US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

The US is considering putting troops on the Canada-US border to prevent people leaving Canada and crossing into the US.

I kid you not. Like, I want to sneak into the state of the New York right now. 

Someone in the WH thinks Canadians want to leave Canada for the pestilent US in the middle of a pandemic, to leave a country with universal health care where we are testing at a far greater rate for the coronavirus than the US is for...what reason?

The US wants troops on the border to stop Covid-19 getting into the US. The Prime Minister's office has had conversations with the WH asking them not to do that.

I for one would be happy to see it, to stop Americans from sneaking into Canada.

Canadian officials are being very diplomatic, saying every country is trying to do things quickly.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The US is considering putting troops on the Canada-US border to prevent people leaving Canada and crossing into the US.

Someone in the WH thinks Canadians want to leave Canada for the pestilent US in the middle of a pandemic, to leave a country with universal health care where we are testing at a far greater rate for the coronavirus than the US is for...what reason?

The US wants troops on the border to stop Covid-19 getting into the US. The Prime Minister's office has had conversations with the WH asking them not to do that.

I for one would be happy to see it, to stop Americans from sneaking into Canada.

Canadian officials are being very diplomatic, saying every country is trying to do things quickly.

And the Berlin Wall was to keep people from sneaking into the DDR. 

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

C'mon.

They're there to shoot the virus on sight. Don't believe anything else.

Regarding Birds border comment-

In my youth before 9/11 we could go down to Ontario anytime without a passport, you could cross over as easily as you could cross the Mackinac Bridge.

I used to love going to the beach in Port Stanley, Niagara Falls, Windsor was nice to leave Detroit behind, went fishing in Wawa.

Nowadays I know people tell me you can't get in even with as little as a DUI on your record. It's a different time unfortunately. 

I still wanted to go on Agawa railride, Algonquin Park and maybe Whistler, Banff or Vancouver but haven't even considered it with the nuisance Bush made it to visit over there. Using a passport to visit Canada remains a strange and unnatural experience to me, I wish that border was like it was when I was younger.

We regularly get Canadian currency mixed in with our coins in Michigan and just treat it the same as U.S. coins lol.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The US is going to move into #1 in confirmed cases either today or tomorrow.  So....

USA!

USA!

USA!

This is what we cheer for when Simone Biles isn’t allowed to cave little girl’s’ heads in.  

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, it's not even going to be close by the time this all finishes. 

Well, there could be competition from late contenders like India and Brazil.  But none of you Eurocommies stand any chance. 

Gotta say, Sanders is absolutely worthless for getting anything done in Congress, or getting Republicans to incorporate his stuff into bills, or having any actual policy ideas that can make it into legislation.  Would be so cool if he could just once work across the aisle or do some actual legislating, but he's probabaly just going to be too busy campaigning to do his actual job until the convention lol. 

Meanwhile we've got Biden the Great Compromiser and Stuff Doer out there making it happen, during a global crisis, keeping in touch with the citizenry, and making everyone feel safe and secure.  

ETA: can someone look into Sanders past please?  Biden has been extremely vetted and I am super confident he has no skeletons in his closet. 

Is @Tywin Manderly a bot Ran created that automatically generates new threads immediately upon the previous one hitting 401 posts?

50 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The US is going to move into #1 in confirmed cases either today or tomorrow.  So....

USA!

Freedom isn't free.

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Trump holding back the federal response to arming the frontline healthcare workers is the most baffling Trump move that I can think of.  Not because I'm under any illusions about how much Trump cares about no one but himself.  But because this move seems so obviously both the right thing to do but also in Trump's self-interest.   It's almost like his actions are being controlled by an anti-American leader from across the world.  

Or he just hasn't figured ot how to personally profit from such a move yet.  It's probably both. 

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Well, there could be competition from late contenders like India and Brazil.  But none of you Eurocommies stand any chance. 

India went full lockdown yesterday, but Bolsonaro seems to be following the Trump path so Brazil has potential 

49 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Trump holding back the federal response to arming the frontline healthcare workers is the most baffling Trump move that I can think of.  Not because I'm under any illusions about how much Trump cares about no one but himself.  But because this move seems so obviously both the right thing to do but also in Trump's self-interest.   It's almost like his actions are being controlled by an anti-American leader from across the world.  

Hey those supplies are good leverage

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Jim Jones also announced a price on Maduro's head for narcotics and terrorism.  20 million smackeroos.  But no ventilators for mean NY.  Ya know, bloomb still has scads of moola and a huge contacts list . . . . 

12 minutes ago, Triskele said:

This is honestly probably the likeliest explanation.  Trying to hold America hostage and profit from it.  

It's also textbook Trump to create a problem then claim credit for "fixing it" and blaming *insert Democrat he's most mad at at the time* for starting the problem.  Just, ya know, hopefully this time he actually "fixes" it.

In the Task Force press conference Trump just said ‘we already have troops at the (Canadian) border’ and ‘we have a lot of trade problems with Canada, you know, dumping steel, Chinese steel, things are so much better now here in the USA

Oh, and ‘the mortality rate for Covid-19 is way way down, much lower than I ever thought, and that’s why we’re going to get back to work.’

You are sending a hospital ship to the largest city in the country that is currently in crisis. The worst outbreak of a pandemic. How do you announce the dispatch of the ship?

/smfh

Archived