The world after the pandemic

Altherion

33 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

:lmao:

What!?!

All kinds of people are being over panicked and, quite frankly, stupid about this situation. But this is by far the fucking weirdest take I've seen.

People are going to make their own soap? Get the fuck out of my country. Make my own soap! I'll personally drown every person in this hemisphere with a cough in soap before I curl a finger to manufacture it.

All of this said with the greatest affection, of course. I bear you no ill will. But... WOW!

There were a lot of DIY home improvements done by homeowners back in the 2008 recession, I had lots of work fixing stuff that people had tried to fix and fucked up for the next couple years.  Thanks, youtube.

That being said I have made my own laundry detergent several times to save $.

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

There were a lot of DIY home improvements done by homeowners back in the 2008 recession, I had lots of work fixing stuff that people had tried to fix and fucked up for the next couple years.  Thanks, youtube.

That being said I have made my own laundry detergent several times to save $.

COMMUNIST

I’m seeing a lot of talk about “forgiveness of all loans” (year of Jubilee) or suspension of the ability to enforce loans for a 12 month time frame.  Does anyone believe that the businesses that make such loans can continue to do so where the outstanding loans don’t have to be repaid?

If credit freezes up because loans cannot be enforced do we shift to a worldwide “cash on the barrel” economy?  How long would such a shift take and how many people would be put out of work by such a shift?  Is such a shift even possible?

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m seeing a lot of talk about “forgiveness of all loans” (year of Jubilee) or suspension of the ability to enforce loans for a 12 month time frame.  Does anyone believe that the businesses that make such loans can continue to do so where the outstanding loans don’t have to be repaid?

If credit freezes up because loans cannot be enforced do we shift to a worldwide “cash on the barrel” economy?  How long would such a shift take and how many people would be put out of work by such a shift?  Is such a shift even possible?

See my DIY video on Pitch Forks: Basic Maintenance and Debt Reform.

scot, likely modern debt relief jubilee would work like how the UK ended chattel slavery--purchase the assets and liberate them.  lenders could continue on with debtors who now have clean slates.  i suspect this is a better result for everyone than if all makers of notes in the next six months all go into default.  the loan servicers are already crying because the investors that own the notes on which the servicers collect want their ton of flesh.  they can all go bankrupt as far as i care--but that would mean that all the homeowners are bankrupt too and on the street.  who will buy the seized homes if everyone is fucked? 

i think y'all need to really rethink this capitalism-that-needs-bailed-out-by-the-public-every-ten-years thing.  it is manifestly not living up to the bourgeois textbook version--though of course it looks very familiar to the representation in the textbooks that i read.

I have no idea about the macro-level changes we'll see after all this is done, there's too many variables still. However, I do have a micro-level prediction that I feel pretty strongly about:

There's going to be a substantial increase in the popularity of facial hair.

Anecdotally, I've stopped shaving, most of my close male friends have stopped shaving, even my dad said he stopped shaving. And no one likes shaving in the first place. I think a lot of guys are going to decide they look alright with beards, and aren't going to start shaving again just because they can once again leave their homes.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

I have no idea about the macro-level changes we'll see after all this is done, there's too many variables still. However, I do have a micro-level prediction that I feel pretty strongly about:

Anecdotally, I've stopped shaving, most of my close male friends have stopped shaving, even my dad said he stopped shaving. And no one likes shaving in the first place. I think a lot of guys are going to decide they look alright with beards, and aren't going to start shaving again just because they can once again leave their homes.

I’ve gone the exact opposite way on this. I have to be on video calls every day and so don’t want to look like a scruffy hobo all the time. 

This is going to get worse as there is no way for me to have my haircut ( not letting my Mrs do it) so by the end of this I might look like a less pale model wargaming enthusiast 

18 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm in lockdown, and I'm still shaving. A combination of disliking the itchiness and not wanting to look like a Russian Orthodox Priest.

We will see a reshaping of the geo-political landscape. A lot of things are possible and it depends how the next three months are going. 

China presents itself as a true hyperpower and is gaining influence from Asia to Europe to Africa to Latin America. At the same time a Republican-led USA seems incapable. 

C19 truly is a epoch-defining landmark in history. Maybe on the same level as 28.06.1914. 

27 minutes ago, Arakan said:

China presents itself as a true hyperpower and is gaining influence from Asia to Europe to Africa to Latin America. At the same time a Republican-led USA seems incapable. 

