US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

34 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Realizing I'm just another random person on the internet, but in Oklahoma, the procedure for testing has been that unless you're needing to be hospitalized, or have come into contact with someone with a positive diagnosis, you cannot get tested, whether you're presenting with symptoms or not. So there are certainly at least hundreds of uncounted cases in a fairly rural state.

That's not to say healthcare providers are diagnosing people over the phone, but there was certainly an active effort by this administration to deliberately not test people, and the only question is how large the pool of untested infected individuals actually is. 

That's a fair and nuanced statement. The one I responded to was unqualified fear mongering.

30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has the surge in deaths over the past few days began to make any impression on public opinion of the administration?

No. And it won't.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has the surge in deaths over the past few days began to make any impression on public opinion of the administration?

No, but it is funny to see people's faces when you report them. Best believe I included them in the email I sent to one of my bosses.

He's a decent man, we'll see what happens.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I disagree. Trump’s approval ticked up. Probably will again as the death toll rises. All he has to do is blame foreigners.

The increase in his approval rating will only lead to him sinking in to bad policies.

Stay safe. We may be on our own soon. 

Nancy Pelosi on CNN.

’We were meeting in McConnell’s office last Sunday (with Schumer and Mnuchin) and I said since it’s Sunday and churches are closed I said let’s start with a prayer, and I quoted Pope Francis’ prayer that leaders will be enlightened, and Secretary Mnuchin said well since you led with a prayer I’ll quote the markets.’

Paraphrased, of course. 

I just watched the governor of Nebraska being interviewed. If I lived in Nebraska I’d be very afraid.

They don’t have any tests, they’ve only done a few thousand, and they will look county by county and make decisions about reopening schools and businesses.

Good luck, guys!

13 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I have been reading posts on Facebook and attached to articles on this pandemic.  One thing stands out - the vast majority of people who appear to have or had this disease were flat out denied testing.  That tells me that the true number of COVID 19 patients, and corresponding death toll is understated in the US by something on the order of a factor of ten.  

For comparison, in Scotland the chief medical officer was estimating recently that the number of infections is probably about 50 times the number of official cases.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, but it is funny to see people's faces when you report them. Best believe I included them in the email I sent to one of my bosses.

He's a decent man, we'll see what happens.

The increase in his approval rating will only lead to him sinking in to bad policies.

Stay safe. We may be on our own soon. 

Of course!

No matter what he does, his approval rating won't go down so long as he keeps to his usual rhetoric.

If the economy tanks...the better! 

War-time presidents are popular.

This is Trump’s war, and a war that's actually killing a lot of American.  I expect him to literally say they're at war with the virus one of these days. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just watched the governor of Nebraska being interviewed. If I lived in Nebraska I’d be very afraid.

They don’t have any tests, they’ve only done a few thousand, and they will look county by county and make decisions about reopening schools and businesses.

Good luck, guys!

That's kind of in general, not due to the crisis. 

16 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Of course!

No matter what he does, his approval rating won't go down so long as he keeps to his usual rhetoric.

If the economy tanks...the better! 

War-time presidents are popular.

This is Trump’s war, and a war that's actually killing a lot of American.  I expect him to literally say they're at war with the virus one of these days. 

He has already.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Good luck, guys!

Yes, he's pretty awful. However, the restrictions in the metro areas (schools shut down, no gatherings of over 10, only take out at restaurants, etc.) cover most of the state's population and everyone is saying the compliance rate here is about 90%. This is possibly because Omaha has one of the most prominent infectious disease isolation wards in the country at UNMC, and so we get really good scientific advice on the local news from the experts there. I would be really worried if I lived in one of the smaller towns, though.

P.S. I don't know what you heard Ricketts say about tests, but local health officials report Nebraska has had a dramatic increase in testing. I wouldn't believe what Ricketts says about medical facts in Nebraska any more than I believe what Trump says about national figures. 

https://journalstar.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/nebraska-tops-covid--cases-restrictions-tightened-in-more-counties/article_4c3262ed-1fe6-513c-b14d-d5fc778a940a.html

Cuomo's address today completed.

We're getting some medical aid.  But the trillions bill passed?  For all sorts of things to fill in budget gaps for the states, as in education?  NY gets ... NOTHING.

He does have a calming effect if only because we can see somebody who isn't insane working his ass off trying to get things done, learn what is going on, and with a desire to help his state, which by golly he does love.

However, as someone we know commented, "It would be good for a change if the US could see a politician actually do his job and not immediately start yelling, run for POTUS."

possible 100,000-200,000 dead in US from this pandemic - according to one of the very few Team Trump members with the credentials to make such a determination

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-could-face-200000-coronavirus-deaths-millions-of-cases-fauci-warns/ar-BB11S5uv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

* U.S. cases top 137,000, over 2,400 deaths

* Coronavirus death every 6 minutes in New York State

* Florida reports no new deaths overnight

* NYC, New Orleans, Michigan short on medical equipment

* Trump to hold news conference at 5 p.m. ET (2100 GMT) (Updates cases and deaths)

WASHINGTON/CHICAGO, March 29 - U.S. deaths from coronavirus could reach 200,000 with millions of cases, the government's top infectious diseases expert warned on Sunday as New York, New Orleans and other major cities pleaded for more medical supplies.

Bing COVID-19 tracker: Latest numbers by country and state

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimated in an interview with CNN that the pandemic could cause between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths in the United States.

Since 2010, the flu has killed between 12,000 and 61,000 Americans a year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The 1918-19 flu pandemic killed 675,000 in the United States, according to the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/pandemic-preparedness.htm.

The U.S. coronavirus death toll topped 2,400 on Sunday, after deaths on Saturday more than doubled from the level two days prior. The United States has now recorded more than 137,000 cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, the most of any country in the world. (Graphic: https://tmsnrt.rs/2w7hX9T)

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Calm yourself, and write the lies down on paper. It's fun in a Jace kind of way.

And you just got your China bingo slot. 

It's okay, I took a huge bong rip and my blood pressure is almost back to normal.

Archived