UK Politics: Life in the Johnsonian Dystopia

Tywin Manderly

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

This bit of news escaped me but the 21 year old girl who was reported to have died a victim of Covid 19 probably didn’t die because of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/chloe-middleton-death-21-year-old-not-recorded-nhs-covid-19-related

Lol, now the Guardian is a useful news source to you?

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Lol, now the Guardian is a useful news source to you?

I read the Guardian, just like I make sure to read a number of news resources from across the political aisle. It’s important to  not get locked in your bubbles and only by  jumping around can you spot where news isn’t being reported in a neutral way but there is a layer of activism added.

The Guardian is a very well laid out website and less spammy than many others, and I go to it often for the news.

It is also quite often more interested in changing the world than reporting on it. One of my friends has gone to work there now and her motivation was to ‘make a difference’ which highlights how people who work at the Guardian think of themselves.

Lets not forget its opinion section is world famous for being meme worthy and almost beyond parody these days, where you could generate headlines which seem utterly ludicrous but you couldn’t tell the difference between made up ones and the real thing.

Its fine to read it, but like all news it’s good to spot the things it’s focussing on, and the things it’s ignoring and not telling you 

54 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I read the Guardian, just like I make sure to read a number of news resources from across the political aisle. It’s important to  not get locked in your bubbles and only by  jumping around can you spot where news isn’t being reported in a neutral way but there is a layer of activism added.

The Guardian is a very well laid out website and less spammy than many others, and I go to it often for the news.

It is also quite often more interested in changing the world than reporting on it. One of my friends has gone to work there now and her motivation was to ‘make a difference’ which highlights how people who work at the Guardian think of themselves.

Lets not forget its opinion section is world famous for being meme worthy and almost beyond parody these days, where you could generate headlines which seem utterly ludicrous but you couldn’t tell the difference between made up ones and the real thing.

Its fine to read it, but like all news it’s good to spot the things it’s focussing on, and the things it’s ignoring and not telling you 

Um, isn't that why everyone who becomes a journalist does so?

2 minutes ago, ants said:

Um, isn't that why everyone who becomes a journalist does so?

She’s not a journalist, just works for the organisation. 

But no, I suspect some people might just like writing or telling stories. Not being able to differentiate between reporting facts and activism is real problem in journalism right now, on all sides.

that's because the notion of 'objective' journalism is a recent invention--and it is thoroughly a matter of false consciousness. descriptive statements are always already founded on normative evaluations in way that minces up ayer's logical positivism; editorial decisions are similarly always taken in selecting what gets reported and in how it is framed. 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

But no, I suspect some people might just like writing or telling stories. Not being able to differentiate between reporting facts and activism is real problem in journalism right now, on all sides.

As someone having studied under actual experts and having dabbled in that kind of shit, I can tell you that reporting "facts" can be a far worse problem than "telling stories." Facts make sense when connected to one another within a given context and hardly do without a coherent narrative to analyse them. Focusing on "facts" alone, supposedly because it is more "objective," is actually an excellent way to hide what is happening.
In this respect, I personally think daily news focusing on "facts" easily devolve into useless sensationalism while monthly papers offering analyses can be "journalism" worthy of the name.
A different way to put it is that your vision of "journalism" is far more biased than you seem to realize. Though given your comments about The Guardian and your reference to memes I would assume that you are yourself part of a very specific political movement, whether you are aware of it or not.

@Rippounet Thanks for the post, duly noted. 

59 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

A different way to put it is that your vision of "journalism" is far more biased than you seem to realize. Though given your comments about The Guardian and your reference to memes I would assume that you are yourself part of a very specific political movement, whether you are aware of it or not.

I am however pretty aware of my biases, they become more exaggerated on here often in response to people I consider to have quite extreme viewpoints, but that is the nature of the internet.

Having a quick easy stab at the Guardian around here is easy enough because I'm sure there are many on this board who would read Guardian opinion pieces and feel energised and chin strokingly happy. Me, I find them to be 9/10 times the mad ravings of an angry child. 

We all need to be aware of the biases in the stuff we read. I rage at the Guardian so much because I would have thought it was obvious to any idiot that the Daily Mail or the Torygraph have obvious agendas and spout rubbish most of the time. But I think it's less obvious to your average younger person that the Guardian has an agenda , probably because if you agree with that agenda you don't see it as a problem. That my friend joined them because she saw it as a way to make a positive political change in the country is very telling. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Having a quick easy stab at the Guardian around here is easy enough because I'm sure there are many on this board who would read Guardian opinion pieces and feel energised and chin strokingly happy. Me, I find them to be 9/10 times the mad ravings of an angry child. 

Sounds like you're trying to troll then.

You also speak like a Delingpole fan.

I read the Guardian online because I like their way of reporting. Much better than what we get around here. If at all, I feel they are too conservative in many points, which should tell you something...

Anyway, I'm shocked to agree with HoI to some extend. Their opinion pieces are often very outlandish and it feels as if the columnists are living on a different planet. There is very often a lot of wishful thinking involved.

Archived