UK Politics: Life in the Johnsonian Dystopia

Tywin Manderly

Deaths way up, although it was perhaps wishful thinking that we’d started to flatten out the case numbers without a corresponding rise in deaths lagging behind. The other stats are a little better, growth is still generally flattening, positive percentage of tests is about the same, more tests (but still not enough).

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Deaths way up, although it was perhaps wishful thinking that we’d started to flatten out the case numbers without a corresponding rise in deaths lagging behind. The other stats are a little better, growth is still generally flattening, positive percentage of tests is about the same, more tests (but still not enough).

I saw some speculation in the Guardian that the death stats are varying up and down so much from day to day because hospitals are reporting them at different intervals. They said that some of the deaths reported today happened up to a week ago.

2 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I saw some speculation in the Guardian that the death stats are varying up and down so much from day to day because hospitals are reporting them at different intervals. They said that some of the deaths reported today happened up to a week ago.

Yeah I also saw someone mention yesterday that deaths at home hadn't been tallied in some places but will now be added in.

I suppose it will come as no surprise to hear that the Tories have been lying to us. Again.

This time, the porkies are in relation to their dismal attempts at implementing of any kind of coherent testing regime.

They're now blaming the lack of tests on the unavailability of chemical reagents needed to make them. On Tuesday, Gove said this:

“We are increasing the number of tests. One of the constraints on our capacity to increase testing overall is supply of the specific reagents, the specific chemicals, that are needed in order to make sure that tests are reliable.”

Yet, according to Robert Peston, the UK Chemical Industries Association say there is no shortage of the required chemicals, and nobody from the Government has been in touch.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:17 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Patel announces an automatic 1 year extension to NHS staff visas. I'd tell her to shove it up her arse if it wasnt open ended.

What do you mean open ended? Just curious

https://ballymenadaily.com/local-news/ballymena-dup-councillor-embroiled-in-controversy-after-claiming-coronavirus-was-a-judgement-from-god-linked-to-same-sex-marriage-and-changes-to-abortion-laws/

Ballymena DUP councillor embroiled in controversy after claiming coronavirus was a ‘judgment from God’ linked to same sex marriage and changes to abortion laws

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Ugh. 

Coincidentally, I saw my first religious nut preacher of the epidemic today too. Preaching pretty much the same thing as this, but more alarmingly he was also approaching people and trying to touch them because ‘Jesus will protect you from the virus if you are righteous.’ 

I turned and walked the other way to avoid him. There were a couple of officers hurrying up the street towards him when i left the area.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ugh. 

Coincidentally, I saw my first religious nut preacher of the epidemic today too. Preaching pretty much the same thing as this, but more alarmingly he was also approaching people and trying to touch them because ‘Jesus will protect you from the virus if you are righteous.’ 

I turned and walked the other way to avoid him. There were a couple of officers hurrying up the street towards him when i left the area.

I hope he gets charged. 

Has anyone noticed fewer birds at their bird feeders? I have one sunflower seed feeder in my tiny yard, which normally gets regular visits from a couple of blackbirds and small tweety brown things. I'm wondering if the retreat of humans has encouraged birds to go and forage in areas they'd normally avoid. 

Last day of "working from home" today for two weeks, thank Jeebus. It's been a fairly demoralizing experience of digital presenteeism, made worse by reading posts from people in the manager class singing the benefits of working-from-home. It's a trivial complaint in these times, I know. And in another job I'd be fine at working from home, just not this one. :bang:

10 minutes ago, ants said:

I was wondering how the birds that scavenge trash and get fed are doing.  So pigeons, some ducks, seagulls, etc.  

I saw this on the BBC recently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-52106709 

I imagine that ducks who rely on people giving them food will be okay - I bet a lot of people go and feed them as part of their daily exercise. But pigeons and seagulls could have more problems. Pity :( I'm one of the few people I know that likes seagulls. Especially big beautiful herring gulls. 

My seed feeder is still getting plenty, though it always drops off at this time of year - it's the womrmeal feeder that typically empties within an hour, but is still full from the weekend top-up.

Generally, the wildlife is loving it; many fewer squished toads / hedgehogs on the roads (bad for those carrion feeders - but they'll more than make up for it with all the panic-bought food that's being thrown away); even this, which is unheard of, in my housing estate last weekend:

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The courts seem to be playing ball with corona linked crimes and sentencing at least. 6-12 months for coughing at officers for example. 

Yeah they seem to be giving (justifiably) harsh sentences. I was reading about one woman who spat at some supermarket workers, claiming she had Coronavirus after they had tried to order her from the store for being drunk and disorderly. 

Sometimes I'm disgusted by people

Lack of testing for NHS staff a big problem, as it would stop the need for so many having to needlessly self-isolate. Our original contingency plan for my wife (nurse) was that if she was exposed to an infected patient, she would move into my Mum's for a week or two, as at that time my Mum was staying with my sister. Unfortunately my Mum got a temperature and cough (temperature only lasted a couple of days thankfully), but she's now self-isolating at home. My wife's now decided if she has to stay away from me and our daughter, she'll stay in the attic. Not ideal. I'd have to leave food etc for her at the bottom of the stairs, and wipe down the bathroom whenever she uses it. 

I see the banks are catching flak for not helping enough small/mid-sized businesses. In some cases they're wanting assets designated as collateral or trying to charge 30% interest rates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52143673

I'm technically working from home, and got a letter from the government basically telling me to stay in due to being vulnerable (immune suppressed). Unfortunately I'm police staff, and they don't have nearly enough laptops. My current role isn't too urgent but I've offered to help my previous dept. My old boss is desperate for the help but the rules won't allow me to use my own laptop for Excel work, which is a pity. She's put in an urgent service request but still waiting. On the other hand, on advice of GP I stopped my meds couple weeks ago and had a blood test two days ago, so I may no longer be immune-suppressed in which case if it was deemed essential, I could go back in once GP has certified me. 

Meanwhile I've been catching up on my PS4 (barely touched in the 18 months since birth of daughter) and doing some writing. Less than I'd hoped; I've had to research camel caravans, in particular the Trans-Saharan Caravan Route. Also been trying to promote my published books, but the lockdown doesn't seem to have helped, surprisingly. I've been struggling to even gift kindle copies of my first two books!

Got a tele-conference with work in 20 mins, will see what the craic is.

Archived