UK Politics: Life in the Johnsonian Dystopia

Tywin Manderly

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Aren’t households hosting someone in the vulnerable category entitled to priority home delivery? 

‘Cause I’m immune suppressed, I’m classed as such, and got a letter with various jnfo, advising me not to go out at al, and of vsrious schemes to get food etx delivered.

I’ve been off the meds for a few weeks and white cell count is hopefully back to normal so I’ve not used any of this (as likely to get  it from my nurse wife anyway than at the shops).

Albeit ny letter is from Scottish Government; should be the same though in England.

Unless the Westminster advice is which colour bin to chuck your dead into and which day of the week the council will collect it.

Yeah we have that in England, I know I can’t sign up to Sainsburys deliveries right now. I moved in with my elderly parent and am doing shopping for them and for my elderly family members elsewhere and I am not sure how you sign up for them, they have a way of identifying who is eligible. Doesn’t matter as I’m doing all their shopping anyway 

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah we have that in England, I know I can’t sign up to Sainsburys deliveries right now. I moved in with my elderly parent and am doing shopping for them and for my elderly family members elsewhere and I am not sure how you sign up for them, they have a way of identifying who is eligible. Doesn’t matter as I’m doing all their shopping anyway 

The CHI number I’m guessing, since that’s on the letter, and the vulnerable list came from the NHS

Edit: got txt from wife- she spent the morning getting fitted for a mask. And also will be kept on this afternoon and has been working every day if the long easter weekend (as well as before and after it). 

I almost had a panic attack thinking today was Sunday and I had another day alone at the mercy of my 19 month old. She’s now discovered thr concept of doors leading outside, and already harrangued me into two spells outside (when it was cold).

But thankfully she’s at nursery tomorrow and I can have a rest workjng from home :)

11 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Aren’t households hosting someone in the vulnerable category entitled to priority home delivery? 

‘Cause I’m immune suppressed, I’m classed as such, and got a letter with various jnfo, advising me not to go out at al, and of vsrious schemes to get food etx delivered.

I’ve been off the meds for a few weeks and white cell count is hopefully back to normal so I’ve not used any of this (as likely to get  it from my nurse wife anyway than at the shops).

Albeit ny letter is from Scottish Government; should be the same though in England.

Unless the Westminster advice is which colour bin to chuck your dead into and which day of the week the council will collect it.

My brother has a severe mental disability. He's on the highest level of PIP and in the ESA Support Group. Because I am his carer, I get a letter from the doctor every year, telling me to have my flu jab. Because of my role, I do not have to pay for this.

Yet, unfortunately, as far as the Government and Supermarkets are concerned, there are no mental disabilities that meet the criteria for classification as vulnerable. 

I have written to my MP, Bambos Charalambous, for help.

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So?

So, in this country, when things go to shit, those responsible usually try to blame somebody else.

When the bankers committed The Robbery of the Century in 2008, who got the blame?

Despite blanket news coverage, showing everyone it wos the bankers wot did it, in the following years, newspapers that you like to read decided to blame the misery of austerity on immigrants and benefit claimants and anyone else who was démon de jour.

And, lo and behold, a bunch of boneheaded, impressionable morons sucked that shit up, like a mange-ridden dog eating its own vomit. 

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

So, in this country, when things go to shit, those responsible usually try to blame somebody else.

When the bankers committed The Robbery of the Century in 2008, who got the blame?

Despite blanket news coverage, showing everyone it wos the bankers wot did it, in the following years, newspapers that you like to read decided to blame the misery of austerity on immigrants and benefit claimants and anyone else who was démon de jour.

And, lo and behold, a bunch of boneheaded, impressionable morons sucked that shit up, like a mange-ridden dog eating its own vomit. 

er.... ok then.. 

