US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

making the rounds of my Facebook.  Assorted quasi-relatives were indeed deathly sick during the holidaze.  To me, it looks like a 'greed over people' thing.  Once Trump starts pushing it, Jace will have to accelerate her mass grave program.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-coronavirus-begin-us-matters/?fbclid=IwAR1K7aaNoUgdAXyDGXj5jPY0zqhOmyuCb_IRPiSq2sONS1uADsJEDW4ViW4

These are not mere academic questions. They should determine our public policy response. Knowing when the virus began and what we think occurred in January and February (and perhaps even December) will help determine not only how severe this virus is, but how far along we are into the epidemic. If we really had hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of cases, along with several thousand more fatalities prior to testing, that would mean that the mortality rate is even lower than the 1.2% post-testing average so far. It would also mean we are farther along in the epidemic and that many have already been exposed to it, thereby making a categorical and nationwide lockdown counterintuitive at this point.

What led our government and the governments of many other countries into panic was a single Imperial College of U.K. study, funded by global warming activists, that predicted 2.2 million deaths if we didn’t lock down the country. In addition, the reported 8-9% death rate in Italy scared us into thinking there was some other mutation of this virus that they got, which might have come here. Together with the fact that we were finally testing and had the ability to actually report new cases, we thought we were headed for a death spiral. But again, as my colleague Steve Deace pointed out, we can’t flatten a curve if we don’t know when the curve started.

22 minutes ago, Hereward said:

If you think that countries that have state-funded healthcare don’t care about whether that money is spent “efficiently”, I have a bridge to sell you.

Hereward! Good to see you back. People have a lot of time on their hands at the moment I guess.

Found a transcript on Twitter of the meat of Cuomo's speech to the national guard today. Bill Pullman's definitely saying this verbatim in the movie about all this that'll come out in 3 years.

This is a different beast that we're dealing with. This is an invisible beast. It is an insidious beast. This is not going to be a short deployment. This is going to be weeks and weeks and weeks. This is going to be a long day. And it's going to be a hard day. And it's going to be a ugly day. And it's going to be a sad day. This is a rescue mission that you're on. The mission is to save lives...and as hard as we work, we're not going to be able to save everyone. And what's even more cruel is that this enemy doesn't attack the strongest of us. It attacks the weakest of us. It attacks our most vulnerable. Which makes it even worse; because these are the people that every instinct tells us we're supposed to protect. These are our parents and grandparents these are our aunts, our uncles, our relative who's sick. And every instinct says protect *them*, help *them*, because they need us. And those are the exact people this enemy attacks.

Every time I've called out to the National Guard I've said the same thing to you, I promise you I will not ask you to do anything I will not do myself. And I will never ask you to go anywhere I won't go myself. And the same is true here. We're going to do this, and we're going to do this together.

You are living a moment in history. This is going to be one of those moments they're going to write about and they're going to talk about for generations. This is a moment that is going to change this nation. This is a moment that forges character. Forges people. Changes people. Makes them stronger. Makes them weaker—but this is a moment that will change character.

And ten years from now, you'll be talking about today to your children or your grandchildren, and you will shed a tear, because you will remember the lives lost. And you'll remember the faces. And you'll remember the names. And you'll remember how hard we worked, and that we still lost loved ones. And you'll shed a tear—and you should, because it will be sad. But you'll also be proud. You'll be proud of what you did. You'll be proud that you showed up. You showed up when others played it safe. You had the courage to show up, and you had the skill and professionalism to make a difference and save lives...and at the end of the day, nobody can ask any more from you. That is your duty. To do what you can, when you can.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

If you think that countries that have state-funded healthcare don’t care about whether that money is spent “efficiently”, I have a bridge to sell you.

Huh? 

I can't speak for any other country, but the sidefuck games that hospitals and insurance companies play with each other in America is gross. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Found a transcript on Twitter of the meat of Cuomo's speech to the national guard today. Bill Pullman's definitely saying this verbatim in the movie about all this that'll come out in 3 years.

He did that very well.

NY has a plethora of highly talented writers, who pay a lot of attention.

24 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Huh? 

I can't speak for any other country, but the sidefuck games that hospitals and insurance companies play with each other in America is gross. 

You said  "the answer is to not run hospitals for profit, so it shouldn't matter how many beds are normally in use."

I pointed out that civilised countries that have state-funded healthcare also spend an inordinate amount of time arguing about how that money is spent and therefore worry constantly about how many beds are in use. Admittedly, that will now almost certainly change.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

So Biden has had an accuser come out and say that he sexually assaulted her in 1993. Which is probably accurate. 

I think Simon posted on this earlier, but it got no response.  It's undeniable that he has a habit of invading women's personal space and making them visibly uncomfortable.  That's been caught on tape on multiple occasions.  My guess is that many Democrats will either ignore or brush this accusation under the rug.  Biden is carrying around a ton of baggage, and despite the stock market collapsing, a disastrous response to the coronavirus pandemic, and a likely recession by the fall, I'm not sure that Biden will win.  It should be a no brainer, but I wouldn't bet money on it.  It's clear that Trump's supporters will excuse anything and will be voting for Trump in the fall.  Will enough Democrats ignore all of Biden's many past failings?  Not sure.

Heard something I had totally overlooked. 2020 is going to have one of the biggest primary incumbency advantages ever. Challengers won't have a chance due to the inability to raise money and get their names out there. Some can't even get the necessary signatures to get on the ballet. 

Well they don't have to do the ballet, can they try a simple dab?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heard something I had totally overlooked. 2020 is going to have one of the biggest primary incumbency advantages ever. Challengers won't have a chance due to the inability to raise money and get their names out there. Some can't even get the necessary signatures to get on the ballet. 

