UK Politics: Life in the Johnsonian Dystopia

Tywin Manderly

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'll be honest I don't believe that for a second. Nothing we've been told about the tests suggests you need to overnight in the hospital for them to be administered, and in any case he was already positive, so what are they testing him for?

Oh, plenty of things - lung function, exercise tolerance, imaging, comorbidities...

9 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Uh, Raab. It would make more sense to put Hancock in charge in the PM's absence .

TBH, the only person who'd be a worse choice than Raab to take over would be Grayling!

But yes, during a health emergency, the minister of state for health seems the obvious choice.

I suspect BJ is finding Operation Last Gasp less amusing than he did a couple of weeks ago.

And God help Jeremy Hunt if he needs hospital. For pain relief and oxygen assistance, he’d probably be given paracetamol and directed to an open window.

Never seen my wife so worried about her job, almost resigned. She’s got a blow-up mattress in the attic in case she comes into contact with an infected patient, saying she’ll stay up there for a week save for bathroom trips.

She also says her dept only has surgical masks (which aren’t very effective at protecting the wearer, they’re to protect the patients being operated on). Last night she told me if anythibg happens to her, I’ve to sue the NHS for the poor workspace safety measures.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Oh, plenty of things - lung function, exercise tolerance, imaging, comorbidities...

I have this recurring image of Boris, one of those heavy duty oxygen masks on his face, giving the V sign like Churchill.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

She also says her dept only has surgical masks (which aren’t very effective at protecting the wearer, they’re to protect the patients being operated on). Last night she told me if anythibg happens to her, I’ve to sue the NHS for the poor workspace safety measures.

There is clearly blame, not sure it's on the NHS though. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

There is clearly blame, not sure it's on the NHS though. 

Yeah. She’d normally be of the opinion sueing the NhS is counterproductive. A sign of her frustration. Plus the NHS is her employer and they’re failing their duty of care (albeit failed in turn by the government)

2 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Ed Miliband is back.

Probably a good idea. Labour could do with some recognisable figures on the front bench and he's associated with the left of the party without being particularly tied to Corbyn.

It turns out that the local hospital trust has had 43 deaths so far, which is sobering (although out of a combined population of around 350,000 between Colchester and Ipswich).

19 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Ed Miliband is back.

Nothing for Jess Philips though, which is a bit of a surprise.

The new shadow cabinet already appears a great deal stronger then it was, which is good news. I suspect Philips may have declined a post after being targeted by trolls so thoroughly; as one of the more recognisable Labour figures, I would have been surprised if Starmer had not at least considered her for one role or another.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I suspect BJ is finding Operation Last Gasp less amusing than he did a couple of weeks ago.

And God help Jeremy Hunt if he needs hospital. For pain relief and oxygen assistance, he’d probably be given paracetamol and directed to an open window.

Never seen my wife so worried about her job, almost resigned. She’s got a blow-up mattress in the attic in case she comes into contact with an infected patient, saying she’ll stay up there for a week save for bathroom trips.

Clarification: Almost resigned as in resigned to it going to shit, not resigned as in quitting.

Nicola Sturgeon now being criticised for initially defending Dr Calderwood and continuing to praise her after she stepped down.

What a curse it is to be able to appreciate nuance these days.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The new shadow cabinet already appears a great deal stronger then it was, which is good news. I suspect Philips may have declined a post after being targeted by trolls so thoroughly; as one of the more recognisable Labour figures, I would have been surprised if Starmer had not at least considered her for one role or another.

I said a few days ago I expected Starmer to give jobs to all the rival candidates, as a sign of party unity, so Philips being offered something and declining seems the likely explanation.

I think David Lammy is the other big recognisable name to have come into the front bench.

Archived