It's been doing that for a while. It has also been putting out a huge PR campaign to try and cover for the fact that it's mostly to blame for the virus getting out in the first place... I say PR, it's basically propaganda. 

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I'm in lockdown, and I'm still shaving. A combination of disliking the itchiness and not wanting to look like a Russian Orthodox Priest.

Dunno about that. I'm aiming more for a Kenny Rogers circa 1975 look.

I did get a haircut right before everything started shutting down though. So I've got a while before that starts going wild.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's been doing that for a while. It has also been putting out a huge PR campaign to try and cover for the fact that it's mostly to blame for the virus getting out in the first place... I say PR, it's basically propaganda. 

Different aspects. PR? Yes. Real action? Yes. Chinese Equipment and Chinese doctors are on the ground. Be it Iran, the Balkans, Italy, Spain, Africa. You should deal with facts, not with your wishful thinking. China is from a geo-Strategic POV the biggest winner. The US under Republicans, especially Trump, loses on every front. But don’t listen to my word. Read „Foreign Affairs“. 

A hyperpower who seems incompetent, which Trump USA not only seems but is, is done. A hyperpower who cannot protect its own citizens even though it has the biggest economy in the world, is done. 

Just ask the Soviets. 

1 minute ago, Arakan said:

Different aspects. PR? Yes. Real action? Yes. Chinese Equipment and Chinese doctors are on the ground. Be it Iran, the Balkans, Italy, Spain, Africa. You should deal with facts, not with your wishful thinking. China is from a geo-Strategic POV the biggest winner. The US under Republicans, especially Trump, loses on every front. But don’t listen to my word. Read „Foreign Affairs“. 

A hyperpower who seems incompetent, which Trump USA not only seems but is, is done. Just ask the Soviets. 

Well how much do you trust a superpower who's 'wet markets' have led to numerous worldwide epidemics being released, that actively covered up the extent of the disease, that spreads disinformation around the world, locks down it's own internal information access, sends faulty equipment abroad? 

If anything China is going to have to do A LOT to repair its reputation after this is all over. The entire world is in lockdown, huge death toll, massive economic cost.. and everyone will be looking at China for blame. 

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well how much do you trust a superpower who's 'wet markets' have led to numerous worldwide epidemics being released, that actively covered up the extent of the disease, that spreads disinformation around the world, locks down it's own internal information access, sends faulty equipment abroad? 

If anything China is going to have to do A LOT to repair its reputation after this is all over. The entire world is in lockdown, huge death toll, massive economic cost.. and everyone will be looking at China for blame. 

What you write is mostly irrelevant. No one in the Balkans or Turkey or Iran gives a shit about this right now. 

Furthermore you write a lot of nonsense. MAGA and Brexiteer nonsense. Cover-up is overblown. Wuhan went into quarantine 23.01.2020. The gene sequence of the Virus was shared globally beginning of January. Initial fuck ups by the local Hubei authorities? Yes. Wet markets? Yes. 

That Trump spoke on 29.02.2020 of a Democratic hoax is not the fault of China. That the US government denied the severity of the situation until few weeks ago is not the fault of China. 
That the UK only tests 8k/day (last week 6k/day) is not the fault of China. 

Deal with reality. Reality is China acts since 23.01.2020 like a true hyperpower whereas the whole world (except Brexiteers and MAGAs) laughs about Trump. 

Furthermore, learn the difference between positive and normative statements. I don’t like the CCP, I despise them, but I will not blind myself with wishful thinking and stupidity. 

On 3/26/2020 at 4:26 PM, sologdin said:

scot, likely modern debt relief jubilee would work like how the UK ended chattel slavery--purchase the assets and liberate them.  lenders could continue on with debtors who now have clean slates.  i suspect this is a better result for everyone than if all makers of notes in the next six months all go into default.  the loan servicers are already crying because the investors that own the notes on which the servicers collect want their ton of flesh.  they can all go bankrupt as far as i care--but that would mean that all the homeowners are bankrupt too and on the street.  who will buy the seized homes if everyone is fucked? 

i think y'all need to really rethink this capitalism-that-needs-bailed-out-by-the-public-every-ten-years thing.  it is manifestly not living up to the bourgeois textbook version--though of course it looks very familiar to the representation in the textbooks that i read.

Is there any economic system that can avoid periodic confidence shocks that has any flexibility at all?

On 3/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, Fez said:

I’ve actually been shaving more frequently.

Archived