*backs away slowly* 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I agree the messaging on wearing face masks is all over the place and seems to be radically different from country to country,

This is the problem. I think the govt's communication throughout this has been woeful. In addition, as you've said the different guidelines on masks doesn't help - I'm sure people are aware of the CDC recommendation of wearing a cloth mask in places with significant community transmission - if people have read that, it's understandable that they've chosen to wear PPE even if they've been advised not to.

It's not great given the NHS is still consistently short of PPE.

In shocking developments, senior WHO Covid-19 guy, ignoring the advice of Westerios.org's army of armchair experts, advocates the wearing of face masks in public. Dr David Nabarro said today:

Because this virus isn't going to go away, and we don't know whether people who have had the virus stay immune afterwards and will not get it again.

We don't know when we will have a vaccine. So, what we are saying is get societies defended.

Yes, we will have to wear masks. Yes, there will have to be more physical distancing. Yes, we must protect the vulnerable.

Bah. Who needs experts?

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

In shocking developments, senior WHO Covid-19 guy, ignoring the advice of Westerios.org's army of armchair experts, advocates the wearing of face masks in public. Dr David Nabarro said today:

Bah. Who needs experts?

Did he say 'use PPE even if your countries medical staff cant get access to adequate supplies' though? 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Did he say 'use PPE even if your countries medical staff cant get access to adequate supplies' though? 

That's got nothing to do with it. The government flat out said it was too expensive to stockpile this stuff. If Matt Hancock wants, he can go onto Amazon and buy a few boxes of the gloves I bought myself the other day.

This entire conversation has basically been, "Why are you using this stuff? You're probably using it wrong and it won't protect you anyway. And while we're at it, your life isn't as important as someone who works in the NHS."

I've got nothing but love for the NHS, they saved my life, but the notion that their lives are worth more than mine, or my Mum's, is abhorrent.

Should I ignore the availability of gloves on Amazon, and FFP3 masks from Wickes, and risk my life and that of my Mum's by going down the shops bareback, just because we're governed by a bunch of incompetent, corrupt bastards? 

Is that what you're saying?

4 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

to be fair, most countries that require or encourage wearing masks don’t want you to wear PPE, just any kind of home-made face covering.

Which won't do jack shit if you walk into an enclosed space an hour after someone with Covid-19 has had a coughing fit. 

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Which won't do jack shit if you walk into an enclosed space an hour after someone with Covid-19 has had a coughing fit. 

The argument for mass usage of face masks doesn't really seem to be to protect you from someone else infecting you, it's to try and reduce the chances of you infecting a load of other people if you're infected.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The argument for mass usage of face masks doesn't really seem to be to protect you from someone else in infecting you, it's to try and reduce the chances of you infecting a load of other people if you're infected.

Look up FFP3 masks.

5 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

an hour? I thought the virus only stays up for a few minutes at the most. But anyway, it’s not to protect you, it’s to protect others from your coughing fit.

I'm no expert, but I've read that particles can be present in the air for much longer than an hour.

My anacdotal experince is that sick and coughing people are the ones not using masks and I understand people who use proper protection if it is avaliable to them. 

A lot of companies are using protective equipment to produce stuff that is not really necessary right now including drugs that are only used for doping,  additives that make egg yolk yellower and diet drugs that make you shit yourself if you eat too much fat. Those are just things I know about personally. Those companies donating their PPE stockpoiles would do a lot of good but yay capitalism I guess. 

44 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Bah. Who needs experts?

If this is directed at Isis, then 'armchair expert' is a totally inaccurate description. She actually does have professional expertise.

More to the point, this appears to be a reaction based on your own annoyance at feeling like you were told off than on the complexities of the issue at hand. (And that is a perception, I think, having read the posts.)

More light and less heat would be helpful.

My personal experience is that repeatedly over the last two weeks I've encountered people wearing a variety of types of mask that approach far too close to me, and my belief is that it's because they think the mask allows them to ignore social distancing. There is undoubtedly ignorance out there about what kinds of mask help and how. And the same is true to a lesser extent of gloves. It's a real concern.

Archived