, *so* retro. I find myself consistently rolling my eyes every conversation, which I didn't find myself doing in the first season. C'est la vie, I'll stay tuned to this mindless Friday matinee. What 50 foot tall creature will he battle next week! Bring your popcorn! Just don't try to make sense of, like, anything of course.

3 hours ago, Killjoybear said:

That said, a big egg chamber hatching just as the heroes get there and then they set off a big scary whatever is pretty Alien-like. 

Really that's just a standard cliche. What you gonna do, show a bunch of eggs and not have them hatch?

6 hours ago, Killjoybear said:

Admittedly, I found that surprisingly realistic given that pretty much the exact same thing happened to me once. I tried to relocate a spider egg sac I found in the corner of my window and the moment I picked it up all the tiny little spiders hatched at once hurrying away. I assumed it was some kind of defense mechanism.

6 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I love this show, because I don't mind at all tuning out and just watching some space battles and big aliens. 

Same. Honestly this show is exactly the comfort blanket we need right now.

So far I agree with those who think this is a bit of a deterioration from S1. The first season had a better balance between monster-of-the-week and an overarching storyline/villain, as well as more character development.

I'm still enjoying the show a lot, but in a mildly embarrassing Western / Star Wars fanboy kind of way. I may or may not have squealed when Seth Bullock walked into the bar and I could recognize him from his gait alone...

Random: did the Frog lady remind anyone of Chrono Trigger?

The one element that does give me pause about the slow plot on the show is that there aren't very many episodes. If there are only 10 (not sure if that's the case, but certainly not 22), then we'll be over a 1/4 the way through the season this Friday without much progression in terms of finding the Yodi. 

45 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

The one element that does give me pause about the slow plot on the show is that there aren't very many episodes. If there are only 10 (not sure if that's the case, but certainly not 22), then we'll be over a 1/4 the way through the season this Friday without much progression in terms of finding the Yodi. 

It's not even 10 as I understand it! Eight episodes - the same as S1. 

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

So far I agree with those who think this is a bit of a deterioration from S1. The first season had a better balance between monster-of-the-week and an overarching storyline/villain, as well as more character development.

I'm still enjoying the show a lot, but in a mildly embarrassing Western / Star Wars fanboy kind of way. I may or may not have squealed when Seth Bullock walked into the bar and I could recognize him from his gait alone...

Random: did the Frog lady remind anyone of Chrono Trigger?

What about Dan from Deadwood being the bartender? I understand that it was him.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, Rhom said:

I would argue that its three action sequences... :lol: 

The opening ambush... the space dogfight... the ice spiders.

The opening ambush wasn't extended though. It was there, it was quick, it had stakes (Baby Yoda) and it had a humorous punchline. This is an action scene I can get behind.

Well, well, well, things are moving now. The shortest episode, but probably with the richest lore, several good guest stars, and another interesting setting, different from what we've seen so far on the show.

Spoiler

Excellent to see Bo-Katan in live action, and I loved the twist with Mando's creed, that it was a lie he was brainwashed to believe. Opportunity for further character development and seeing more of Pascal's face.

Next up, hopefully: Ahsoka Tano!!!

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Excellent to see Bo-Katan in live action, and I loved the twist with Mando's creed, that it was a lie he was brainwashed to believe. Opportunity for further character development and seeing more of Pascal's face.

Next up, hopefully: Ahsoka Tano!!!

Spoiler

Well, I didn't took it as a lie, but rather that his group was an extremist splinter cult of the Mandalorians. Which... I kinda called from the very beginning of this show, but there is still the nasty feeling of retcon hovering above all of this. What with every random bystander he met in season 1 somehow knowing that all Mandos are peculiar about their helmets, despite it now being very clear that the vast majority of them doesn't.

Archived