35 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

I think Simon posted on this earlier, but it got no response.  It's undeniable that he has a habit of invading women's personal space and making them visibly uncomfortable.  That's been caught on tape on multiple occasions.  My guess is that many Democrats will either ignore or brush this accusation under the rug.  Biden is carrying around a ton of baggage, and despite the stock market collapsing, a disastrous response to the coronavirus pandemic, and a likely recession by the fall, I'm not sure that Biden will win.  It should be a no brainer, but I wouldn't bet money on it.  It's clear that Trump's supporters will excuse anything and will be voting for Trump in the fall.  Will enough Democrats ignore all of Biden's many past failings?  Not sure.

Yeah, after Reade went on Katie Halper's podcast this started getting some traction in left wing media, but as far as I know no major news org touched it until today when vox wrote about it.  But even they did it sort of sideways, if you look at the headline.  Yahoo news also picked it up but then inexplicably moved it to their sports section.

Sweet geez, listening to Trump rant and rave and ramble is enough to make a person puke.

Holy fuck.

'Don't call the governor of Washington, don't call the woman in Michigan, but Pence calls them anyway.'

'The previous administration left empty shelves, we filled them, we filled them twice, we filled them many many times.'

800,000 Physicians Tell Trump Social Distancing Must Continue
President Donald Trump said he wants businesses open by Easter. Medical professionals say otherwise.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/doctors-trump-social-distancing_n_5e7e0bb3c5b6256a7a29273f

More than 800,000 physicians across the country signed a letter urging President Donald Trump to keep social distancing practices in place after he said he wants to reopen businesses by Easter.

“Significant COVID-19 transmission continues across the United States, and we need your leadership in supporting science-based recommendations on social distancing that can slow the virus,” the letter, released by the Council of Medical Specialty Societies, said. “Our societies have closely adhered to these measures by moving our staff to fulltime telework and canceling in-person meetings (including annual meetings). These actions have helped to keep physicians and other health professionals in health care facilities, including hospitals, a

nd reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.”

Just went down to my mailbox a few minutes ago, and found a postcard that on the front side says:

PRESIDENT TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINES FOR AMERICA

The back side has a list of reasonable things -- the first one, oddly, being;

Listen and follow the directions of your STATE AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

(By the way, the lack of "to" after "listen" is not my mistake but the way the postcard is printed.)

It goes on to give advice about isolation, avoiding gatherings of more than 10, practicing good hygiene, etc.

And it says "please visit CORONAVIRUS.GOV" for more information. It's dated March 16.

Has this been mentioned on this thread before and I missed it? It just seems outrageous to me that this postcard is labeled "President Trump's guidelines". No wonder so many people tell pollsters he's doing a "good job" in this crisis if a lot of people got this card before I did. 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Just went down to my mailbox a few minutes ago, and found a postcard that on the front side says:

It goes on to give advice about isolation, avoiding gatherings of more than 10, practicing good hygiene, etc.

And it says "please visit CORONAVIRUS.GOV" for more information. It's dated March 16.

Has this been mentioned on this thread before and I missed it? It just seems outrageous to me that this postcard is labeled "President Trump's guidelines". No wonder so many people tell pollsters he's doing a "good job" in this cris if a lot of people got this card before I did. 

Yeah I got one too, I live above a rural post office and it's been funny watching people reading this on the way back to their cars after getting their mail for the last couple days.  On social media it's been offered as a substitute for toilet paper in times of shortage.

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

(By the way, the lack of "to" after "listen" is not my mistake but the way the postcard is printed.)

Has this been mentioned on this thread before and I missed it? It just seems outrageous to me that this postcard is labeled "President Trump's guidelines". No wonder so many people tell pollsters he's doing a "good job" in this cris if a lot of people got this card before I did. 

People have been posting pictures on Facebook. Like Trump invented it all. His guidelines.

That drives me insane while I watch the press conferences. Pence constantly says "thanks to the fantastic guidelines President Trump has created". That's what I meant a few days ago when I mentioned the "Dear Leader" aspect of these damn conferences.

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

Yeah, after Reade went on Katie Halper's podcast this started getting some traction in left wing media, but as far as I know no major news org touched it until today when vox wrote about it.  But even they did it sort of sideways, if you look at the headline.  Yahoo news also picked it up but then inexplicably moved it to their sports section.

Is Reade's allegation really any less credible than Ford's accusation against Kavanaugh?  Many democrats weighed in on Ford's allegation, including Biden himself who stated:

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you've got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she's talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts, whether or not it's been made worse or better over time. But nobody fails to understand that this is like jumping into a cauldron."

Many Democrats are convinced that Kavanaugh assaulted Ford.  How many of these people are convinced that Biden assaulted Reade?  Right now, the coronavirus coverage is drowning out everything else, but this story will certainly blow up eventually.  

18 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Is Reade's allegation really any less credible than Ford's accusation against Kavanaugh?  Many democrats weighed in on Ford's allegation, including Biden himself who stated:

Many Democrats are convinced that Kavanaugh assaulted Ford.  How many of these people are convinced that Biden assaulted Reade?  Right now, the coronavirus coverage is drowning out everything else, but this story will certainly blow up eventually.  

Don't worry, Trump will buy her a front row seat at the first debate.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Well they don't have to do the ballet, can they try a simple dab?

???

Tywin brain not work so well right now after having to write an eight paragraph email to my boss about the offices total lack of implementing social distancing. 

Time to go have and have stiff drink.

30 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Right now, the coronavirus coverage is drowning out everything else, but this story will certainly blow up eventually.  

If it blows up in early October and many prominent Democrats call on Biden to drop out of the race, then he'll be a shoo-in to win the election.

Archived