Targaryen loyalist

Mrstrategy

Well, there were a lot of loyalists, but those who remain loyalists are pretty few. Most of Dorne is probably made of loyalists due to Elia, and there may be some Reach houses that are still loyal to the Targs. The only named character that may still be a loyalists is Mathis Rowan, given some (not that many) textual evidence, and a significant amount of meta-textual evidence (given the scant prof we have he may be a Targ loyalist combined with his perfect position to defect to Aegon seems to indicate that he is indeed going to be the first Reach lord to turn cloak, followed by Tarly after Stormlands Agincourt)

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Willem Darry lived long enough to take care of Dany, but I don't know if he ever returned to Westeros or not.

Dany says that he died from a wasting illness when she was 5.

But in AFFC Jaime recalls how the Willem's family kept tapestries of the Targaryen kings hidden in Castle Darry. There must by at least a few other families that remain Targaryen loyalists in secret.

I'm sure there are a few. House Darry has been mentioned, though now it seems to have been 100% infested by the Freys, so who knows how that will go. Houses Goodbrook and Ryger both fought on the Targaryen side during the rebellion. So that's already three Houses.  

I think there are Houses that chose to follow their liege lord and fight against the Targaryens, but may have had and still have a soft spot for the Targaryens. Wyman Manderly's sort of outrage at the Frey "who bears a dragon's name" has always stood out to me as something more. 

I think we can look at the Reach Houses that chose to break away from Mace's decision to align himself with the Lannisters. I don't know that for instance the Fossoways are Targaryen loyalists, but they didn't seem interested in fighting for Joffrey. Jon Fossoway is married to Mace's sister. We don't really know why he made the choice he made. He doesn't have familial ties to Stannis like the Florents do. And he is not a storm lord where he was following a specific line of succession within House Baratheon. Ditto for the other Houses of the Reach that took up for Stannis.

The Houses of Crackclaw Point if we go by what Nimble Dick told Brienne. Bonifer Hasty and possibly his House. He was named Castellan of Harrenhal in AFfC, so Harrenhal may not remain in Lannister hands for much longer.  

13 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

Looking for names of Targaryen loyalist who survive Robert rebellion and avoided the wall.

Half if not more of the realm are loyalists. But then they gave in and were no longer a problem.  Robert can't kill half the realm. He needed to mend and get on with his rule. 

Jaremy Rykker and Alliser Thorne were both sent to the Wall for fighting for Aerys by Tywin after the Sack. Though I don’t know any thing about Thorne’s house and it appears House Rykker has sided with the Lannisters so far, since their lord is at Maidenpool with Randyll Tarly and Helman Tallhart marched on Duskendale during Robb’s campaign. However maybe when Aegon VI is declared they will side with him, since Aerys was the one who actually gave the Rykkers Duskendale in the first place.

Historically the Crownlands is meant to be of Targ loyalists, but that may have changed in recent times. The Lords of the Narrow Sea were meant to be loyalists, but they became loyal to Stannis and fought for him, even though he is a Baratheon. If Aegon VI espouses the Seven and binds the Faith to his cause, as some think he will do, then I think House Sunglass will go over to him. This is because their pious lord got burned by Stannis after criticising him for defacing the sept at Dragonstone and taking up Rhollor’s religion. Lord Celtigar seems like an opportunist, since he was with Stannis, but immediately after the Blackwater bent the knee to Tywin, so while Aegon’s star is rising Celtigar will probably be on his side.

These aren’t loyalists as such, only people I think may go over to Aegon for one reason or another

On 3/26/2020 at 8:25 AM, The hairy bear said:

Dany says that he died from a wasting illness when she was 5.

But in AFFC Jaime recalls how the Willem's family kept tapestries of the Targaryen kings hidden in Castle Darry. There must by at least a few other families that remain Targaryen loyalists in secret.

Key phrase "in secret"

We don't know how many and what percentage of the people remain loyal to the Targaryens.  Because they keep it "in secret" rather than advertise.  

On 3/26/2020 at 12:10 AM, Mrstrategy said:

Looking for names of Targaryen loyalist who survive Robert rebellion and avoided the wall.

Just about all avoided the wall. It just depended on who they were taken by. Tywin would send even brave and honorable men like Aliser to the wall. 

Tyrells, Hightowers, Martells, were all Targaryen supporters.

16 hours ago, CassDarry said:

Lord “Silver axe” Fell and Lord Gerold Grafton’s fathers both died fighting for the crown against the rebellion, maybe they would still be loyalists but not 100

I don't know about the Graftons as unlikely as it maybe.

But Fell was as Robert's fanboy as Edric was. It does not matter anyway. since he dead.

15 hours ago, frenin said:

I don't know about the Graftons as unlikely as it maybe.

But Fell was as Robert's fanboy as Edric was.

I agree. Robert turned a lot of loyalists to his side. Like when he won the three battles in a day he turned two of the lords to his side, one of which was captured by Randyll Tarly and executed, the other died of wounds sustained fighting for Robert on the Trident. The third lord was killed by Robert and his son was....... Silveraxe!

I suppose we should count Varys -- assuming that Aegon VI is a real Targ, of course.

I assume you're asking, not just for information, but  because you're  wondering how this will affect future events in Westeros. Let's remember that, at the start of AGOT, it had already been 17 years since Robert's Rebellion.  I wonder how many Targaryen supporters would remain loyal for that long.  Illyrio told Viserys that Westeros was full of people drinking secret toasts and sewing dragon banners, but that was probably just propaganda to keep him complacent.

Also, 17 years is a long time for one king to rule. Robert's reign was apparently fairly peaceful and prosperous for the Seven Kingdoms, especially when you compare it to the chaos that ensued after his death. The War of Five Kings has evolved into the Semi-final of Three Kings.  Imagine you're a lord trying to choose between Stannis, Tommen, and Euron; and then suddenly, after 20 yars' absence, a Targaryen boy appears and joins the fight. Even a Targ loyalist might have a tough time making that choice.

The Baratheon reign brought the kingdom to financial ruin.  House Baratheon could not even accomplish one smooth transition.  I would say there is more desire for a Targaryen restoration now because of the mess created by the Baratheons, Lannisters, Tullys, Starks, and Arryns.  Those families brought war and suffering.  These families took a kingdom that has stood for 300 years and made a big mess of it.  

3 hours ago, Big P said:

The Baratheon reign brought the kingdom to financial ruin.  House Baratheon could not even accomplish one smooth transition.  I would say there is more desire for a Targaryen restoration now because of the mess created by the Baratheons, Lannisters, Tullys, Starks, and Arryns.  Those families brought war and suffering.  These families took a kingdom that has stood for 300 years and made a big mess of it.  

Are you people physically unable of saying something different??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived