UK Politics: Life in the Johnsonian Dystopia

Tywin Manderly

Now the UK is getting into the big numbers (684 deaths in a day, hospital deaths only) i'll be interested to watch the change in approval rating for the government (though it has already shown clear signs of moving away from support).

The first new emergency hospital seems to have been completed now, it's good that at least one of the projects seems to have been on schedule even if the testing and equipment targets seem to be a long way from being met.

In other news, I'm sure we're all on tenterhooks waiting for the result of the Labour leadership election tomorrow. I know the unfortunate timing isn't their fault but it does feel like it's been going on for an eternity.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

The first new emergecny hospital seems to have been completed now, it's good that at least one of the projects seems to have been on schedule even if the testing and equipment targets seem to be a long way from being met.

In other news, I'm sure we're all on tenterhooks waiting for the result of the Labour leadership election tomorrow. I know the unfortunate timing isn't their fault but it does feel like it's been going on for an eternity.

I had almost forgotten this was even going on with everything thats been happening. Bit surprised it wasn’t postponed

It felt so strange this morning turning on the radio and hearing the presenters asking politicians for their views of the Labour leadership candidates. Like opening up a doorway between dimensions and stepping briefly back into normal life.

11 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Unsurprising but still disappointing

Ok I actually take that back, on the face of it, Nandy was the only one of the 3 I would ever consider voting for, she seems to have her head screwed on just a touch more. RLB is a literal nightmare 

16 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I can't say I'm particularly excited about Starmer but, on the plus side, he's a significant improvement on Corbyn.

He is the one that has the best chance of winning. Thats all I care about now after being on the losing side of every election for about 10 years. 

He's got a tricky tightrope to walk in the immediate future as he has to keep as much as he can of the Corbyn support on board while discreetly throwing Corbyn himself under the bus to bring the media and more mainstream observers on board (something he already started on with his immediate statement on anti-semitism, a necessary action and the right one but clearly a calculated response to what happened with Corbyn). He also has to call the government to account for coronavirus mistakes without appearing to be needlessly disruptive in times of strife.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I had almost forgotten this was even going on with everything thats been happening. Bit surprised it wasn’t postponed

Having a leader of the opposition who isn't a lame duck on his way out is important to hold the government to account and the announcement can be done virtually so I think it's reasonable not to delay. Ideally, it would have been concluded before the crisis started but it's not something they could reasonably have anticipated.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

He's got a tricky tightrope to walk in the immediate future as he has to keep as much as he can of the Corbyn support on board while discreetly throwing Corbyn himself under the bus to bring the media and more mainstream observers on board (something he already started on with his immediate statement on anti-semitism, a necessary action and the right one but clearly a calculated response to what happened with Corbyn).

I question the presumption that this is something he should want to do. The only way to bring the media and mainstream observers on board is to wholeheartedly adopt a neoliberal line. Maybe that is what he wants to do. He absolutely needs to have a better strategy than Corbyn for dealing with the press, but treating them as potential allies would be worrying. If he has the mainstream media on-side, it will be because they recognise that he represents absolutely no threat to the existing balance of power in the country, something that we should not want to be true of the Labour leader.

We’ll see how he’s going about things when he hands out the Shadow Cabinet jobs. I assume he’s going to present himself as a unifier and so all the leadership challengers will get roles - the big question will be how many of the centrists who wouldn’t work with Corbyn will he bring back - Yvette Cooper, Hilary Benn and suchlike.

Archived