UK Politics: Life in the Johnsonian Dystopia

Tywin Manderly

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

You only think that because people from Sunderland never get on the TV. 

Well, to be honest, I actually think the answer is Scousers, but they're suffering enough at the moment.*

*Not really.

3 hours ago, dog-days said:

One thing that keeps striking me is how different the experience of lockdown is for different parts of the country. I live in a town in mid Wales. Sometimes I can hear sheep bleating from my doorstep. In theory, I could cycle all day along country lanes and have to try quite hard to come within two metres of anyone, because there are so few people about. (Before I get yelled at, I don't actually do this). I think on the whole it's much tougher for Londoners and to a lesser degree for people from Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds etc. I've seen it suggested that golf courses should be pressured/ordered to open themselves to the public. That could take some pressure off the parks. 

I think people in urban areas need to think carefully when choosing where to go for a walk. In these times the priority is safety, not what's the most pleasant place for a stroll. If there is a nearby park or nice walk that is suitable then great - there's a common about 5 minutes walk from my house which is large enough that it's easy to stay much more than 2 metres away from others (at least given the number of people I've seen there) by walking off the paths where necessary. On the other hand in normal times one of the nicest walks around here is to follow the towpath around the river, but I'm avoiding it for now because there's barely enough space to pass someone and it's not possible to leave the path. In urban areas walking along quiet residential streets is perhaps often a better option than a park because with some zigzagging across the road it's usually possible to avoid getting within 2 metres of others.

If there's nowhere suitable around, and that might be true in some very densely populated areas, then maybe people will have to give up on outdoor exercise, it's unfortunate but perhaps the only safe option.

48 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Well, to be honest, I actually think the answer is Scousers

That's not an accent, it's a speech impediment....

... oh, sheeeeet, sorry. I've been in lockdown with my beer too long. Much as Scouse grates my nerves, I must remember what happened to The Sun... and Boris....

27 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Clearly none of you have ever heard the Black Country accent.

But Black Country isn't that bad.... compared to Wolverhampton ^_^

Scouse accents are pretty varied. There's the very thick inner-city kind with quite a strong "ch" sound, but also lighter varieties. Roger McGough has a really nice one. I have a bit of an ancestral one that appears from time to time. 

Boris Johnson's been admitted to hospital. 

ETA: Triskele beat me to it - shouldn't have stopped to go off on one about talking Scouse! 

It appears Johnson's only in for tests though - he hasn't suddenly taken a turn for the worse. 

6 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Roger McGough has a really nice one

Yeah, you're right, I could listen to him all day...

9 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Boris Johnson's been admitted to hospital. 

Oh, shit, so that means Raab is in command????  It's hard to find anyone I trust less than Boris, but Raab is one of them.....

15 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Yeah, you're right, I could listen to him all day...

Oh, shit, so that means Raab is in command????  It's hard to find anyone I trust less than Boris, but Raab is one of them.....

Reporting says Johnson is still in charge but Raab expected to chair a Covid-19 meeting tomorrow morning.

So, not in charge then. 

35 minutes ago, dog-days said:

It appears Johnson's only in for tests though - he hasn't suddenly taken a turn for the worse. 

I'll be honest I don't believe that for a second. Nothing we've been told about the tests suggests you need to overnight in the hospital for them to be administered, and in any case he was already positive, so what are they testing him for?

At best it's almost certainly a precuationary measure in the sense that the pattern has been that if symptoms persist for this long they tend to dramatically worsen after ten days, which is the mark he is hitting, so they've got him there already in case he does deteriorate.

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'll be honest I don't believe that for a second. Nothing we've been told about the tests suggests you need to overnight in the hospital for them to be administered, and in any case he was already positive, so what are they testing him for?

At best it's almost certainly a precuationary measure in the sense that the pattern has been that if symptoms persist for this long they tend to dramatically worsen after ten days, which is the mark he is hitting, so they've got him there already in case he does deteriorate.

Wonder if they'll x-ray his lungs, look for signs of pneumonia. But yes, as everyone has said - Raab. 

That guy has serial killer eyes. 

Archived